Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erinnatani_gw

Which kitchen cabinets? Schuler, Belmont? Brookhaven?

erinnatani
9 years ago

I am agonizing over which cabinets to choose for our kitchen remodel. We have talked to 3 places and received quotes from all 3. The difference in quotes is 4-5,000 dollar difference! Are we really getting more quality from the local shops than a place like Lowes? The ones from Lowes we are looking at the Schuler line in a painted white shaker style. We are looking at the Belmont 1900 series and the Brookhaven or DeWils. All white painted shaker style with plywood boxes. I can't find enough reviews for the difference in quality. Or GC will install them all. Help!

Comments (11)

• SparklingWater
    9 years ago

I looked at Brookhaven but went with Elkay's frameless Innermost (Elkay Cabinetry also manufacture's Schuler). I got a lot of white painted cabinets-twenty three including the tall pantry as well as trim and moulding.

I'm really happy with them (although I'm still dealing with a glass cabinet hinge alignment situation that's gone on to long with Elkay). The satin paint finish is great-a low luster rather than matte, very durable to everyday use and cleans up (i.e., avoids stains) very well by using Elkay's directions. The interiors of my white painted Elkay product are birch (except glass cabinets) and all are even in color tone and texture bar. The maple wood didn't have knots, and the interior edge banding is the same as the birch (baring one small drawer on the bottom which is darker in color). I didn't have any returns to the company: all came very nicely done.

Brookhaven has a great reputation too. My GC was very helpful in figuring out an initial question on venting, and his connection was with a designer who sold Innermost, and I wanted frameless so voila!

Schüler face framed white shaker would have been my second choice, as I truly like Elkay Cabinetry satin finish. I spent a lot of time there with a different KD. What color white are you contemplating?

• williamsem
    9 years ago

Of those, I think Bellmont may be the only frameless line (though not certain). If that matters, then you can differentiate based on that. I have the 1900 series installed, just about a year now. They are solid, well built, and I would absolutely use them again. Can't really comment on the other lines in comparison.

• mattiew
    9 years ago

Based on reviews from here, we went with Brookhaven. At that time (2008), the feedback I was seeing was that the paint finish was very durable and even. I was happy with the cabinets (we have since moved), nice construction and held up well. We had a few issues with the cabinet door fronts (shifted during shipping which exposed unpainted portions) but these were quickly replaced. I LOVED the kitchen designer that sold this line; great about finding options to reduce cost, making the most of the space etc. In our city more than one dealer carried Brookhaven, the first I went to was not as helpful and didn't seem interested in helping us reduce the cost.

Not long before we renovated our kitchen, my mother renovated using a nice cabinet from Lowe's. The service and attention to detail that I received from the local company was outstanding, her experience was just ok. She had to really stay on top of them to correct problems.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I have to thank the posters this thread as I will use this information to help myself. I thought I knew what I wanted but now I am confused but I do know I want White Shaker Cabinets as that has been my taste for several years.

• Majra
    9 years ago

I'm happy with my Schuler cabinetry and had a great experience with Lowe's.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Majra, thank you for letting all of us know. I may check out Schuler Cabinetry at Lowes.

• vdinli
    9 years ago

If you are limited for space in anyway, go with frameless cabinets. Both Bellmont and Brookhaven have frameless cabinets. Just see a side by side comparison on base drawers-you get so much more space! Good luck on your decision making process. We are just about narrowing it down and it has not been easy.

• akshars_mom
    9 years ago

We have Belmont 1900 series cabinets in Painted white and the Cherry with Spice stain. They have only been in use a few weeks but so far we have been happy. The KD we worked with us was great. I think people have mixed results with big box stores. Only you can decide if the KD there will work for you. Be prepared to spend more time on tracking everything if you go that route.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

We also have Bellmont 1900 series - ours are melamine lowers and acrylic uppers. We're happy with them, but I don't really know how to analyze the quality (plywood boxes, and as I said, melamine interiors (which I like better than wood for ease of cleaning) and melamine/acrylic exteriors. The one change I would make is to put in heavy duty glides for the drawer that holds my dishes, but everything else is fine.

I also think the KD issue that akshars mom mentioned is true whether its a big box store or not. Some are great, some are not. Ours was ok, but we had to be aware of every little detail.

• agk2003
    9 years ago

sjhockeyfan love your kitchen! we are doing a transitional look with frameless white shaker but i also love the modern look of yours.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Thanks!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!