Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jake20_gw

Can those soft close drawer rails be purchased?

jake20
15 years ago

Can i purchase soft close rails for my existing drawers?

anyone have any links where they sell them at a good price?

thanks!

Comments (15)

• alex399
    15 years ago

Rockler.com

I work with the Blum undermount softclose slides and they have very tight tolerances for drawer sizes... You will probably have to do some modifications to your existing drawer boxes to get them to work.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

You have to measure your drawer boxes very precisely, but yes you can buy Blumotion drawer glides. If you have Blum Tandem Plus glides already you can add something called Tip-on which will allow you to open drawers by pushing in a little (great if mo pulls), I think it also closes softly.

The best price I found for glides alone was www.AHturf.com but you have to buy the locking mechanisms, screws, brackets, etc. separately. Might be worth it if you're buying a lot so could use 100 small screws that only work in the back brackets, not the sides of the glides (ask me how I know!).

I wish I had bought my glides from the same place I bought my drawers - turned out to be the same price as AHTurf. But you have to buy at least 10 pair if you're not buying drawers, and I don't know if they include the locking clips either, you also have to buy the mounting brackets separately. Don't think they sell the Tip-on. I got really nice dovetailed maple (bottoms too!) drawer boxes from www.TapeEase.com

CabinetParts.com, Woodcraft, and Rockler were all about twice as $$$ as AHTurf.

Good luck.

• davidro1
    15 years ago

Blum will let you know who their distributors are, if you ask them. The distributors sell to cabinetmakers usually, so some of them will tell you which cabinetmaker will be willing to have a retrofit client. Two birds with one stone.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

(slightly) OT - David, did you get the Tip-ons? How do they work? Do they close softly as well as open with "gentle" push?

• homepro01
    15 years ago

I just wanted to state that Blum is not the only manufacturer of soft close features. I love Blum but Accuride, Knape and Vogt and a couple of other people do this too. Find out who manufactured your drawer slides first and assess if they have a soft close feature. I do most of my shopping at Cabinetparts.com. I am not affiliated with them in any way but I like their website and have shopped with them in the past.

Good luck!

• davidro1
    15 years ago

The post is about drawers. Soft-close drawers take a thingie at the back end of the slider, not a Tip-on a the front of the cabinet, AFAIK.

I've ordered but not had my stuff delivered yet. I'm looking for a spring-load mechanism to push open heavy drawers & pullouts. I think Haefele has one.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Yeah, David, this post is about drawers and so was yours. I answered your post looking for a mechanism to open drawers w/o pulls and I was just wondering if the Tip-on (that is a push-open) that I saw and suggested worked, and if it might work for the OP here. Guess you haven't tried it and aren't interested what did you order? But I thought if Jake had Tandem slides already this might be a low-cost add-on for him if they also closed the drawer gently.

Jake, if you do already have Blum you should call them and ask about the Tip-ons. Please let me know how they work if you do. If you don't have Blum then homepro01 was right - find out if there is an add-on option for the glides you already have. I know Blum makes a soft-close for cabinet doors that looks like it doesn't matter what type of hinges you have, but nothing on their website about drawers other than Tip-on. Good luck.

• davidro1
    15 years ago

OK, I remember now that Blum's Tip-on is a "push-open" device. I ordered Besta push latches from Ikea (along with their cabinets, drawers and soft-close for the drawers, and other things like their Blum Aventos HK, etc.).

One more thing for the OP:
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60108677 Drawer damper (stand-alone, newer product)
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90108911 Drawer damper with rail (older product)
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50082036 Door bumper

HTH

• jake20
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks guys...
    These are old cabinets that were built with the house back in 94.. I'm getting all new wood doors and the rest refaced, but I wanted to know if it was possible to also get some soft close rails to use on my old drawers also..

Do those IKEA ones only work with IKEA made drawers?

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Are they decent quality drawer boxes? If not, and you want nice solid dovetailed ones, I really recommend Tape-Ease. And they have the Blum glides )have to check about Blumotion since I bought the regular), they will assemble, finish, notch and drill for the glides. If you buy the glides from them they'll probably even install the locking clips for you (if Blumotion uses the lock and release mechanism). I can send you Jeff's email if you want.

The Blum softclose (Blumotion) and full extension undermount glides require notching the bottom back of the drawers for the glides. I don't know if anyone makes soft-close side-mount glides if that's what you're looking for. Check cabinetparts.com and woodcraft for their selection, but shop around for the price. I think AHTurf sells brnads other than Blum.

• cabmandan
    15 years ago

the GS G-Slide is a sidemount softclose. Has 1-1/8" stroke of soft close action. Not the same thing as blums soft close, but much,much easier to install and less than half the cost.

• jdesign_gw
    15 years ago

I was building drawers to accept Blum soft close slides just today for and free standing island I'm building for a client. The drawers need to be built to specific measurements to work. For instance, inside of drawer needs to be 13/16 from opening. You need a 1/2 inch space under the drawer for the release mechanisms. A specific size notch in the back. A 6mm hole in the back in a certain place that they lock into. Also length is and issue. It's unlikely that your old drawers would meet all of theses requirements if any. Blum is the only brand I use so I don't know about the ones other people have mentioned.

• bethv
    15 years ago

We bought our glides from schockmetal.com. They were about half the price of what we found elsewhere for 48" glides. They have an enormous selection.

• kendog2
    15 years ago

I want to replace all of the drawer slides in our kitchen. We have the ball bearing type that fit on the sides of the drawers. I don't like the noise they make when they open. It would be nice to have the soft-close type but I would be happy with any slides that are quiet and smooth. I looked at the schockmetal and ahturf sites. How can I tell which slides are good without trying them? Can anyone suggest a model and approximate price for standard draweres? Thanks.

• HU-104674272
    last year

You need a 1/2 inch space under the drawer for the release mechanisms. A specific size notch in the back. A 6mm hole in the back in a certain place that they lock into.

Cheers from Waterloo !

Cutrite

https://cutritewoodworking.com/