Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melkel31

decor advice on our new black kitchen

melkel31
9 years ago

My husband and I are gutting and remodeling our kitchen. We purchased vintage kraftmaid cabinets in black. My question is does anyone have advice as to what color to choose for the countertops (we want granite) and what color backspash to use? I was thinking a brick backsplash but open to suggestions! also flooring color choices are welcome! ;) I think we need to lighten it up bc of the cabinet choice. thanks in advance GW community!! :)

Comments (11)

• kjo_tx
    9 years ago

What style are you going for?

I easily see black cabinets with a light colored stone (River White, White Princess, Kashmir White, Calcatta Macuabus Quartzite, etc) and light backsplash in a sort of "farmhouse" style, or if paired with a tan granite could look really well.

Here's some quick ideas of black cabinets with white or tan counters:

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

we are going for a farmhouse style- we actually bought a farmhouse kitchen sink in copper!

• feisty68
    9 years ago

River White is the granite I've picked. It's very light, but it does have a lot of soft flowy movement. Grey with green undertones, and smudges of gold, and garnet dots.

Light butcherblock would also look great with black cabinets.

If you go in the decorating forum you'll see photos of a brick floor that I ADORE - that would suit the look you are going for.

• Skyangel23
    9 years ago

Just wanted to add I think black cabinets with a brick floor would look awesome! I like the light/white countertops.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOVE the brick floor but I am starting to reconsider (I was sold on it!!;) ) Just picturing dropping an egg on the brick floor and cleaning it in general... i cook a lot and can be a little clumsy;) not sure it's practical for me - it is GORGEOUS!!!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I love this kitchen and even the wallpaper! It's a very well done kitchen with the choices of countertop, accessories and lighting. Check it out : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty pictures of dark cabinets/accessories

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

very pretty kitchen gr8day!! Thanks for sending! The wallpaper is pretty too- I promised myself a few y ears back (while taking down wallpaper in our house when we moved in) that i woudl NEVER put up wallpaper haha! ;) I have to admit there are really pretty wallpapers out there now and it is super tempting!!!! thanks again!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

You're welcome, good luck with your kitchen! That is one of the prettiest kitchens I think. ... I know exactly what you mean about wallpaperâ¦it cost $900 to have it removed and walls repainted in our master bathroom. I do like wallpaper though and that lasted for 14 years and was still going but it didn't go with the new travertine floor. I don't think I could ever put it up again after taking it down from such a large space!! I'm now looking at taking it down in the laundry room. Yuk!!!

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

btw we went with typhoon bordeaux :)

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Golden Leaf granite would look good with black cabinets. We have it honed on cream (laundry room) and stained pine in the kitchen. Our black hutch as a new pine counter.

I also have copper in our home - interior and exterior. The pine hutch in the kitchen and the laundry room backsplash are copper sheeting purchased from our HVAC guy. Copper sinks and faucets in black hutch and laundry room. Copper hood. Kitchen linked below, here is the laundry:

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Black cabinets, fun!

Here are ours with birch butcher block, nearly-white quartz around the sink, and natural maple floors.