Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justmejulie

I need pictures of White Subway tile

Julie B
14 years ago

I am planning on basic white subway tile for my backsplash over a blackish granite. I am looking at all kinds. Glossy straight edge, hanmade uneven edge, beveled. If you have subway tile, especially white can you please post a picture? Also if you could let me know what color grout you used that would be so helpful also. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! :o)

Comments (24)

• jeanteach
    14 years ago

I have white beveled subway tile from Lanka. Here are some pix. Hope this helps.

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

Jeanteach, your kitchen is so sweetie!

• jeanteach
    14 years ago

Thanks, sabjimata. Unfortunately my original post which has all the photos of my finished kitchen has vanished from Gardenweb :(
    (Also bumping this for you justmejulie.)

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Don't forget to search katieob...hers is beautiful too!

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Mine is about as basic as you can get! As far as grout, I have to laugh. I purchased a bag of Ice White along with my tiles, and when the tile guy came, he indicated with cupped hands how much he planned to use for my project, just a tiny fraction of what I had in the bag. So I have no idea what color the grout is. But the tile is Neri White beveled 3x6 by Adex, with quarter round 1x6 liners.

This may not be helpful, as it sounds like you are planning on a larger area. We only had the area directly behind the range done; the rest is beadboard with paint above. Also we're not finished yet, so it's difficult to get an idea of how it will look in its completed state.

• Julie B
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all, love them all!

Willow, do you have close-up of your tile? I can't see the crackle in the photos. Also what color grout did you use?

For those with beveled, is it harder to clean? Am espcially thinking behind a stove?

• skoo
    14 years ago

I have the same tile as willow - here's a close-up where you can sort of see the crackle (it's hard to capture in a photo). The grout is white unsanded.

• Julie B
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Skoo, is that a crackle like in a color or is it just a texture you can feel?

• redroze
    14 years ago

Here's mine - Ann Sacks, brand is Heath Ceramics, colour Chalk White, 2x8, handmade unevven edge. It makes the tiling trickier as your grout lines have to account for the unneven edges.

• redroze
    14 years ago

And I think I can only spell uneven wrong in so many different ways... LOL

• rookie_2010
    14 years ago

I don't have white subway in my kitchen but I have a shower done in it. It's just a plain white ceramic tile from Florida tile Retro Classics with snow white grout (about a quarter shade off bright white).
    When choosing between beveled and non, I was advised that I would get a tighter joint or grout line with non-beveled. Again, mine was for a shower so I went with non-beveled for that reason alone. I don't think it's as big a concern on a backsplash nor do I think that it's that big a difference between grout line sizes.

What the heck, even though this is the kitchen forum, white subway is white subway right?

White subway in shower and my daughter's leg, she was eating her snack on the bench....
    {{gwi:1428278}}

• Julie B
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all. I know this decision should be easy but for some reason it is hard for me. I like the look of all of them. Originally I thought I would go with a simple cheap 3x6 white glossy tile like they sell at Home Depot. But then I keep looking at these nice kitchens with a slightly different variation and they all look great to me so now I am thinking a plain white glossy would be to plain.

• Nettie
    14 years ago

Here's mine. Anchorbay tile in beveled with crackle finish. Plain white grout.

• segbrown
    14 years ago

Bright white 6x8 US Ceramic with pewter grout.

• rookie_2010
    14 years ago

Segbrown,
    I just love the larger subway tiles!

Justmejulie,
    I had a terribly difficult time choosing tile, the possibilities are endless. Even white subway has a ton of variations! After looking at everyone;s photos, I think the point is that no matter which one you choose, you can't go wrong, it's a classic and will look great.

• skoo
    13 years ago

Julie - the crackle is in the tile underneath the glaze. The surface of the tile is still smooth. Kind of imagine if you took a regular tile, hit it lightly with a hammer so that you get these hairline spiderweb fractures throughout the tile, and then you glazed the tile for a smooth top finish. The crackle on the Horus Art is very subtle. Not all crackle tiles are the same, though. I had originally discarded the idea of crackle tile based on some others I had seen, but I really liked the Horus Art and also another one that I saw at Walker Zanger (the name currently escapes me, but I do remember that the Horus Art was cheaper).

• sayde
    13 years ago

The Walker Zanger crackle tile is Gramercy Park. Gorgeous and expensive. Trikeenan makes a series of tiles (Madulus) that includes crackle tiles in several whites and off white colors -- not as expensive. Johnson is an English company that also makes crackle subway tiles in white and colors. I used these in a bathroom. Both of these brands are more than the HD/Daltile but less than WZ.

• donnakay2009
    13 years ago

Here's ours:

We used Daltile subway tiles from HD. Our tile guy used basic white grout. Plain Jane, but that's what we wanted because our house is 80 years old. Hope this helps!!

• sally123
    13 years ago

I used mini-subways. Probably not what you are looking for, but I can't help it. They're just so cute.

• theanimala
    13 years ago

Here's ours, a bit different as we used white glass tiles.

• hillebop
    12 years ago

THANKS for this thread! Am done with the kitchen except for the tile. Like so many of you, I have creamy white cabinets, Barroca soapstone, and wood floors. I always pictured a fancy backsplash in my kitchen. However, I chose the beautiful La Cornue Cornufe 43" stove in Provence Blue. It is so pretty. I knew I wanted 2 x 8 subway tile for the kitchen but I always pictured having a cute little 1/2 inch stick trim all over and also some sort of decorative backsplash. However, the trim would probably go through ALL of my outlets and look all broken up. Any design on the backsplash would be upstaged by the stove. Now I see that just having plain subway tile is classy. Will probably do a pot rack and hang a few pretty things over the stove.

It really helped me to see the different variations that everyone has posted-- crackle, gloss, matte, beveled edge, handmade slightly irregular tile vs. having more uniform size of tile, various types of grout, sizes of tile, etc.

I have always liked the Mission Tile West (Pasadena, CA) Revival line; am looking at their 2 X 8. It's really flat, not so cushioned on the edges, and I can have really thin grout. It should look a lot like the Ann Sacks Heath photo except for more uniform size and a little glossier.

Will try to post a photo when we are done!

• kolohewahine
    12 years ago

I too am looking for white subway type tile. I love the glass tile in hillebop's kitchen. I would love to know what brand and color they are. The tile match the cabinets so well. If possible I would also like to know what color the cabinets are in hillebop's kitchen. I am in the process of selecting a color for my cabinets, and these look to be the right shade of white.

• kolohewahine
    12 years ago

I made a mistake. It is theanimala's kitchen that has the white glass subway tile and the white cabinets that I would like to know the color of. Sorry for the confusion.