Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrak2008

My kitchen will never be the same....

debrak2008
10 years ago

Yesterday our dog Sparky was put to sleep. He was just about 12 years old and a tumor started bleeding internally.

While I would love to tell you all about Sparky I will try to keep it kitchen related.

Sparky's area in the kitchen is actually on our blueprints marked as "Dogs cubby" This is where his bed, food, and water was. Sparky was an Aussie and the runt of the litter. Being the runt was funny as he grew up to be much larger than an average Aussie. He loved food. He would eat anything.

While cooking Sparky would quietly sneak up behind me and laydown. Hoping that I would turn around and trip over him dropping food. This happened once and he never forgot it. I realized I learned to shuffle my feet in the kitchen as to not step on him. We always opened the dishwasher carefully as he would come running, trying to lick up any droppings.

If I dropped any food on the food if he wasn't right there I would call him over to clean it up.

DH moved all Sparkys stuff over to his area as kind of a memorial. When I opened the cabinet where his food was kept to take out something else, I saw the empty spot and burst into tears.

Sparky spent most of his time in this kitchen and I can't imagine it ever being the same. I think I will always shuffle my feet when cooking.

Sparky looking for handouts as a turkey is being carved.

Comments (45)

• speaktodeek
    10 years ago

Oh, I'm so sorry about Sparky. What a big hole now in your kitchen, and, more so, in your hearts. I would like to think Sparky is romping over the Rainbow Bridge with some of mine up there over the years, and he takes a break now and then to come visit your kitchen as its patron dog-saint.

It really, really hurts, when they go.

• justmakeit
    10 years ago

Oh, so sad, and I'm so sorry for your loss. Sparky was a handsome dog. Your wonderful description made me feel as though I knew him. Sending good thoughts your way.

• fishymom
    10 years ago

What a beautiful dog. I am so sorry for your loss. Peace to you and your family.

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

Hugs. It's a really sad day when we have to let go of our pets. :(

• andreak100
    10 years ago

debra - it's heartbreaking. And it isn't fair that they are only "loaned" to us. Sending warm wishes and hugs out to you and your family over your loss. Thank you for sharing your memories of him...and feel free to share more Sparky stories here - remember a lot of people here have designed their kitchens around their dog's looks...hardly think that anyone would dare to call your sharing stories of him as "off-topic".

• amck2
    10 years ago

I want to add my condolences for your loss. Sparky was a beautiful dog and in the first picture you can see the impish personality you describe. It will take time, but eventually warm memories of a good friend will help fill the hole in your heart.

• Bph2
    10 years ago

Debra, so sorry to hear about Sparky. My thoughts and prayers to you and DH.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Such a beautiful story full of love. What a lucky pup, which he surely knew. Wish they could all have lives like that. Sorry he had to go. It is always too soon.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I'm so so sorry.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss of your beautiful Sparky who will remain in your heart forever. My thoughts are with you as I know the pain of losing a Furchild. So glad you have so many wonderful memories of him.

• magsnj
    10 years ago

RIP Sparky. It sounds like he lived a great life and was a real cooks companion. My condolences.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Beautiful dog & it sounds like he had a happy life. I'm so sorry.

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry! I know exactly how you feel. I cried daily for a few months after losing my doggie. He was my first baby and still 3 years later LOVE to find one of his hairs (very similar fur to Sparky) in my car or around the house. We are clean freaks and sometimes I think they must be still around because he is still running around the house. I'm sure Sparky will always be in your kitchen. Xoxo

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Sparky was a beautiful boy! I'm sure you'd miss him no matter what, but being the runt and needing more care...they seem to be even more like one of our children, don't they?

I miss my Sammy ever day (my kitty) and I know Sparky will always be in your thoughts. Just remember, he was SO LUCKY to have people who loved him! He was a special guy, who will always make you smile and he will always have a place in your kitchen and your heart :)

• Bunny
    10 years ago

debra, I'm so sorry. Sparky was such a beautiful boy and I'm sure brought you and your family joy beyond measure. It's so very tough when it's time to say goodbye and I have the utmost respect for people who acknowledge when it's time to let go.

I miss all my departed pets every single day, but I know one day we'll be together again. Peace to you and DH.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Debra
    I am so sorry to hear about Sparky. I don't have a dog currently but loved my first dog. Take care

• sherri1058
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry that you had to go through this. The time they spend with us really is too short. You have my condolences.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

They surely do get into the softest part of our hearts don't they!? I am not really a pet person and never used to understand how people felt, until the day came when I had to hold our ancient cat on her last journey, because my husband (Patsy was always 'his' not mine) just emotionally couldn't do it.

And then I knew, and now I join those who say I'm so very sorry for your loss. The love and the laughter our pets bring--it's special and I hope your memories make you smile as years go by.

• cba6777
    10 years ago

So sorry for your loss. How lucky Sparky was that he lived with a family who cared enough to have a "Dog's Cubby" on their kitchen plans!

• renov8r
    10 years ago

What lovely memories you have. So sorry for your loss. Our dog made family memories too. He has been gone for some time now but often he is brought up in our conversations. He loved to beg for food in our kitchen. The kids always were able to sneak him food without my seeing it, especially those things they disliked. Chester ate it all. Our kitchen chairs have his little scratches to remind us of him. I am thinking of family memories particularly today as we have started to gut our kitchen. Chester leaves his mark as well and those chairs will be gone soon.

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

I am very sorry for your loss. Our animals are like family too, and losing them is never easy.

• cani
    10 years ago

So sorry for your loss. I have lost two this year that I adopted as seniors so I can relate. I couldn't help but smile at your description of him, he sounds adorable. When you are ready, it would be a tribute to him to open your heart and home to another dog that you will treat just as wonderfully as you treated Sparky. Sorry for the pain you are going through now.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Sending caring thoughts.

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

Oh, Debra. I am so sorry for your loss. I'm crying right along with you. Our furry family members become such a fixture in our homes and routines. I don't care if you keep it kitchen related or not. I'd love to hear more about him if you want to share. I haven't popped in for so long, but still feel like some of the regulars (including you) are my friends. I am hurting for you, my friend.

Take care,
    Breezy

• larecoltante Z6b NoVa
    10 years ago

I am so sorry. He looks like he was a "spark." They aren't with us nearly long enough.

• Amy Sumner
    10 years ago

Thank you for sharing. That's exactly what makes the kitchen the heart of the home. Thinking about Sparky and his lovely family...

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing some of Sparkys favorates. With tears in my eyes my heart goes out to you and your family on your loss.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for all the kind words! You are all helping us through this time.

Here is a little more about Sparky who was named by our son as we brought him home to us on Independence Day and while they say you shouldn't we did take him to see fireworks that night and many other times. He was never scared.

Sparky was the most gentle dog I have ever known. He would never bite or attack any person or animal. He would not even defend himself when other dogs attacked him. He loved other dogs and people. People were always drawn to him and it seems everyone who met him would say what a nice dog he was. Little kids loved to pet him as he would sit quietly and enjoy the attention. He was the perfect family dog.

His favorite toy was empty milk jugs. He like the sound they made when he would catch them. In his younger years he was amazing, jumping and catching frisbees out of the air.

Sparky was very talkative and would join in conversations. If you never heard an Aussie "talk" it is so cool. Sparky liked lots of attention. Instead of "talking" and barking to get your attention sometimes he would just lay quietly and very slowly start breathing louder. This would make us laugh. For many years he would howl when hearing police or fire trucks. In his later years he would howl in his sleep (day or night) It was the most chilling sound. It was like a lone wolfs call.

He always wanted to be as close to us as possible. If you stood in one place for too long he would come and lay across your feet.

Sparky had an unbelievable coat of fur. Every groomer would say they had never seen an Aussie with such a thick coat of fur. I'm sure his fur is so imbedded in this house we will be finding it for years to come.

Our kids (17 & 20) are also grieving. My DD is more reserved and is finding pictures of him for a collage we are making. My DS was very close to Sparky and is having a very hard time. He would take Sparky for walks in the woods and for rides in his car.

While we knew this day was coming eventually I think both DH and I was shocked as to how hard it is hitting us. Some day we would like to have another dog but we want to wait until we know we will have the time to devote. As you can imagine Sparky was quite a handful. While we are remembering the goods times I admit many times he drove me crazy with all his energy. For now Cuddles the cat will get all the attention.

I really appreciate all the support : )

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 22:19

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Oh no - so sorry to hear. I know it's difficult now, but please take comfort in knowing that both of your lives were richer having been together for the 12 years you had. Would love to hear more Sparky stories if you don't mind sharing...

• scootermom
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. Keep those memories close. Glad you will have those little fur bits to help you reminisce. Sometimes it will hurt a bit to find them, but sometimes it will bring an unexpected memory that you'll be grateful to recall.

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

debrak2008, your beautiful posts are a wonderful tribute to Sparky. I'm so sorry your hearts are hurting. He was lucky indeed to have such a loving home.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

I am so sorry debrak. It's never easy. :(

• Linda
    10 years ago

I understand that your heart must be breaking. Thank you for sharing about Sparky. He sounds like he was a very special part of your family, and I hope all of your wonderful memories will help to ease your pain a little.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

so sorry he's gone, your post is sweet, I enjoyed it.

• amykath
    10 years ago

There are few words a person can say at a time like this. I lost my beagle Murphy a year ago. I was beyond devastated. Your Sparky sounds like the kind of dog everyone wants. The kind that will love you and do anything for you. I am so sorry for your loss and for the pain that goes with it. Our pets are like our children that never grow up, They are pure innocence and love. Hugs to you and your family!

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

debrak, thanks for your lovely posts about your beautiful dog. Sorry for your loss.

• Evan
    10 years ago

So sorry for your loss. They certainly enrich our lives for the short time they are with us!

• lcm_maine
    10 years ago

So sorry for your loss. I echo those who have said he will always be with you, and always in your kitchen.

• ardcp
    10 years ago

sparky sounds like a wonderful furry pal and i am so sorry for you! it is so very hard to lose a beloved furry friend.

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

What a sweet and beautiful dog!

Have you read "The Art of Racing In the Rain"? You might like it. Also, I found this poem for a friend when she lost her sweet dog:

My Good Death by Dalia Shevin

I will find myself waist deep in high summer grass.
    The humming shock of the golden light.
    And I will hear them before I see them and know right away
    who is bounding across the field to meet me.
    All my good dogs will come then, their wet noses
    bumping against my palms, their hot panting, their rough faithful tongues.
    Their eyes young and shiny again.
    The wiry scruff of their fur, the unspeakable softness of their bellies,
    their velvet ears against my cheeks.
    I will bend to them, my face covered with
    their kisses, my hands full of them.
    In the grass I will let them knock me down.

• psbjmb
    10 years ago

What a handsome, precious dog! I am so sorry for your loss, losing furry friends is so tough. They give us such boundless, unconditional love - endlessly patient and forgiving, always willing to give kisses or just 'be' with us.

There's nothing anyone can say to help that hole in your life, but I truly believe that there is a special place in heaven for our beloved pets, so he'll be there waiting for you - healed and happy, ready to catch a Frisbee or milk jug (I would like to have seen that, lol) or scam some treats :-) ... ((hugs))

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing pets is one of the hardest things that we go through.

Keep an eye on Cuddles as well as she/he will also be grieving the loss of Sparky`s presence.

Take care.

• tea4all
    10 years ago

Sparky was a beauty! And it sounds like his temperament matched his lovely appearance. Aussies are a delightful dog. My dad had the first Aussie I ever knew and I would take one in a heartbeat. They are fuzz balls of love and sweetness for sure! You were just as fortunate to experience life with Sparky as he was to have your loving family care for him. Blessings to you all as you walk through this grieving period.

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss DebraK. He was a beautiful dog, looks so friendly, and I enjoyed hearing about him. Sorry you are hurting, thoughts and prayers to you...

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Hugs to you and your family, Debra. I've been through this with a few dogs, and it is heartbreaking. But, as one of my teenaged sons wisely said, the pain of losing them is nothing compared to the joy they bring us.

I loved reading your Sparky stories. I hope that those fond memories help take the edge off the pain.