Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
local_eater

Mixing tile sizes in backsplash

localeater
11 years ago

I am still pondering the backsplash. I do feel like I have come so far in the understanding of what my kitchen needs, and what I need. I realize I almost forgot my vision of a calm and peaceful space. I realize that I need a slightly rustic feeling tile to complement the post and beam structure, but not too rustic, because my house is also contemporary and open.
I am wondering how I can mix tile sizes without getting too busy.
Does anyone have any images of mixing tiles of the same color using different field tile shapes?
I am thinking something like the below image, but with either all one color or 3 or 4 creamy shades in the bottom section.
{{gwi:1786339}}From GW Photos

This is an image of my kitchen

From GW Photos

Comments (73)

• localeater
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OK I went back to the tile store today. Red Rock is out it doesnt have the feel I am after. I did bring home one tile I had looked at before and wanted to try. It is by Antiquity Tile. I like the fact that it is a locally made tile. Here is an image of it(not the best light, it is a rainy day). It has a lot of variation in the glaze, which I like. {{gwi:1786383}}From GW Photos
    Allison, I am not really sure what you mean by trimming out the window. I tried to figure it out by looking at Houzz. Was this what you meant?

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/prospect-park-west-hall-bathroom-contemporary-bathroom-new-york-phvw-vp~740269)

[Contemporary Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2103) by New York Architect Horrigan O'Malley Architects
    Island, I haven't decided for sure yet how high I will go with the tile. I am thinking 3/4's of the window height. The other wall in my kitchen has a high splash in the countertop material behind the sink and I don't plan on doing anything else on that wall.

Sas- I have looked at Walker Zanger Alhambra. It was one of the first tiles I brought home, it really feels to feminine for my space. If that makes any sense at all.

• eam44
    11 years ago

Oh, forget Fireclay. If you like the Syzygy tiles and they fit your budget, use them. Keep in mind that their glazes are not very saturated, so of the "colors" you showed in your 4/8/13 post at 18:29 three of them look to me like normal color variation of a grey glazed handmade tile - perhaps they are clearer in your light, but you're also taking these images in your light. Don't let your color choice get muddy. Instead of paring down to one color, what about using four more-distinct colors (i.e. Lemon Ice, Reef, Limestone, and Azul)?

{{gwi:1786385}}{{gwi:1786386}}{{gwi:1786387}}{{gwi:1786388}}

Your inspiration image has lots of color. I think you'll like your result better if you use some too. Don't choose white and ash.

In addition to color you're thinking about pattern and mixing sizes. Go for it. If you're going to mix 1" x 1" and 4" x 4", as in your inspiration photo, consider using 2" x 2" as a transition instead of whatever that red border is, (in a less contrast-y color to your field tile colors than red).
    Aegean
    {{gwi:1786389}}

I think it helps visually to have a geometric progression (1" to 2" to 4"). I guess you have seen the Syzygy pattern blends, and ruled them out? You could use the multi size mix under the window and larger sized tiles above.

{{gwi:1786390}}

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Did you happen to see LWO's showroom reveal? I'm linking to it.

I love the tile in the Aristokraft bar. Would something like this work for you? I believe you're going for green but the blue pops so well with the brown. Of course, green and brown go beautifully as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: LWO showroom reveals

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Here's the blue in your kitchen.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

A thought - you could use green to match your island as the grout color and a different color tile.

Just playing here (MUST stop and get to work!).

Darker grey green:

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Another grey green.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

More grey.

• finestra
    11 years ago

I did the same glass tile/different shapes in my backsplash. I did glass tile though. I like tone on tone in different shapes. It gives a depth/interest to the backsplash without yelling.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1786324}}

This post was edited by finestra on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 9:00

• localeater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

EAM and Ob2b thanks for more advice and inspiration. I will get there eventually, I know I will.
    Finestra- yes, yes, yes. That is what I want. I need to find that balance of tone on tone. How did you do it? Maybe I should look at glass again. What brand and colors, did you use?
    Did you pick that mix of colors? How many colors? I want an even more subdued mix than you have.
    Can you give me the detail on the sizes and the liner? I think I am seeing 1x1's for 5 or 6 inches, then a very thin liner. Is the liner in one of the glass colors? It almost looks ceramic. The largest portion is 2" hexes, right

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Is there anything, or combination of things, on the Casa Dolce Casa website that speaks to you? On my iPad monitor, such as it is, some of the tile tones seem to coordinate with the pretty stone on your counters.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

EAM 44 Ooooh that random pattern Blend 27 is really pretty. I think I saw it installed at a local ASID Home Kitchen Tour at this house.
    http://designstudiowest.com/wp-content/gallery/kitchens/kitchens-48.jpg

It was the standout in this kitchen, but you'd never know it from the weird angled picture the KD chose to post on their website.

• finestra
    11 years ago

My tiles are oceanside glass tiles. I just winged it with the plan. They are 1x1 and almost 2" hexagons. The liner is actually like a pearl shape and it is their white glass tile. I ordered that off their outlet. The rest come in 12"x12" sheets. It was not a custom mix - it was their beach blonde mix. You can do your own mix of tiles. Mine are from their Tessera collection. They have a lot of great tiles. Some aren't glass.

Just so you know - I loved the iridescence, but you have to be careful about lighting if you go with it - mine doesn't show well with the undercounter lighting. It does best with natural or indirect light. That really bummed me out.

The colors look very different than they do on the website, so make sure you visit a dealer.

• eam44
    11 years ago

If you're interested in tone-on-tone consider using gloss and matte tiles (either glazes or finishes) of the same color. The image below is from Heath ceramics. They use glossy and matte glazes to create an argyle pattern. The third mosaic I posted on April 9 13 uses both glossy and matte finished glass.

• eam44
    11 years ago

How's the search going local? Have you found a tone-on-tone that inspires you?

• localeater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

EAM-Thanks for checking in. I am pretty stuck on the Syzygy tiles so I went ahead and ordered a sample board with a mix of tones. I used two whites, one glossy and one satin, ash grey and limestone. Now I have to wait.
    On other fronts, new stools have arrived, I have hung up new sconces in the kitchen, my window shades are coming any day, I am looking at fabric swatches to make valances; the kitchen is getting closer to finished everyday.

• eam44
    11 years ago

Fantastic - sounds like you're in a really productive groove! It's amazing isn't it, how a particular tile can grab at your heart. That's how you know you're in the right shop! I very much like the limestone and hope the mix works for you.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Say local:

Did I miss a thread or have you picked your tile yet?

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Deedle, No you didnt miss anything I am still struggling. (And I started a new job which is a lot more demanding than I had anticipated).
    I did order a tile sample in a color blend I specified and I think I like it but I am unsure. I also struggle with where to place the tile.
    Here is a mockup I did with the samples I received the colors are not tru because I am not skilled at making mockups-LOL

From Backsplash

The color is truer, here
    From Backsplash

• eam44
    10 years ago

Hi local. Hi dee. The tiles are beautiful. I love the colors. Could it be that the visual complexity they create is giving you pause? Your wood beams are the standout stars of your space right now and mixing both sizes and colors draws your eye to the bs instead - stage stealers.

You might find the mix calmer and more serene if you eliminate one of the colors. Try pulling out the darkest one and see what you get. Or even pare down to a two tone (the two mid tones) and mixing satin and gloss glazes that play with light differently. It'll be gorgeous and your patience will pay off.

• enduring
    10 years ago

I like the Syzygy tile, and the others that have that same glazy handmade feel. I like the square shaped tiles. Your very first inspirtation picture is pretty, but I don't like the small mosaic at the bottom with your kitchen. My take on your space is to use a single element that covers the wall, in a tile size that is around 6". Oldbats photoshop on April 9 at 7:25 is what I like but without the bottom mosaic. I love how your first picture shows the 4x4's color/texture. I keep wanting to see something on a large scale in application and not broken up with color mosaic. But I think 12x12 tiles as in some of the square photoshops might be too large. Your space has such bold strokes, I want to do the same with the tile, and not get it muddled up with fussy small textures. The mix of very subtile texture/color in a larger tile might be very pretty. I do not care for the mockup of the long view you posted today. BTW, I love your kitchen!

• corgimum
    10 years ago

I think if you make the tile above the range one color and keep the small mosaic at the bottom multicolor they will work together harmoniously (like your first inpiration photo above). Also thinking that with all the angles on that wall it might look good to tile all the way from the window to the corner beam instead of just under the hood area. But I don't know how that works with the other wall and your budget.

• corgimum
    10 years ago

Duplicate post

This post was edited by corgimum on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 10:06

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

OK, I admit: I'm really boring, so I would pick a very simple tile. To me, your beams and your window are the focal point. I don' t know about your view, but a wall of small busy tiles make the eye stop at the wall.

• deedles
    10 years ago

So, I'm sick of messing with my own virtual backsplash.... I decided to mess with yours:)

Just grabbed the tile from the image you posted first and tweaked it from what oldbat2B did with it.

I think those colors are great. All I did was keep the big ones behind the stove instead of the whole wall and then added the brown trim tile up the sides of the green squares. I had to throw something in to balance the window so I grabbed some chunky, rustic shelves.

I think those exact colors look beautiful in your kitchen!

Whachoo think?

• deedles
    10 years ago

Personally I like the mixture in the first pic, but that's just me.

You know, your kitchen is very simple (in a good way), I think it can handle a little complexity if it's done correctly.

But, here is all big tiles..

• corgimum
    10 years ago

Like that first mock-up Deedles. Looks good with the shelving balancing the window. My only change would be to use a pencil tile that blends in rather than highlights the edges.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Yeah! So glad this has been resurrected again.

Deedles, I like both of those. However, the elephant in the room (and I can speak frankly, since I have the same one) is the window. Needs something done to it. Perhaps nice solid wood trim, matching gorgeous wood beams?

Kudos to EAM44 - really like the Heath tile in your space. (As I mumble to myself occasionally, Brown, the new Grey...).

• deedles
    10 years ago

corgimum: Here is with the darkest green I could pull. I added a chunky wood valence over the window. Oldbat you're right... that window is what is throwing everything off. Didn't seem like there is room for trim about so what do you think about the valance?i

• deedles
    10 years ago

Here I added it to the version with the brown trim too. For me, the darker trim tile seems to connect the tile to the beam, and combines it's visual weight with the beam to balance out that window.

(Well, don't I sound special like I know something!)

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK. You are wonderful. I simply love the rustic wood valance over the window. That is perfect. It immediately warms the space. I need to put that on my priority to do list. And, I had always planned to do shelves or a big round clock to the right of the stove- I just need to move forward.
    Thank you Deedles and Ob2b for the mockups. I think Deedle's all larger squares but with the green trim and the window valance would be my choice right now.
    Thank you so much.

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot to add my gratitude to enduring(I love your bathroom- someday I will get to my bath), corgimom, and Eam. Corgimom ages ago you posted about rookwood tile, I just took another look at their site and I think I need to check them out. Though I love my Syzygy tiles, I havent found a glaze that is 'the one' Rookwood seems to have alot of glazes, I just need to plan a field trip.
    Eam I do think the mix of colors and shapes is just too much and that nagging thought is what is preventing me from moving on a choice. My heart knows it is not wrong. It is so hard to love a tile and have to tell yourself you can't have it.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Hey! Good, glad you like it! Here, I think you meant the all green version? I added a smaller wood shelf over the stove and some oil bottles which yes, shouldn't be there but oh well...

off to work!

• eam44
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh, thanks ob2b and you're welcome local. Golly dee, you've been busy! It is so helpful to see things all in place. Local, it's going to be gorgeous when you're done. I'm sure you'll find the perfect glaze (s?).

Isn't it possible for you to have the tile you love? If you love the mix you have now, maybe you'll love it minus one color? I hope so. Keep us posted!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Hmmm. Here is the green from the inspiration picture at the top of this thread.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Brown tile, trim around window.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Brown tile with wood trim and shelf. I don't like the gap between the window and the hood tile area.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Here is the green tile taken higher:

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Local - I know the feeling - I was doing my kitchen with DM having problems long distance and a new job that was supposed to be 8-5 - Not (70+ hour weeks a lot of the time and was salary :-(

Deedles - I had to laugh seeing your post. I do like the brown trim mixed with the green - almost feels like a tree.

Going back to local - I am not usually much with colors in BS but I do like some of the greens. I think the brown tones clash with your wood beams (which are great)

Old Bat or Deedles - How about a vertical run to see what that does to the kitchen. For some reason, I seem to like the look with the hoods. It might just pull things together. (And even though I am supposedly retired, my consulting work is keeping me busy but promise to load the my Adobe software one of these days - I bought it around Christmas..)

• deedles
    10 years ago

a2: A vertical run of which tile?

There is something about the window and the stove-hood that is just dominating that wall and not in a good way. It's off balance to the left or something... It seems like the tile all over the wall gives the same unbalanced feeling. This is just my opinion of course, but it 'feels' like the best tile layout is the vertical lower run (ties in the vertical window and the vertical wood valance should that stay in the plan) of tiles with tile going up just between the stove and hood, whichever tile it ends up being. OR. What about the tile you posted, Local.. is it the szgzy? Anyway, check it out... that tile for the lower run which I think 'grounds' the floating window and then how about a sheet of glass behind the stove? Either painted your wall color or just clear so whatever wall color shows through? I gotta say the wood beams seem to need to be incorporated into the wall, so I'm picturing here a wood window sill that turns into the top trim of the tile... all a continuous (or however it would be done) run of wood from the beam to the wall left of the window. It seems nice and clean with enough visual 'weight' in the tile at the bottom to anchor the floating stuff.

Eh?

This post was edited by deedles on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 11:30

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Deedles, your 10:05 mockup is the best! I totally agree that tile up to the hood or continuing it on the wall to the right of the stove is just off somehow. There's an imbalance that is unsettling. I'm also in nosoccermom's boring camp, and I'm not crazy about multi-colored tile either. Square or subway, I'd keep it a single color or one with subtle variations.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I like the 10:05 mock-up as well as the 22:20 one. I'd make the shelves a bit chunkier and longer and perhaps three of them. Also, I think the larger tiles look nicer (less busy) than the small tiles.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Here is a solid color in a pattern that I grabbed cause I like the color and I have to get to bed so I can't look anymore. Anyway, for the simpler style people:

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Deedles - fabulous job! The only accessory I ever think of adding to my photoshops is a George Clooney (do you think the forum would fall for it?) but your additions are lovely.

Here's a2gemini's idea (I think) - of the more vertical tile. Please do note the three bottles of Dom :)

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

And one final one, with the clock you were thinking about.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Guess we'll have to wait and see what Local thinks...

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, you guys are fantastic. This is really helping me narrow down choices about how to lay the tiles and to define what I like and what I don't like.
    I do like George and I think he should come and can with me today.
    I also like the seamless look of the all 3" sq tiles in George's kitchen, with the window balanced with the valance and the clock. My husband would be a hard sell on the idea of tiling the whole wall, he really dislikes it.
    I also really like the image that deedles posted at 21:49 with the small tiles on the bottom and the square tiles on the top with the green liner tile. It felt pretty peaceful to me. My husband likes deedle's 22:20 image with the bigger squares in both areas separated by the liner.
    I do not think I like the tile up to the beam behind the hood only- and I thought I would. I think that it accentuates the lack of symmetry on the wall.
    I wish I could go look at tiles today but the garden calls. And the saying "make hay while the sun shines" exists for a reason.

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found my backsplash, who would of thought it.
    I left some of what I thought I wanted behind and found something I love and that plays nice in my kitchen. I get my first love of glass and a curvy shape, but balanced with subways and ceramic so it all seems to work with the rustic modern kitchen vibe.
    The glass tile is Cloud Lining Mirage Glass. The ceramic is Trikeenan Modulus 3x9 is either Cream Soda or Moonshadow. I have about 48 hours to firm up my choice. And honestly it's a toss up. But please feel free to place your votes!

Moonshadow
    {{gwi:1786406}}From GW Photos

Cream Soda
    {{gwi:1786407}}From GW Photos

• deedles
    10 years ago

those are great!

Now, is the curvy one set into something white or am i seeing it wrong?

Is "moonshadow and cream soda"speaking to both the tiles in each pic or just the one on the left with the rectangles? The curvy one doesn't look like it's a different color in the pics.

Where are you at with the layout? Is the curvy going up behind the stove and the rectangular on the horizontal or has that all changed?

They are really nifty looking tiles, though, both of them.

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes deedles you got it all exacty right. The curvy one is the same in both pictures, it is a single tile mounted on a white board in the photos. It will be behind the stove. The subways are two different colors in the two pictures, ie moonshadow and cream soda. Both work, I prefer one, my husband prefers the other. Isnt that always the case?

• sunfeather
    6 years ago

Do you have a photo of your finished kitchen?

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations