Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizziebethtx

What laminate mimics Absolute black granite-Can we upgrade later?

lizziebethtx
13 years ago

We are at the end and out of money. I was going to install tile countertops, but I really would prefer something else. Is there a laminate counter that mimics absolute black granite? We like absolute black because it's dark and has very little or no movement. Assuming there is one will it be possible to upgrade to granite later or will it harm the cabinets to remove it? I'm not really interseted in solid surface or quartz or something along those lines because the cost is close to granite. I need something much less at this point. Thanks a bunch.

Comments (7)

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

You could just go with plain black laminate. Formica black laminate is available in a polished finish. If you are looking for something that looks like honed black absolute, which appears very dark grey, you could take a look at Wilsonart Oiled Soapstone, which does have some movement in it but not a lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Formica

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Go to www.wilsonart.com Click on laminate, then black/gray group. There are loads to look at and I personally like luna night.

Go to www.formica.com Click on laminate. Search the colors. I like black lava and basalt slate.

It's amazing how far a laminate countertop has come since the 10+ yrs. when we had a new laminate put in. We chose granite this time around but there's part of me that almost wishes I had picked one of these new laminates. Some of them mimic natural stone but, of course, they don't feel the same. However, lots less $$.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I recently used basalt slate on a project. It looks, well, more like slate or worn soapstone than absolute black, but it is nice. However it does have a texture to it and if you want the AB loo,k for a sleek or contemporary kitchen, its not going to do it--its a bit rustic.

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

The Basalt Slate comes in several finishes. The Etchings finish (46 suffix) comes the closest to a "real stone" type look. You might also look at Blackstone (271-46).

Or, try your local HD for Absolute Black grantie tiles. They're under $5 a square foot, which is cheaper than the laminate, even when you add in the underlayment and other materials.

• decor8for2
    13 years ago

I have HD luna night by wilsonart and I love it! Here are some so-so pictures. I can try to take better ones if you need them.

Cindy in STL

• decor8for2
    13 years ago

It is very black with just a slight hint of gray if you look directly overhead at it. From a distance it looks pure black. The flash makes it look grayer then it really is.

We bought ours at Home Depot for 14.00 a sq foot.

Cindy in STL

• lizziebethtx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm just now finding all these reponses. Thank you all very much. I'm thrilled there are several options to check out. I didn't expect it. I was really afraid laminate counters would come across as looking terribly plastic. Of course, I know it's not real stone by any means...but I don't want it to scream plastic-looking either. I have a transitional kitchen and I think any of them would work. Thanks so much for all the links and photos. Cindy, your kitchen looks great and I love the countertop. I have some concerns about using HD or Lowe's. I always fear the installer I get (on anything) will be inexperienced and not do a bang-up job. But it appears your guy did a great job. I so appreciate your help...all of you. Thanks ever so much.