Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mohansf

Sub-Zero Pro 48" - pros and cons

mohansf
10 years ago

We are getting a Sub-Zero Pro 48" in December. Based on your experience, what are the pros and cons?

Comments (4)

• chisue
    10 years ago

I can only contribute that our 42" GE Monogram, built in, with cabinet panels and ice/water door, is still going strong after 13 years -- for a lot less money.

• carree
    10 years ago

I love my subzero. Lots of money ...big con. But the food stays fresher, including open jugs of milk and produce, at least when compared to my old Whirlpool. We just cleaned the filter by vacuuming after six months. Easy operation (cleaned out the ventahood grease traps, too!)

Subzero Con...doesn't feel like there is tons of room especially in the freezer.

Pro: And I do think it looks great. And I made this decision under duress. I have heard lots of mixed reviews ...as with most appliances ...so I'm waiting for the inevitable problems...with fingers crossed....

• athomesewing
    10 years ago

Sigh...the only con is that I don't have room for one! Well, then there is that the price is not the friendliest -- but wow, do I want one!

• plllog
    10 years ago

A SubZero, if not horribly abused, should last for decades. Since you've already jumped over the money hurdle, that shouldn't be a biggie, and by having the unit for so long, you'll skip the remodelling expenses of replacing it. You've already also agreed to the space involved

You've already decided you like the divisions, or you wouldn't have chosen it. I ended up with Miele and a Marvel u/c drawer fridge. I LOVE the drawers, and I love that the bottom section of the Miele is all drawers, so I think you'll really enjoy those. Be thoughtful how you use them. For instance, if you have kids always opening the fridge, you can put snacks and drinks for them in one drawer and have them only opening one section.

Con: having to keep the fridge tidy enough to be on display constantly. I'm often embarrassed to have a cousin or friend opening my fridge because I have bunches of kale sitting on the milk, and stuff like that.

Pro: You can see what you're looking for before you open the door of the main cooler, keeping the cold in more.

Smeary hands on the stainless and glass? That's true no matter what the materials are, so it depends on your tolerance for things looking anything but out of the carton pristine.

Pro: If something unexpected comes up and you have to move, you can take it with you because it's freestanding.

Con: Stuff can roll underneath because it's freestanding.

Really, though, it's a SubZero. What's not to love?