Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fiftiesredo

How to use paint stripper on kitchen cabinets

FiftiesRedo
12 years ago

I recently learned how to use paint stripper to remove paint off my kitchen cabs. Now I can't believe I ever used sand paper! It's so quick and easy.

I figured I'd pass on the info on how to do it, in case you want to reface your own kitchen cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: HOW TO USE PAINT STRIPPER

Comments (8)

• plllog
    12 years ago

Sounds like another SPAM to me. If you're for real, why don't you tell us something about what you did?

• ae2ga
    12 years ago

I prefer to use Jasco because it works the first time (I like to refinish furniture). You are right that "green" strippers don't work well - any product that requires multiple applications are a waste of time.

The cheap plastic scrapers are good because you cannot gouge the wood while learning how much pressure to apply.

You might want to try an orbital sander for faster finishing. A mouse sander is great for corners and some of the fine detailing.

Be careful - chemical paint strippers are no joke when you get it on your skin. Long sleeves, chemical resistance gloves (the latex ones burn through), and goggles.

Definitely post pictures of your project!

• ghostlyvision
    12 years ago

I read through your blog the other day when you posted about 'refacing your kitchen cabinets' and thought it sounded like a commercial for the cabinet door company. lol

• FiftiesRedo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ae2ga - Wow, thanks! I will change the suggestions on my blog to reflect yours. And I will try Jasco to see how it works! Perhaps my plastic scraper didn't work so well because the paint stripper wasn't strong enough.

@ghostlyvision - So sorry! My friends were asking where I found the cabinet doors and wanted referrals, so I decided to start a blog and share my remodel story. I actually don't get any money for referrals to the cabinet door company. Perhaps I should!

• ae2ga
    12 years ago

Jasco is an excellent product and will strip off years and multiple coats of accumulated paint and finishes of all types without the need to continually reapply and rescrape, but it is STRONG. Be careful, wear protective gear, and have good ventilation so that you don't breathe in fumes and get sick. Jasco works but it's not for the faint at heart.

I've never used KS-3, so I can't say how it works, but with Jasco, apply with the cheap paint brush, and as you're waiting, you'll see the paint crackle and lift.

Oh! One other thing, working with wood and paint stripper, don't let the wood get to wet from the stripper. You'll scrape off wood as well as finish, though this may matter more if the piece you're refinishing has a veneer.

• FiftiesRedo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ ae2ga: I just purchased Jasco, and my experience was about the same as with KS-3, despite the difference in price. Maybe I didn't get the right Jasco? The one I bought says "Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover" (with a 15-min. recommended wait). If this is the same one you have, then my experience might be different from yours because I'm using the product on already-mounted cabinets and thus cannot apply a thick coat (it would drip). You can probably lay it on more thickly, since you are using it on horizontally laid out furniture.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

(BTW, I incorporated your tips on my blog. Thanks!!)

Here is a link that might be useful: How to use paint stripper, edited

• triathletegirl
    3 years ago

Jasco is a gel and sticks to the paint. You may have to add a second coat after 5 minutes. Your final product" will look better if you remove the doors and hinges to strip all the cabinets and it will also make it easier to paint.