Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazy_gardens

Finally ... DEMOLITION!!!! and Countertops coming.

lazy_gardens
11 years ago

UPDATES: May 23.

I have finally finished the cabinets under the counter overhang. More shelves are drying in the garage.

And I have a backsplash!
==================

After an amazing series of delays ... the contractor's virus-induced arthralgia, my norovirus ... etc. this mini-project is going again!!!!

He's taking out countertops today to replace them with my nice granite and butcherblock stuff.

And a shiny new sink.

This post was edited by lazygardens on Fri, May 23, 14 at 18:31

Comments (17)

• ruthie51
    11 years ago

Good luck with everything, lazygardens. Sorry about the health issues but hopefully it's all behind you now. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

• stacieann63
    11 years ago

That is awesome. Looking forward to the pictures. Hope you are feeling better.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Hope all goes smoothly now.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Hurray! Hope things go smoothly from here!

• lazy_gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Materials as shown, keyed off the existing Saltillo-look floor tile (the fragment) and the re-stained walnut cabinets.

Perfect Plank alder strip, unstained and Waterloxed - $500
    Remnant of Juparana Florencia - the only thing that worked with the floor tile $280
    Backsplash - incredibly inexpensive cream 3x6 tiles plus grout $45

Sink - Ikea Boholmen 2-bowl with drainboard $180
    Faucet - Price Pfister Avanti $140
    Fittings - (drains, 1/4 turn valves, supply lines) $70

Wet bar:
    Sink - reused existing
    Faucet - Aqua Source $80
    Fittings - $50

Finishing Materials:
    General Finishes Gel stain: $30
    General Finishes topcoat: $15
    Waterlox: $30
    Silicone Caulk/adhesive: $20

Stove and microwave doesn't count, because the old one died, but it was $700 used.

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

I love that countertop stone. It looks so natural and interesting.

• lazy_gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And a bit of a Tah-Dah ... although 2x4s propping up the counters aren't exciting. We still need to install the backsplash, do some trim work, and build the bookcase / wine rack / cabinets that will be where the door-less cabinets are.

Changes:
    * the entrance to kitchen widened by reducing counter overhang from 12 inches to 1.5
    * the totally useless narrow "breakfast bar" that wrapped around the peninsula at the level of the lower counter was removed, and the upper counter widened.

Actual befores and afters - and a couple of process pics showing sleazy tract home cabinet installation practices later.

• stacieann63
    11 years ago

Looks great so far! Is the stone on both sides of the range? I think I see it in the picture but hard to see. How do you join the wood counter and the stone at the seams? Just curious. I like the idea of mixing the different materials for the counters. It makes the space so much more interesting. Looking forward to seeing more pictures!

• lazy_gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Joins in counters will be covered by Schlüter's "RENO-T" strip tapped into a well-siliconed joint. I will be antiquing their solid brass t-strip to blend with the wood and stone.

Yes, stone is on both sides of the range - useful landing pad for hot stuff. I would have bought a kitchen-full of it, but this is a low-budget update.

I took a cabinet door and a chunk of floor tile to a granite yard that advertises its scraps on Craigslist and told them I wanted two teensy bits of granite and it had to blend with the existing kitchen. The poor salesguy helped me go through 2500+ square feet of stacked scraps and there were just TWO remnants that weren't too greyish, too yellowish, or too whatever-ish. It wasn't actually too bad. I rejected a couple and he narrowed down the remainder to just the reddish toned ones.

A side effect of the new sink is that the disposal and drains are farther back in the cabinet, and way to the left ... I get way more usable undercounter space than previously.

• stacieann63
    11 years ago

Very nice! You are going to love that extra space under the cabinet with the offset drain. I couldn't believe how much more space there under there. Your butcherblock is beautiful.

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

Looks great!

• lazy_gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the before, with the over/under 1980s stove, cream laminate countertops and faded walnut cabinetry.

• lazy_gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's an "after" ... minus the backsplash.

It was spread out over several years as finances and schedule and health permitted.

1 - Gel stain on the cabinets to get them back to walnut color. This made the countertops look really bad.

2 - Stove died, got the MW/vent and smooth top range combo. Made the countertops look even worse. Decided to replace countertops.

Bought the granite, stuck it in the garage (almost 2 years)

Wasted a LOT of time hoping IKEA would get the remaining counter top piece I wanted back in stock, finally gave up and sold what I had on Craigslist and ordered alder from Perfect Plank in CA .

Ski season, then bought house in NM ... countertops sat in the garage for a year waiting for me to get back to them.

3 - Did the wet bar counter (or I should say "prep sink" or "coffee bar" to be trendy).

Ski season, norovirus, etc ....

4 - Countertops.

Next up is the backsplash and cabinets where the old breakfast bar was.

Then it's done!

• lazy_gardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And I finally have a backsplash! Plain cream glossy 3x6 tiles with matching grout ... it was about $2 a square foot.

TIP: For small areas like this, use the smallest grout float you can find, and the smallest adhesive spreaders. It makes it easier. I altered a couple of plastic drywall mud knives - one was just as wide as the single row that runs under the window. And I used a silicon spatula to force grout into the cracks on that row, and in a few other places where the float was too big.

Tile saws are wonderful! Or at least my neighbor's small one was. He buys really GOOD blades :)

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Congrats! Looking good :)

• romy718
    9 years ago

Love the alder. You're backsplash looks great!

• lazy_gardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not my kitchen, but you can see what the counters looked like ... a narrow (useless) "breakfast bar" and 2 levels of counter.

I widened the upper and got rid of the wrap-around lower section and widened it to match the upper.

With the dining area in an open plan right next to the kitchen, the breakfast bar was useless. Bigger counters!