Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soapstone and countertop decisions

Posted by khallock (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 10:55

I used Cambria in my last kitchen and I like that it took the guesswork out of natural stone. I found it intimidating to think about choosing a granite slab, and all the different kinds to choose from, and whether or not they were more likely to stain, etc...

I still wouldnt mind using Cambria again, but the price is worrying me. And the color I really like is a color my husband really does not like.

I've always liked soapstone and I want to maybe consider that but before I do I would like to figure out the average price per sq foot.

I also want to know what kind of soapstone I should be looking at. I want something that isnt really soft. I like the "classic" soapstone that is dark grey or black and I really do like the white veins running through it. I do not want green. What kinds should I be looking at?

Also, I live in Vermont and I know there are 2 companies up here. Green Mountain Soapstone and Vermont Soapstone. Has anyone used them? Will they have the kind of soapstone that I like?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soapstone and countertop decisions

You'll probably have to call them directly and see what's in stock. Also, if you're using a general contractor, they may not give you a price. Everything goes through the contractor so they can add on their charge. I'm getting soapstone and also using it for my backsplash. I have no idea what I'm paying per sq foot because of all the extras they're doing (cutting the backsplash down to 2cm, putting a cap on a raised wall). I don't think I want to know.

o

Ok. We are not using a contractor. This is all DIY. But I expected to be able to purchase countertops and have someone come in and template them and install them. Will a regular soapstone company do that? I guess I need to find out.

o

Yes, a company like Vermont Soapstone would come in and template and install for you. I got my soapstone from Dorado Soapstone in Massachusetts. I believe it ended up being around $70-75.00/sq. ft. There are various degrees of softness or hardness as the case may be. Most companies will sell you or give you samples that you can take home and try out. Try to scratch them, hammer them etc. to see how they hold up. A lot of people here have soapstone, so I hope you'll hear from some others. Dorado's website shows some of the slabs they carry, and has a gallery of counters. http://www.doradosoapstone.com. If you do a search at the bottom of the page or just in google for gardenweb soapstone, hopefully you'll find some threads about soapstone.

This is mine - it's called Medium Minus. I have to say, I've never seen it any other place. It's a little on the soft side, but I loved the turquoise veins.

photo IMG_4268.jpg

photo IMG_4020.jpg

o

I got my Soapstone through Green Mountain this past June. If you call them they will give their certified dealer in your area. I used their dealer in NY, the price was $82/sq ft. All soapstone will have a little green I think but it is not noticeable depending on the variety. Some varieties are very green and others appear more black(after applying wax/oil).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here