Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seosmp_gw

Changing window to counter height and widening it

seosmp
11 years ago

Hi,

[I also posted this on the Plumbing forum, but thought those with counter-height windows might have the answers as well].

As part of a kitchen remodel, I'm planning (hoping!) to be able to bring my window down to counter height, and also widen it (from 40" to somewhere b/w 52" and 60").

There is a shower right above the kitchen, where the drain I believe is coming through the floor just above the right side of the window, then coming down to the right of the window and then I'm assuming connecting with the kitchen sink drain at some point (since there is only one drain PVC visible from the basement below).

I will not be doing this myself, however I want to understand the process before I decide to do it. The contractor did generally say he can move electrical and plumbing to accommodate a lower/wider window. The window contractor just expects all this to be moved before he re-frames the opening. I found this post regarding the plumbing.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/plumbing/msg0608072320822.html

What I want to confirm is:

- it is ok to re-route the drain piping from where it is to the right of the wider window (so around 10" to the right), without moving the location of the drain PVC above the current window? So from the existing shower drain PVC, just run further to the right, then vertical along the window frame, then run back to connect to the current kitchen drain?

- similar question for the vent - although I do not actually see this at this point. I have soffits and I can see the drain PVC but not the venting PVC, but I assume it's there somewhere.

I just want peace of mind that there will be no issues doing this (I need to order the window soon and I want to make sure the new window will work!)

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• pirula
    11 years ago

I can't comment on the plumbing issue. You definitely need a professional's advice. Also, be sure to ask him about insulation to avoid freezing pipes on an outside wall. Our sink pipes are technically inside the house and we insulated there very well. No problems.

But I did want to add that you may also need to consider structural issues. I'm not sure if it's true of all houses, but in our house, the exterior wall is structural and it was a huge big deal to widen our window. A new header had to be put in etc. So you'll need an engineer or something like that to come in and discuss that with as well. shortening or lengthening is no big deal, but widening it can be.

• seosmp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the reply!

The window contractor will reframe the opening, including a new header. We will have to get a permit from the village for the change as well. So I think he's ok with the change in the window size. I just want to confirm there should be no issue from a plumbing perspective.... the contractor I will be using is on vacation for a couple weeks, so I'm not able to get an answer from him right now.

Thanks!

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

You also need to consider how you will install the required kitchen counter receptacles.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

My saga on plumbing may be of interest to you, too. Here is a picture of my final effort, and the link below has the background information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Venting my kitchen sink

This post was edited by Angie_DIY on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 22:26

• finestra
    11 years ago

I wanted my kitchen window to go down to the counter. But it didn't end up that way. I think it is 4 or 5 inches higher than the counter. You would have to consider the material for the base of the window. Will it be the same as your counters? I have noticed that a lot of water/dirty food splash behind my faucet when I spray or especially when my husband cleans up. If I had the window sill there right now, I think I would have a lot of water spots on my window. I don't know for sure though. I do love that look! Good luck - I hope the structural issues work out for you.

• seosmp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Angie_DIY - thanks for the picture! Could you check the link above? It's not working for me???? Thanks!!

finestra - I'm bumping the window out about 10", so I don't think that should be an issue. Thanks!

brickeyee - thanks for the reminder - I will use Silllites if I have to.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Not sure why that link was corrupted... Somehow one of the letters got substituted with the html code for that letter.
    Hope this one works:

Here is a link that might be useful: Venting my kitchen sink

• seosmp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the reply!

The window contractor will reframe the opening, including a new header. We will have to get a permit from the village for the change as well. So I think he's ok with the change in the window size. I just want to confirm there should be no issue from a plumbing perspective.... the contractor I will be using is on vacation for a couple weeks, so I'm not able to get an answer from him right now.

Thanks!

• rslmt
    11 years ago

Hi -

we did something very similar -- installed a wider window and moved it slightly to the right. The new window was also installed at counter height. Both the GC and plumber thought there would be issues with plumbing (moving pipes -- drain and exhaust/vent) and included it in the estimates. They considered it a very routine thing. When I asked "what if there aren't any pipes to be moved, will you back out the amount included in the estimate?" They smiled and said of course, but there's probably pipes back there...and there were.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Different localities are on different plumbing codes. So, it's a "maybe" answer about the plumbing. All of the plumbing changes need to be confirmed by the plumber before you order your window. Because the answer just might be, "no", you can't do what you want without a lot more expense than you think or a chase built out. You can do some research at your local codes office as to which code you are under, and if the walls are open so you can see the pipes, the inspector might even offer suggestions as to how what you want can legally be accomplished. Better to get their support now than to get red flagged by the inspector at inspection time and have to stop work and not be able to use the window that you ordered after all.

• seosmp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I guess I will wait for the contractor to confirm. He had already said he could move plumbing to widen the window, but I will confirm the details (venting and shower drain from upstairs).

Thanks for the replies!