Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_east_gw

Trash pullout width question

nancy_east
16 years ago

When I was originally designing my kitchen layout with my cabinet guy, I nixed the idea of a trash pullout because I wanted more storage space in my kitchen. However, I've been second guessing myself ever since! My island could support about 15 extra inches in length, but is this too small for a trash pullout? Does anyone out there have one this size and think it's sufficient? If not, what is the size of yours?

Thanks!

Comments (22)

• holligator
    16 years ago

My trash pullout is about 14.5" wide, and it is plenty sufficient. In a standard-depth cabinet, that holds two decent sized bins. We use one for garbage and one for recycling.

• torchbearer76
    16 years ago

Lowes has the rev-a-shelf trash/recycling bin insert and a separate bracket for the cabinet door to allow you to pull the unit out in one motion. The suggested minimum opening width is 15". The trash and recycling bins are good sized. You can convert the cabinet back to something else if you don't like the trash/recycling setup. I suggest you plan for built in trash:-)

• boxiebabe
    16 years ago

The door on mine is 17 1/2".

Boxie

• nancy_east
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Holligator and torchbearer, Thanks for the info! I will definitely look at the rev-a-shelf insert and I'm glad to know 14.5" width is sufficient.

It's also great to know that I can fit 2 bins as well. I'm always running to the garage in our current house with something to add to the recycle bin out there and it drives me crazy!

Thanks again!

• paul_ma
    16 years ago

Mine is in an 18" cabinet, but I know they are available for smaller ones. My KD advocated for RevAShelf in preference to the cabinet company's own pullout, which seems a good testament. The RevAShelf pullout does seem of very good quality, and has blumotion closers.

• bethv
    16 years ago

You can get a good one on ebay for a 15" cabinet...It's available in 'Buy it now" for $52. But he had it on auction too - so I paid $42. You can also get a bracket to mount it to the door.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2-bin trash pull out for `15

• nancy_east
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bethv, Thanks for the tip on Ebay! I'm a little confused though--if I order a 15" trash pullout from Shiloh (the brand of cabinetry I'm using), does it not come with this apparatus already installed in it? I guess I was assuming all the hardware would be in place, I just needed to supply a certain size trash bin.

Is this just a more economical way to do things? To buy the 15" cabinetry with no shelves and then install the rev-a-shelf or what not myself?(or, um, have my contractor do it because I'd regret it for all time if I let myself or DH install it!)

• bethv
    16 years ago

Hmmm. I don't know what Shiloh would do - but I don't think it would be this cheap. I think they would leave it up to your installer to fit the hardward to the cabinet bottom. But these jobs are super easy - you usaully get a paper template that you tape to the floor and then drill the holes they've marked. The rev-ashelf ones I saw were around $120.

• raehelen
    16 years ago

FYI, I have a 15" cabinet (outside dimensions), and my carpenter made a trash pullout, so I need trash cans/receptacles that are ~ 11" square, and have NOT been able to find any!

I found some small enough but then they were only 11-15" high, not tall enough, too much wasted space. We're thinking we might have to make some out of screening material? So, just a head's up- if you don't buy/order a ready-made unit, it may be difficult to find the cans to fit.

• boxiebabe
    16 years ago

What I neglected to mention is - I LOVE MY TRASH PULL OUT.
    Whatever your measurement needs to be, just don't skip it.

---Boxie

• auntiebubba
    16 years ago

You can definitely find a pull out for 15" and I've seen them for even smaller.

I installed the rev-a-shelf from Lowes that Torchbearer mentions above under my sink. It's an easy install and quite cheap at about $50 for the pullout/cans and about $15 for the door kit. We use it for redeemable recyclables and food scraps.

I am ashamed to say that we also have a 21" 50Qt full height double pullout for our trash and regular recylcing... and we need every inch of it as DH has an aversion to empyting the trash every night.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I have a trash pullout in my 27" frameless sink cabinet.

It has two trashcans, one for recycling and one for wet trash.
    Mine is only 11-5/8" wide, but it works fine for us. We take the trash out often, and it's really not that huge a problem.

• bethv
    16 years ago

Oops, sorry not to be clear, the pull-out I order comes with the trash bins included - as far as I can tell, the bins are included in all the ones I've seen.

• paul_ma
    16 years ago

I just noticed that my RevAShelf pullout has RevAShelf brand trash cans it it. They look almost a regular size, but I suppose if I went looking for a replacement I wouldn't find anything that fit, except from them.

But everything seems of excellent quality. My contractors did the installation. The cabinet was ordered with the door detached rather than hinged.

(That did turn out to be a problem. When everything came that door and the fake panels I also ordered were all the wrong size. Turns out that they made them sized from framed cabinets rather than unframed - stupidity in their order processing system. And when the replacements finally came they were drilled for hinges. (The big hole - 2" or so.) But its not that big a deal - it only shows when the trash is open.)

• holligator
    16 years ago

raehelen, do yours need to be 11" square at a certain point of the can? Rev-a-shelf has a square receptacle that's about 18" tall. It's tapered, so it's a little more than 11" square at the top and a little less than 11" at the bottom. It might be worth checking out. They sell them separate from the pull-out apparatus as "replacement" parts.

Our cabinet guy brought this size out to install initially, but then we discovered that we could fit the larger receptacle and went with that instead.

• nancy_east
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much everyone! For some reason, followup posts never make it to my Hotmail inbox, so I have to come and search for the post to respond!

This is all very, very helpful. I didn't even think of the option of installing something like the rev-a-shelf or the ebay apparatus under the sink--brilliant idea (which is why I love these forums--I get lots of brilliant ideas every night!)

I did go to Lowes today and saw the rev-a-shelf pullout. My only dislike was the size of the bins in it. I'm so used to my 13 gallon size trash can in the kitchen where we live currently, that it would take some getting used to with the smaller bins. But that's a minor detail that I'm willing to get used to!

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Thanks Holligator,

I excitedly went and measured my 'pullout'. It is basically a plywood box, and unfortunately, it is only a little over 20.5" long (inside dimensions), so depending on how much 'under' 11" they are on the bottom...

I looked on the rev-a-shelf website, and it appears that they may be a little too big...:>(

If anyone has the 27 quart size, I'd love it if they could measure them for me. They don't come up as separate items on the website, and I don't know, but ~$300 for two plastic bins on a couple of aluminum rails seems pricey.

• bethv
    16 years ago

Hey Raehlen: The pull-out I got from e-bay is the Knapp & Voigt (SP?) 2 bin - each bin is 27 qtrs. They are 11.25 square length/width each and 17.75 tall... sorry too big.

• auntiebubba
    16 years ago

raehelen - the 27Qt bins I got from Lowes (RV-15PBC-5) are 11" square at the top, 8 1/2" square at the bottom and 18" high.

Here is a link that might be useful: RV-15PBC-5

• raehelen
    16 years ago

AuntieB,

You've just made my day! Did you buy the whole set-up? Do you know by any chance if the bins are available separately?

Thanks, may just have to make a trip over the border this week!

• auntiebubba
    16 years ago

raechelen - Yes, I needed the whole setup. Maybe you can try emailing or calling Rev-a-shelf for the individual bins? The bottom of the bin has part no. RV-1024 phone 1-800-626-1126. Hope you find it!

Quick search on the part# turned up this link below (there are many more links). It says they are 11 3/8 x 17 3/4, but I measure actually a bit less than 11" at top, which tapers down to 8 1/2 at the bottom.

Here is a link that might be useful: white bin