Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsg26

Painted kitchen and family room gray, need help with cabinets!

jsg26
10 years ago

Hey guys, I have been trolling the kitchen forums forever but finally signed up to post this question since I love everyone's perspectives and opinions on here!

In my home which we bought a couple months ago, there was a super traditional and almost putrid yellow/gold color with a faux finish on top that covered the open floor plan family room and kitchen. The kitchen cabinets are glazed and have a bit of an antique finish look to them and are not yellow but are off white. But they look horrible with the BM Revere Pewter we painted.

Yes we knew this going in! We are really debating whether to:

Repaint (we were going to continue the gray into the foyer and second floor if we keep it),

Paint just the kitchen area with a different color that is close to the cabinets and matches the gray, this is really difficult! One color is ideal as it is one space but two colors can maybe work?

The last is to think about refinishing the cabinets, changing the granite to marble, and changing the backsplash but we really don't want to have to do that now, at some point yes, but not right now.

Obviously less expensive to repaint, but we wanted to know if you had any ideas on what we could do or a complimentary color for the kitchen and revere pewter. We don't have art yet or all the furniture so maybe that's another way of connecting the two colors together?

Here was before:

Comments (14)

• lenzai
    10 years ago

First: you have a lovely space and I would paint it all one color like you have.
    Before you start thinking of new paint colors, see if you can change your lightbulbs in the kitchen area to a different warmth (try warmer) that may make enough of a difference on the kitchen side to bring the green/tan undertones of RP out a little more. You could also change the hardware (esp the knobs)? Something less shiny silver? Are you doing anything with window treatments?
    As far as colors Revere Pewter is a great color (and have it in my house) but it just doesn't work with your cabinets. (it looks great on the big window wall) The previous wall color was warmer than the cabinets and made them look lighter/crisper. RP is a much colder color and is making your cabinets look dingy (which they aren't) it's just the difference in tone.
    I would look at the BM color deck and repaint with a gray that has more taupe with it. I would just get samples and paint specifically that little part of the wall that you showed in the first image as that's the hardest spot since you have the yellower cabinets and the much whiter trim.
    I can't suggest specific colors since they always look different on the computer. But I would go a little darker than RP and into the greige/taupe area. Something like Inner Balance or Camouflage (if it's reading correctly on my screen).
    No matter what, it's not really that bad and looks good from afar :)

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

it looks absolutely wonderful...don't paint or refinish-it's spring-go get some plants or fresh flowers and enjoy the space.

• peony4
    10 years ago

Ditto what herbflavor suggests.

Revere Pewter is a warmer gray, and on my monitor, it works well in your space, including next to the cabinets. Always live in your new space for a while before making major design decisions (although I think painting it a new color was a nice idea to make it feel like yours).

I'd keep it as is for a while.

• isabel98
    10 years ago

I actually think all the paint colors work fine. what I find off is the backsplash; it really doesn't relate to anything else. the counters maybe too but I think if the stone backsplash were taken out and put something that matched cabs, wall or even the dark lanterns it would be stunning.

I wouldn't paint the cabinets.

• jsg26
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you guys so much for the feedback. We're totally leaning towards repainting with a warmer gray or beige. Camouflage might be nice, any other recommendations for something that's classic and also can work with the slightly yellow cabinets and backsplash?

This post was edited by jsg4 on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 15:26

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I would post in Home Decor. They know paint colors and some don't post in the kitchens forum. I'd also post a close up of the back splash.

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

sherwin wiliams amazing gray has a bit of taupe in it. A slightly darker version is Anonymous. They are on the same deck card.

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

I love your cabinets and would not change them. I think the Revere Pewter looks nice with the off white cabinets but if it's not working for you, perhaps Edgecomb Gray is an option.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Take a look at BM Pashmina, Affinity Collection.

• Mick Mick
    10 years ago

I really like it. My thought is to add color through accessories and wall decor.

• jsg26
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We tried Pashmina, it's super dark unfortunately. Edgecombs looks like a potentially great option, going to try that and Camouflage and a couple other ones, thank you everyone!

• function_first
    10 years ago

Agree word for word with Herbflavor. It looks great.

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

Yes, definitely paint sample boards and put them all over. We tried Edgecomb. Looked so great in one area and absolutely pink in another. Didn't work out for us but might for you.