I gave several(4) GC's 7 attachments to form a bid -

I-1.0 Demolition Plan

I-1.1 Proposed Plan

I-1.2 Kitchen & Living Space - Dimension Plan

I-1.3 Bath & Closet Dimension Plan

I-2.1 Electrical & Lighting Plan

I-3.1 Elevations-kitchen

I-O.1 Project Info

I got back an answer from 1 asking for the scope of work. I'm confused! Also, I need final bids from GC's before I can make informed (does it fit into my budget) decisions about cabinets(I'm down to 2), counters, backsplash, etc... Yes, this project is based on a budget and it's not open ended. But shouldn't all the attached information give the GC most of the information he needs?

Thanks for straightening me out!

Sherri

Comments (6)

• weissman
    14 years ago

Without seeing your plans it's hard to answer but generally the scope of work is what you're specifically asking them to do (as opposed to things you'll be taking care of yourself or hiring others to do). It sounds like your attachments are not detailed enough or not clear enough.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Some contractors want a very clear picture of exactly what or what is not happening particularly with regards to the existing.

I worked out a scope of work with one contractor that included statements such as.

"Surface imperfections of existing drywall that is not to be replaced, are to be left in existing condition"

"The worksite is to be vacuumed by the contractor at the end of each workday"

Not everyone wants or even knows what to do with details like this. I presented a scope of work to a general contractor who said it was too specific/detailed and didn't want to bid on the project..(and I guess I didn't want him to either).

So, it sounds like this contractor wants more details.

• Sherri Stein
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much! I guess it's list generating time.

Weissman - I'll put the plans (PDF) up once I figure out how. I tried before using google docs - but it didn't work.

I love the suggestions Palimpsest. I 'll include them.

Keep the ideas flowing!

• Sherri Stein
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Since I want more suggestions for what everyone puts in their scope of work - I'm going to bounce.

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

Sometimes its a matter of stating what you DON'T want to do, like additional bathrooms, window replacements, patio upgrades and so on. Things that perhaps that someone else may be doing at the same time or at a later date. Landscaping if the outside elevations have changed. HVAC if vents need to be moved or there is more volume in the house than before.

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

Scope of work:

Products to be used, by model, color, SKU, grade, finish, etc. Be absolutely anal-retentive (including the hyphen) on this. That means that you have your design details all nailed down before you go for bids, including backup product choices in case your first choice is unavailable.

Alternatively, ask for a bid minus the cabinets and fixtures, with them to be specified later when you know the cost of getting the preliminary work done. If the demolition and rebuild bids are near 40K and your budget is only 20K ... something's got to give.

Who buys what ... if you are planning to buy things, specify what the contractor is not responsible for. Note that the contractor will not guarantee the performance of the products you buy. A common split is that the client buys the visible stuff and the contractor supplies the installation bits: you buy the sink and faucet, they buy the fittings and pipes to hook it up.

Who does what: If you plan to paint, specify that the drywall is to be primed with PVC drywall primer and left unpainted. If you will have a woodworker in to install something fancy, like a custom cabinet, specify that, and make sure the GC knows that X has to be done before that, and that Y has to wait until afterwards ...

It can be incredibly detailed.