Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ni_2006

photoshop help please

ni_2006
15 years ago

Thank you to Jodi and Anna who were so kind to help me with photoshoping backsplash tiles last week. I was wondering if I could ask for more help in photoshoping these marble tiles. I just picked up the sample and was wondering if it would work for my kitchen.

Here's a close up of the tiles.

Here is a picture of the tiles with the granite and cabinets.

Thank you soooooo much in advance for your help!

Comments (20)

• gglks
    15 years ago

can't wait to see the photoshop.....i'm pretty sure, even without seeing it, this is my vote!!!!!!!!!!!

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi gglks, I recall that you suggested these type of tiles a couple of months ago :)

Keep fingers crossed!

• gglks
    15 years ago

yep, that was me!!!! these look like a nice size.....not "too" mini, just right!

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The tile size is just right, but the price is not (and I need a lot of tiles)! YIKES!

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Ni, not sure how true the color and brightness is but here you go.

Jodi-

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Ooh, sorry ni_2006 but I think the tile is too small, too busy. I liked the others better (either Horus Art Bianco or Pumice).

• alterit
    15 years ago

I would prefer bigger, but it is not grouted and that can change the look..

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Have to agree with ajsmama - when I saw the small sample, I thought I was going to love these, but they do look too busy to me. Maybe because your cherry cabinets have a lot of grain in them, but that along with the veining in the marble and the pattern in the granite - just too much.

(Wow, I never thought I'd turn down marble mini-bricks!)

Personally, I'd love to see glass subway tile in your kitchen. The glass would be contemporary, the subway shape and pattern would be slightly more traditional - I'd love to see *that* photoshopped!

• User
    15 years ago

I am guessing that the Fire and Ice would be too busy as well?

{{!gwi}}

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Definitely. Too small/too many grout lines in the mini subways, and Fire and Ice also too many colors. I loved how the other 2 (Bianco and Pumice) sat back and let your granite be the star. The mini-subways (and I'm afraid the F&I) scream "look at me!"

• debsan
    15 years ago

It certainly looks a little busy, but without grout, the pattern is emphasized. Further, the repeat of the more distinctive tiles is giving it more "pattern" than what you'd probably have is you had a box of mosaics, instead of one single mosaic repeated over and over.
    Personally, I prefer simplicity in backsplashes, for most kitchens, and I think the marble would be much calmer than the photoshop can convey. I like the marble, however, since your kitchen has the very contemporary stainless(?) bar pulls, I think that the fire & ice might look very good.

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much, Jodi!!! It was very kind of you to do this for me again!

I agree that the marble is definitely very busy. The fact that is not grouted does not help the situation. Larger tiles may work better. I just want to cry since I am so tired of searching for the right tiles. I wanted this to work so badly!!!!

Charlikin, we've considered glass, but we are not sold on the idea that it is the right material for this old house with really low ceilings. Does that make sense??

I don't know about Fire and Ice. It might be too busy as well....

Horus Bianco is still on the list, although Pumice is off the list (for today)....

Why does this have to be so difficult????

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Fire and Ice

Jodi-

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Jodi,

Thanks so much for a mock up of the Fire and Ice. Oh, it is so beautiful! It definitely makes a statement and steals the show! I wonder if it is suitable for a busy granite like mine?

• gglks
    15 years ago

if you think the mini brick is too busy, how about just marble subway tiles?

also, just my two cents, i have seen plenty of beautiful kitchens (almost all of candice olsens!!!!) with mosaic or mini brick backsplashes and they don't look too busy. this picture is just an upclose snapshot of one section of your kitchen.

i would love to see a picture from further back and try to get a feel for the minibricks.

this is such a hard choice because it really boils down to personal preference!!!!!!!!

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Do you want quiet and subtle and then have people notice your granite as they get closer (horizontal surface can't be seen from across the room as well), or do you want the b/s to get immediate attention? I like the Fire & Ice better than the mini subways, but I still *really* liked the quiet Bianco tile. The F&I just drowns out the granite, even close up. What feel do you want? What will put a smile on your face as soon as you walk in the door?

• ncounty
    15 years ago

they both look fantastic to me....it's like choosing between sapphires and rubies. If I had to choose, I prefer the fire and ice because it is so dynamic and it pulls together the greys of your granite countertop with the browns of your cabinet. I think your granite is fairly muted and it would be fine to have a dynamic wow backsplash with it.

• blondelle
    15 years ago

Look at the Unicorn series carrera from Crossville in the 2 X 4 brick on mesh. It's a white marble with little veining and not much shade variation. If you use a grout without too much contrast it won't be too much at all. I have it next to a piece of Bianco Romano now and it works very well with it. A large 4 X 8 glass tile in clear which has a bit of a blue/green tone to it would also be stunning in your kitchen.

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I just had a chance to check GW and saw some more follow up posts. Thanks to all of you for your feedback.

ajsmama - I have been giving this a lot of thought and think I want a simple backsplash with *some* (but not too much) personality. Is that contradictory? LOL!!

gglks - Thank you for keeping my hope alive. I love Alku05's kitchen. She has a similar granite and has used marble mini bricks for her backsplash, which I love love love. My concern is whether similar marble tiles would appear cool against my granite and make the granite appear dirty. Does that make sense? So, if I find larger marble tiles that have more beige tones and less white and gray, that might work for me. Would calcutta tiles be the way to go?

I like the tiles that smilingjudy used! What a lovely kitchen! I hope she doesn't mind me posting this link.

blondelle - I will call around to find a store that carries the Unicorn series carrera from Crossville in the 2 X 4 size. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

ncounty - gosh, I love both sapphires and rubies :)

Here is a link that might be useful: smilingjudy's marble tiles