Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deb52899

Navy blue island installed (mostly)! 8 pix

Debbi Branka
12 years ago

The navy blue island has been installed! It took the installer two 8-hour days, and he still has to finish up a few things. He said he way under-quoted our job. (Hate when that happens!) It is 10' long and 36" wide right now. There will be a 15" overhang on the end and on one of the sides (by the doorwall) for seating. The marble was templated yesterday; installation date is 5/14.

The island has 4 drawers that have glass fronts and the cabinet maker made them wrong, so they have been shipped back. Also, had to order more of the decorative panel along the bottom as installer ran out of that. After the marble is on, he will embellish the top of the 4 corner posts so they will look nicer. There is a warming drawer on the working side and the front of the drawer matches my island drawers (it has 2 pulls on it). The tall 12" cabinet will have inserts for baking sheets, platters, etc.

The lighting in most of the pictures makes the blue look really bright. It is actually very dark. Matches our walls. Sherwin Williams naval. I've attached a picture of both of my marble slabs too. Statuarietto marble, 3cm, honed, ogee edge.

There is 48" between the front of the stove and the island. Also 48" between the perimeter counter and the working side of the island. The other length (by the pantry and desk) have about 4' too. I'm attaching, as the last picture, a shot from the dining room after day 1 of work (no fancy bottoms, etc). The island didn't seem to "make my kitchen smaller" as I thought it would, but I think after the marble is installed it will seem smaller.

Comments (51)

• modern_mom35
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

WOW! Stunning. You are going to post pics once the marble is on - right?!

• dee850
    12 years ago

Love!!! I'm planning dark blue base cabinets, myself, so this is thrilling to see :)

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Looks really nice!!!

• poohpup
    12 years ago

That island is stunning! Love the color and all the detail. It is going to look amazing with your counters. Looking forward to more pictures.

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! We started this with our designer in January so it's very exciting that it's finally coming along! I will post pix when the marble is in.

• cardamon
    12 years ago

Your island color is the prettiest blue color I have seen posted. I like it very much. It looks rich looking and will be even mor so when the marble is on it. Love your choices. Hope you post additional pics later!

• library_girl
    12 years ago

What a gorgeous shade of blue. It will look stunning with the marble. Well, it already looks stunning - but can't wait to see it with the marble. You must be dancing :)

• clarygrace
    12 years ago

Outstanding is the word! I am a blue girl and love that Navy!!!! IIndeed, with that marble it will be perfect!!!!

Enjoy!

I'm looking forward to the day (hopefully in a few weeks) to share some pics....floors are being installed and then cabinetry!

• BalTra
    12 years ago

Stunning !
    I love the color and the placement.

• deedles
    12 years ago

Very, very pretty and unusual (in a good way)!

• clg7067
    12 years ago

Go Blue! Nice.

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Oh Yeah! (Theme from Ferris Buehler music...)

That looks wonderful! Please say you are including some blue & white china in your gorgeous kitchen?

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

Wowzer!!!!!

I can't wait to see it with the marble!

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Beautiful island!

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Wowzers!

That is STUNNING! I can't wait to see it with the marble!

• dutty
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!!! I'm going to echo sweeby and cue the Ferris Bueller music... "Oh Yeah... chicka chicka" :)

I positively love the color and furniture feel to it. I can't wait to see it finished. Thanks for posting!

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

It's beautiful. I, too, can't wait to see it with the marble installed.

• AnnaA
    12 years ago

What a wonderful color island with such cool details. I can already envision all sorts of ways to use the color to dress up whatever is served!

• Mom23Es
    12 years ago

Wow! That's really beautiful! I love how your island looks like a piece of furniture. :)

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Love the navy and white! Your cab hardware is jewelry against the rich dark blue. Can't wait to see the marble in place--it's going to be beautiful!

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Im not a "navy" person but it looks GORGEOUS!!! Can't wait to see the marble installed! ; )

• peonybush
    12 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful island.. Anxious to see the marble sitting on it.

• annac54
    12 years ago

That's a seriously gorgeous piece of cabinetry. I'm anxious to see it with the counter installed. Those are lovely slabs. Please post again when it's done.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Beautiful island. Love the color!

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

Wow Deb, that's beautiful! Just curious - with overhangs on long and short sides, how will you position the corbels underneath? Thanks.

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! I will post pix when the marble is installed.

LakeGirl, we're not using corbels. The will put 4 steel plates underneath the marble to support it. There is wood attached inside the top of the shorter cabinets to support and screw in the steel plates. Hope that makes sense!

Sweeby, my china is my gramma's blue willow. It's in the china cabinet in the dining room. We also have a lot of cobalt blue glass in the glass cabinet at the end of the perimeter counter. Most of our house is blue & white!

• lynn_r_ct
    11 years ago

MaMa wants!!! Love, love, love...

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

hah, lookee there....I knew that your blue cabinet looked familiar in that other thread...the one about "approving the color".....because I saw it here!

I am truly losing my mind. Apologies. Well, you'd be losing yours too if everytime you went to your house it seems that the wrong thing is being installed. (wrong vanities today)

Your island still looks great!

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

OMG that thing/those things, are GORGEOUS! To be honest, brutally honest, I am incredibly jealous (and considering stooping to stealing your colors). Finally, something which pops with the floors and perimeter cabinets! I love the pictures, please keep posting. Best, oldbat2be

• decordummy_gw
    11 years ago

"my china is my gramma's blue willow" "We also have a lot of cobalt blue glass" "Most of our house is blue & white!"
    OH PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE POST PICS.

I love your navy & white kitchen (& white appliances). The marble is going to look wonderful (but of course I need to see pics of that too).

• donnaw
    11 years ago

Wow!i can't wait to see when the counter top is in place.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Just gorgeous! Can't wait to see with the marble installed.

I love blue, too!

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! Bee, you're cracking me up!

Oldbat - steal my colors! I don't mind a bit. I'd love to see another navy and white kitchen to see more ideas :) Thank you for your compliments!

Decor - you want to see pix of the rest of the house? I have a zillon because we moved in 2.5 years ago and have changed almost everything, but not sure what you want to see!

Thanks everyone! You all make a girl's day!

• decordummy_gw
    11 years ago

Deb, I'd love to see gramma's blue willow, the cobalt blue glass, your LR, & anything else you would care to share (& the finished kitchen of course).

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Gosh, sooo pretty! Can't wait to see the marble.

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok Decor, I'll post the other pix in a separate thread, either Monday, or Tuesday (marble comes Monday morning). Here's a peek at our newest cobalt acquisition. It's an apothecary jar with a spigot. I plan to put it in the center of the lower marble slab (that slab is table-height and almost 5'x5'). I was so excited to find it!

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kompy! I love that house! My DH travels for work. Last week he was in Minnesota and sent me this house: I think it's the same color!

• kompy
    11 years ago

Here's a closer up view. Notice the shutters are not black, but a midnight blue.

I was showing this photo around to some friends and my friend's house is actually this color too! I had never been to her house so drove by and snapped a shot of her place as well. She went with the black shutters.

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love the close up view! I like it with the creamy white (pic my husband took), but I love it with the bright white. It really makes it POP!! Your friend's house is so pretty too! I liked blue just fine, but pink is my favorite color. My old house was very small and all the walls were white. When we looked at our current house, the DR and Kitchen were light blue (the rest of the house was mostly done in mochas). I never had thought of a blue kitchen, but I LOVED it! We repainted but the DR is still light blue - just a softer tone (as is the LR and the foyer and the hallway). The LR has one navy wall and the kitchen walls are all the same navy. Our BR is the same with one navy wall and the rest light, as is our master bath. My mom calls our house the "house of blues." It wasn't the plan, but I love it. It's peaceful and relaxing and calming and I like things to match or blend.

• StoneTooling
    11 years ago

What a beautiful color that is. It looks great with white.

• decordummy_gw
    11 years ago

Wow Deb that apothecary jar is awesome. I'm excited just to see it in pics. Thanks for posting it.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Deb, I found this thread after you posted your corner sink on a current thread. Please tell me about your perimeter counters, and if you've posted a reveal? I'm considering bros blue granite on my white perimeter and grey island; I generally love blue but am now nervous about it - will it be too cold, clash with my wood floors, get tiresome, turn off a future buyer many years from now....any reassurance you can offer would be appreciated!

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    10 years ago

KKS, I don't have a reveal thread because the kitchen was done in steps, and the perimeter was done before I knew about GardenWeb. My perimeter counters are blue pearl granite. They are indestructible :) I don't think blue is cold at all. I think blue is calming and inviting. But then, I love blue! What color are you wood floors? I'm happy with all the color choices we made. The floor is very matte, and I think I would like it a bit shinier, but that's about the only thing I want to change. As far as tiresome - we bought our house almost 4 years ago. Most of the house (including the front door) is done in blue. Yesterday, while shopping for a bathing suit (the dreaded shopping trip!!), guess which ones jumped out at me? The navy and white. Yep, that's what I bought. I just love navy and white together, so nope, it doesn't get tiresome. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your kitchen!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Thank you, Deb. I'm going to take cabinet, floor and even backsplash samples with me to visit the slabs. Standing in front of them, calming was definitely the best word - and I could use some calming!

• lynn_r_ct
    10 years ago

Loving it!!!! Saved it in my Favorites under Kitchen Islands - joining a very few other entries. I am fussy and this fits the bill for me.

I am also definitely making note of the color.

• Peke
    10 years ago

Deb, what are the heights of your two islands with or without your countertops? Thanks, Peke

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Peke - The tall side is counter height (is that 36"?) and the short/table side is table height (which I think is 30"). I'm at work and can't measure, but I'm pretty sure those are the heights and I THINK that is before countertop, which are both 3cm.

• Peke
    10 years ago

Thanks, deb