Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Next step - Choosing Backsplash

Posted by watercolorist (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 11:10

Yikes! I know kitchen renovations can be stressful and I know it will be better in the end without a stove that is duck-taped together :) but oh, how I wish this project already complete.

I am renovating my kitchen with Classic white cabinetry (recessed panel door with pewter glaze accent) and Millenium Cream granite for penisula & countertops. See picture below. I am thinking about a glazed, crackled biscuit color subway tile, 3 x 6, for the backsplash. I found this tiny gray granite that might be useful to incorporate in the backsplash. The kitchen is not large and I am looking to keep things light and bright. Would love to know what backsplashes others have put with these combinations of granite and cabinetry. The granite has tones of gray, cream, brown and the tiniest hue of peach in it.

Does anyone know of a place to purchase crackled, glazed tile at a reasonable price?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Next step - Choosing Backsplash

I love that mosaic - what is it? it looks like wooden beige marble.

regarding prices - I say find what you like first. BS is generally a pretty small area and it's so hard to find the perfect one.

o

Phylhl, I agree with you about making sure. In fact, my fabricator suggested I wait to order backsplash materials until the counters are installed.

I think the grey "mosaic" is a type of marble or granite, although I am not 100% certain. I liked it because it looks like driftwood which is representative of the beach location of the house.

I would love to see pictures of a BS arrangements using subway tiles and small squares of another tile.

o

The phrase "reasonable price" will mean different things to different people. Please specify a budget in $/sf.

o

EAM44, one place quoted $25.00 per square foot plus $125.00 shipping. Can I do better?

o

Watercolor
Which region of the country do you live?
Have you tried to find it locally to save shipping?
I used a crema crackle tile - I could find it on both coasts but not the Midwest - but ended up ordering since it still was a reasonable tile when I amoritized shipping.
That mosaic is pretty. I remember seeing some crackle tiles that leaned a bit more gray than cream but don't remember the names

o

A2gemini, I live in the northeast. I would like to save the shipping cost. The crackle tile I found was handmade in CA, thus the high shipping cost. I like your thoughts about the crackle tile "leaning a bit more grey." Nice call!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here