Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spincrazy25_gw

Pony wall w/ counter vs. single-level counter

spincrazy25
15 years ago

I am trying to open up my kitchen to my family room, and wondering if I should do bi-level to hide sink/kitchen clutter or keep the top one level. What is preferred?

Comments (17)

• tr1140
    15 years ago

Do you plan to have barstools and eat on the counter? We have the pony wall and use it as our countertop eating space. I don't like it because the counter is so narrow that you can't fit many dishes onto it. Also, I don't like the higher barstool height. I would prefer to have the one-level counter. Just my opinion!

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, we want to eat at the counter. We already have barstools, but they aren't very tall.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

You can certainly make the countertop for the bar as deep as you'd like so that plates can fit. But as far as one level or two, is it a place you see as a possible workspace for big baking projects, wrapping gifts, etc? In other words, could you use it more if it were all one level? With your sink where it is, and if you have the peninsula, I'm not sure that, in your case, I'm seeing a big advantage to having it all one height.

A 2nd level doesn't do much to hide all of the kitchen mess, but it does hide what's directly behind...So if it were me, and if you're going to keep the peninsula, which already offers a 2-sided and large work surface, I'd want the higher bar to hide direct view into and splashes from the sink.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I did a pony wall and an arch to separate the spaces.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Mine is somewhat similar to ccoombs1:

low angle of kitchen sink

family room side of sink "wall" -- it's hard to see, but the faucet is poking up in front of the oven

the top of the narrow ledge which separates the kitchen from the family room

We'd thought about doing the ledge deep enough to have bar stools, but realized it would eat up precious family room space, so instead chose to do 13" -- deep enough to hold the various crap we put there, but not enough to impinge walking through the family room.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Counter-height seating is easier for young children & older adults to get in/out of.

Have you decided to put in the peninsula?

Even at one level, w/the sink smack dab in the middle of the counter, the counter will probably not be as useful for larger projects. I would still make it all one level, though.

If you're thinking of hiding dirty dishes w/a raised counter, a deep sink works better for hiding. The only time a raised counter hides the dirty dishes is if someone is sitting down...if they're standing up or walking by the dishes are still visible on the counter b/c you're looking down at the counter from above.

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh gosh- I'm dying here. I don't know if I should do the peninsula or not. It just looks weird either way. I'm to the point I just want to keep my existing layout- wall and all! Is it this hard for everyone, or am I just crazy (I know what DH would say!).

I like the look of one level islands (an island is what I really want), but I am not sure if that would look right with my current option.

My concern is for DS, who is two, and LOVES to sit at our existing peninsula. I'm thinking bi-level would be too tall for him.

I need one of those shows to come and decide for me.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

You could do bilevel but make the higher level 36", keep your current stools. Could you use a lower work surface? Not sure it would work to have a low sink though - mine is just countertop.

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

For me, a single level top. We have a bi-level and it stinks and I hate it.

o, let me count the ways.

The top of a bi-level tends to be a junk catcher.
    I can't spread out when I have a big task.
    It only hides mess from people who are seated at a table height object behind it - everyone seated at the stools can see it perfectly. As can any standing adult. As can anyone seated at a table beside it. Cleaning as I go is a much better plan than all the yelling about the junk accumulated on the bar-height obstacle.
    The stools are too high for ME - and I'm 5'7".
    Elderly people and disabled people have trouble using them.

• rnest44
    15 years ago

You are not crazy except of course your screen name would indicate otherwise. :) I have been following your threads and know just how you feel. Realize you have to compromise and figure out where it hurts the least and makes the most sense to not get what you want. That can take a while to figure out. I think I'm on layout 57 (it feels like it) and I have yet to post the one I like best.
    FWIW, I agree with bmorepanic on this one, you could go either way but I think it will feel more open with all one level.

• stpindell
    15 years ago

spincrazy25,

I'm going through the same thing. I'm leaning towards just doing a single level counter so that the kitchen would be more open and spacious. I agree with a previous poster, I have a bi-level now and the top of it currently just collects junk. So hopefully if we changed it to the single level we would do a better job of not collecting the junk.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Here are some pictures of my bi-level island. Please forgive the mess on lower part - just got 2 new drawers added and trying to organize stuff, I have things out waiting to buy trays.

The top doesn't collect stuff now that DD has a drawer for her art supplies. Though I do need a better place for tomatoes and bananas (empty hanger for now). And wish I could think of a better spot for coffeemaker.

Breakfast bar (though I eat dinner there with kids when DH is away - as soon as I finish 4th stool maybe we'll all eat there)

{{!gwi}}

From FR (had to shut door to mudroom b/c the bench there collects our things - ignore junk on counter by fridge - more organizing to do, put her art stuff in our old "junk" drawer)

{{!gwi}}

Lower level (blue tape marking studs so we can nail in trim under plugmold - I'm finishing side pieces now)

{{!gwi}}

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These pictures are a great help. Does anyone have pictures of a single top that opens to another room, and isn't an island (connected to a wall, or more cabinetry). Hope that makes sense!

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

How cool is this. I can actually show you our kitchen both ways:

Here is our counter opening to the family room before we added the bar. DH says he wishes we had gone with a counter height extension and lower stools however I prefer it with the bar.

Before the counter went in

With the counter (sorry no distant pictures)

and with the wall. Our island floats so doesn't really hide the mess. Rather the mess accumulates ON the bar LOL

• justnotmartha
    15 years ago

I am in your same boat. We will have a 43" tall by 12" deep set of bookcase/shelves on the back side of the island with sink, and those shelves face out to the formal living room. There will not be seating, but a place to put cookbooks and pretty things. Since the island is the first thing you see when you walk in I didn't want dishes to be part of the view, nor did I want it to be bar stools. My hope is the shelves will be more of a furniture look, and they mimic the color/look of the fireplace surround in the living room.

If we could ever get the wood floors finished so the cabs could go in I'd post a picture . . . but you will likely have made up your mind by then. :-)

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    15 years ago

justnotmartha- I'd like to think so....but seeing I've been trying to figure this out for months, you never know! I'd love to see your bookshelves.