Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolinetesori

Help choosing backsplash to warm up space?

carolinetesori
12 years ago

I would love any ideas for a backsplash to warm up my kitchen. I thought the walnut island top and the dark wood floors would give it lots of warmth, and it DOES, but I still find the space a little 'cold.' The perimeter countertops are carrara marble, cabinets pure white, hardware (not up yet but bought) is polished chrome. All stainless steel appliances. I planned on having white matte 2x6 subways, and I still might do this, but I haven't ordered yet because I have a nagging feeling that this is going to add to the coldness. The walls are already painted an ivory/creamy white. I WILL have a nice fabric roman shade on the 2 windows in the room which will soften things up a bit, and framed artwork/photos on the walls, but not sure if that's enough? Any other ideas for the backsplash? I am color phobic (like accessories to add color so I can change it up), hence the almost all white kitchen. I do want a warmer space though. I thought about gray/whitewashed wood backsplash like I saw on here? Any other ideas?

Below is pics of my almost-done kitchen. We're still at a standstill til I make my mind up on backsplash.

Comments (8)

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

First of all, I love your kitchen and I don't think it seems cold at all. I think that your hardware will held give it some depth and detail, which I think will warm it up. Also- It looks like you haven't moved back in yet so I think some colorful accessories would help too.

In regard to the backsplash- what about some sort of crackle tie to give some dimension? I think white subways might not give the oomph you are looking for, but I agree that you can rely on the accessories for changing the mood of your kitchen relatively effortlessly.

What color is the roman shade going to be?

• carolinetesori
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Crackle is a good idea! I make the roman shades, so I thought I'd make 2 different sets, one for spring/summer (maybe pale blues, vibrant coral colors, etc) and one for fall/winter (deep red, browns, etc). Think that, along with the cabinet hardware and some accessories will help warm the place up?

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

The colors sound great for the shades. I also think a patterned fabric in those colors would work great. I also have a Le-Creuset tea kettle in lime green that I rely on in my kitchen :)

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    12 years ago

Nan, I think it looks nice and warm as is, but putting the hardware on, putting things back in the upper cabs, shelves, pots on the stove, and on the countertops -- cutting board on the island, and other things you have there -- will warm things up. Right now you have an empty, clean, new build kitchen. Wait until you have a big family meal underway or a child baking cookies, and it will look more than warm enough : ).

The roman shades sound lovely.

Becky

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Buy some geraniums, put your cooksbooks into the shelf, make those romans, and live with the kitchen for a while. Then...go to the store and don't rush through--I assume you want a tile backsplash. Really stand in front of each display and mentally live in the room decorated with each choice. You will find something unexpected.

Also don't be afraid of paint. Even a colorphobe can repaint. You did choose something safe but safe may prove to not be as suitable as you might have thought. Paint is pretty cheap to change out. (Chicken? Consider painting a section of wall, a stripe, a furniture piece.)

• ellaf
    12 years ago

How about white on white? Your post immediately made me think of handmade tile.

This mexican tile is white with a mix of smooth and glossy finishes
    http://www.tilesandtiles.com/highrelieftiles/rvl_bcopuro.html

and this one is white with a relief pattern
    http://www.tilesandtiles.com/highrelieftiles/atc18.html

any of these heath tile patterns in white would be pretty cool
    http://www.heathceramics.com/go/heath/tile/collections/dimensional-collection/

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I love your space, the first thought came to mind are these
    tiles by Brittany and Coggs. They are a handmade tile that
    gives off a soft warmth without color. A gentle elegance
    that would look stunning next to your cabinets.
    ~boxerpups

• ellaf
    12 years ago

boxerpups, awesome!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz