Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy427

unusual, creative spot for cookbooks? show your pics!

amy427
15 years ago

having a tough time getting KD to put in space for my cook books! right now, there's open shelves in the butler's pantry area, near a desk/seating area, but nothing really in the main kitchen, except possibly some glass front cabinet stackers, for books i don't use that often. any other good ideas???

Comments (16)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I have 2 places...One in the wall to the right of the stove for frequently used books I want to grab while cooking, and more shelves over the fridge and freezer set.

• cocontom
    15 years ago

We lined a shelf up next to the soffit, over the doorway in the kitchen- it's really high, but keeps them at hand but completely out of the way. I haven't taken pics of it yet though.

• peachieone
    15 years ago

We have a breakfast room right off of the kitchen. Before the remodel there was a door going outside from there and after the reno/addtion was done, and the door was removed/drywalled for the new kitchen, I had DH trim up the old "door" in the same trim as the rest of the doors, and windows,add some shelves and turned it into a bookshelf for my cookbooks.

• danielle00
    15 years ago

The ones I use the most will be over my wall oven. The others are in an adjacent room on an old baker's cooling rack my dad got for us (I also use it for cooling off my bread)

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    15 years ago

I keep my frequently-used cookbooks in my custom hood surround. They don't get greasy, I guess my hood does an excellent job :-)

If I could do it over, I would have had the bookshelves about six inches longer vertically.

{{!gwi}}

• furletcity
    15 years ago

I have my cookbooks in a large, old bookcase(in the process of having a paint treatment applied) and in the end of my island. It's unusual, but it works for me. If you don't have space in your planned cabinetry, could you make room for a free-standing piece of furniture to house your cookbooks? I love reading them and like them handy; I can sit at my island and reach the bookshelf.

• alku05
    15 years ago

Ours are in our island end:

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Mine are also on one side of the island, which is very convenient for browsing, and I might add that cookbook space is an absolute necessity for me.

Blue

• rosie
    15 years ago

Books make any room appealing to me, so this thread is particularly nice. In this building-in-absolutely-everything era, Ferletcity's "unusual" idea of using a piece of furniture is pleasantly radical, with a delightfully personal result. It's not what you're looking for, but just to toss in, my cookbooks are behind the glass doors of an old cherry sideboard and hutch in the sitting room next to my kitchen.

• november
    15 years ago

Ours are also in our island end, right by the cooktop.

• plllog
    15 years ago

I used to keep mine on a shelf on my baker's rack. They just got sunbleached there, and I found myself taking them into the living room to sit down and read them. Now they live in the living room and I take them into the kitchen occasionally. :)

• zelmar
    15 years ago

I keep cookbooks in a 12" deep base cabinet on the kitchen side of our peninsula (they back up to 24" deep cabinets facing the dining room side.) I chose to put them behind doors since the kitchen already had a lot of glass cabinets and I was afraid it would get too busy visually. Plus most of the books are falling apart and I keep lots of clippings on one of the shelves so I feel a bit relieved that my often messy collection doesn't show.

• timber.j
    15 years ago

My kitchen is really small, so I have my most used cookbooks in this hutch, which will be in the dining room that is open to the kitchen. Many of the recipes that I print off the internet, clip out of magazines, etc. are in a binder in the drawer. My new kitchen will have one glass upper cupboard that could be used for cookbooks, too.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    15 years ago

In the bookcase in the hallway outside the kitchen. I never considered keeping them anywhere else. There are bookcases all over the house.

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

timber.j, I love that hutch! What a great and striking piece. Can't wait to see how it will come together with your kitchen.

I agree with what others have said as well - even though my pic above is of a cabinet solution, most of my cookbooks are in a beautiful old bookcase/hutch that goes from the foyer to the kitchen; it's the piece that gets the most compliments in our kitchen!

Eliz