Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvnola

done! completely gutted, tight budget!!

luvnola
15 years ago

I can hardly believe we are finished!! We had a VERY TIGHT budget in order to completly gut (to the studs) our space, rewire, move plumbing, replace slider and both windows and then rebuild. I say all of this to hopefully offer a little encouragement to those who feel like they have ALOT to accomplish with a little.

I never could have accomplished this goal without all of the GREAT advice, coaching, experience and help from the talented people here. You may not have known you were helping at the time but from reading all of the post and help, advice and encouragement which followed you all played a part in the completion of this project! So a toast to all!!

The details:

cabinets- Ikea Stat white

faucet - pegasus orb bridge

cooktop - Kenmore Pro

Fridge - Kenmore Elite French Door

Hood - Kenmore Elite European

Double ovens - GE

Counters - Copper

Island - Maple Butcher Block

Floor - 18inch ceramic tile on diagnal

We are NOT the DIY type but we did all of the above for $15,500 EXCLUDING appliances which were just shy of $5,500. I tell you this so that you know it can be done with a lot of shopping, research, luck and a little help from your friends on GW:)

Thanks again to all!!

Here is a link that might be useful: before and after kitchen photos

Comments (50)

• iambpt
    15 years ago

WOW... great job. An amazing transformation! Did you tackle the entire thing by yourselves or sub out parts of the job?? This really is an amazing feat!
    b

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

Wow it's gorgeous! I love your faucet. I love it all! good job

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Yowza! I would die for your copper counters - wow! Very well done! And send the kitty my way for her next nap ...

• armomto3boys
    15 years ago

Wow, great job! I LOVE the copper counters. I would also love to see some closer pics of them. :)

Congrats on a beautiful kitchen!

• luvnola
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all for your kind words!

bethandkevin - it was ALL subed out (except for Demo) as DH and I are NOT talented in the DIY department. We were our own GC's though

armomto3boys - I will have to take some close ups of the counters tonight and will try posting tomorrow. I LOVE the patina. It tells a different story everyday:)

circuspeanut - Yes our kitty is also LOVING the fact that things are back to normal and he can rest easy again:)

• jaymielo
    15 years ago

Beautiful remodel luvnola. What a transformation. Quick question. I noticed the little cubbies to the right of your sink. What are you planning on using them for? Congratulations! Jaymie

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

Love those counters!!!! Beautiful!

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

Nice Job! Love those counters!!

• suzieca
    15 years ago

Oh, it's so beautiful! You have given me hope! We are also on a tight budget and keep running into problems. I love your backsplash and what is that over your cooktop? The decorative piece? Love it!
    Enjoy your new space!!!

• louisianapurchase
    15 years ago

That is amazing! Beautiful! I think I know the answer if I were to ask "Where Y'at?" I love those copper countertops!!!

Shannon

• neesie
    15 years ago

Kelly, what an amazing transformation! Love the light fixture over your sink and the amazing countertops. Cute little cubbies next to the sink, did you design that and what are they for? The oven hood is beautiful and so is your decoration underneath it on the backsplash. I noticed your username, are you located in New Orleans, or just have a special place in your heart for it like I do?

I'm looking forward to more pictures of your copper countertops, so will be checking back!

• luvnola
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jaymielo - The cubbies to the right are a filler as with Ikea I needed it to accomodate the standard cabinet sizes. As it stands now, the little ones at the top I use for "stuff" like the cooking nun that my MIL gave me that's there now. The larger one is where I keep my cooking magazines and the weeks dinner menu, and the bottom drawers I use for notepads, pens, scissor, tape and the a like.

suzieca - I'm glad I could offer a little hope as I received so much hope and help form the forum I'm happy I could do the same for someone as well! The decorative piece is iron and I found it in the outdoor section at Hobby Lobby for $10. I liked it, it was the right size and style and the price was definitely right:)

• berryberry
    15 years ago

Very nice transformation. While I am not typically a fan of white cabinets, they really work in your space and your overall color scheme is very nice

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

Meow! kitty loves the new kitchen..... so do I! FANTASTIC results! Enjoy!

• luvnola
    Original Author
    15 years ago

louisianapurchase - I now actually live in SC. Long sordid story. By the way, How's ya Mamma and 'Dem?

Neesie - Thanks! I am actually from N.O. but as you can see from my response to louisianapurchase I now live in SC. I do get to go home a couple of times a year (NOT NEAR ENOUGH!) and do my best to make one of them during an LSU home game. GEAUX TIGERS!

• cpang74
    15 years ago

Great job! Love the counters! I have the cabinet depth Kenmore Trio-it's great-do you like yours?

• luvnola
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi cpang74 -

So far I LOVE mine! I can actually see what I have in the fridge! I know there were a couple of people who didn't like the ice maker at the bottom as they said it spilled ice when they opened the door, but so far for me (and my 2 DS's, 6 and 7) it hasn't been a problem. I highly recommend mine!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Are you SURE this is the same house?!! ;-) You must be thrilled to walk into that kitchen. It really is an accomplishment. I didn't even see the perimeter counters at first, because I so loved the butcher block island...But with copper, too... Wow. VERY nice!

• lily1342
    15 years ago

Congratulations on your beautiful transformation! So many elements to love about your kitchen, where to start? Wish I could have fit an island and a wine fridge in mine. Your design has everything and looks so functional. Love your breakfast nook and the mini chandelier there. Looks like you have a chalkboard off to the side there? Love that. The copper countertops are super nice and I agree the cooktop area looks great. What is your backsplash? It looks good with the copper. I think that was a creative solution with the filler next to the sink. Little cubbies like that always come in handy, don't they? The new door and windows finish everything off so handsomely. You did so much with your budget and the results are wonderful!!!

• luvnola
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much everyone!:) You are all WAY too kind! I am enjoying my new space. It makes me smile each time I walk into it. AND, and extra added value, I don't have canned goods beaning me in the head when I open a cabinet door:)

• paul_ma
    15 years ago

Very impressive to be done on such a budget.

As I was looking at the before pictures I was getting ready to comment that you needed a new camera more than a new kitchen. But it appears that either you got the new camera with the new kitchen, or else maybe with the new kitchen you could stop drinking so much. :-)

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I'm about to tackle my kitchen remodel. Are those GE Profile double ovens? They look like mine, and I also need to place my microwave above two ovens. Which model microwave do you have that fits so nicely in the cubby above? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

• clc08
    15 years ago

That is just awesome! You must have a lot of artistic ability...the colors and textures are so right together..those countertops are breathtaking. Your kitty is glad all the hoopla is over, right? We are just starting...and our cat doesn't much like it one bit. Your kitchen is an inspiration! Yea!

Cinda

• lilyj
    15 years ago

Kelly,
    Please tell me about your backsplash. What is it and where did you find it? It looks like aged brick to me. I love it. Love white kitchens. They make me smile inside and I can't wait until mine is finished!

• alku05
    15 years ago

Please spill the details about that metal work hanging over your cooktop! I'm in the market for a something-or-other to hang over mine...

• clax66
    15 years ago

I love what you've accomplished! Especially those counters and wine fridge. I also love the contrast of dark island and white perimeters, which is what I'll be doing for my kitchen:) Kittie looks pleased:)

• marthavila
    15 years ago

This is one of those transformations that just ought to be studied and copied for its mastery. You go! What a great job! You've achieved functionality, good looks, warmth, zest and class all rolled into one. Best part of it all, is that you transformed your entire kitchen into such a wonderful new space on a truly reasonable budget. (I'm betting that, in the days to come, the latter skill will become even more highly regarded amongst us TKOS on this forum). You deserve to be very proud of yourself and this work you have done!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Great job! Congrats! Just a beautiful kitchen. Give kitty a scratch behind the ears for me please!

• msrose
    15 years ago

Did your pictures get deleted? I'm seeing your Colorado home, but I don't see any kitchen pictures.

Laurie

• msrose
    15 years ago

okay, this is weird. I just realized it's allison's Colorado home, not yours. Here's what I'm getting when I click on your link. Anyone have any idea why that would happen?

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Allison's Colorado home

• luvnola
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good Morning All -

Thanks again for all of the compliments. I truly appreciate your kind words AND it makes me give a great big sigh of relief that this TKOer managed to somehow make it all work.

To answer a few questions:

Paul ma - no new camera. It was just on the incorrect setting, but the fact that I didn't realize it until much later probably lends to your assumption that too many glasses of wine can blur ones vision:)

boysrus2 - My ovens are GE profile 30inch. Because of my limited space I dropped then down as far as I could and added the microwave on top which is also a GE very inexpensive, $89 at Lowes. We only use the microwave for reheating so I didn't need anything fancy. I have a Cuisinart toaster oven that is also convection so that pretty much takes the place of a fancier convection microwave for me. It works great, it's very powerful quick and easy and even my boys can work it! I am very happy with it so far!

lilyj - My backsplash are brick pavers from Magnolia Brick Pavers in Prairieville La. They color is Savanah. They were $1.89 a square foot. They will ship anywhere but that does drive the cost up a bit. However, if you have a business address you can have them shipped to it is less $. With shipping I think they came to $3.15 a square foot. There is a sealer that is applied to them which beads up water, resisit grease etc. Very easy to clean and I think a large container of sealer was $4. I highly recommend Magnolia Brick Pavers. Their customer service was impecable and they have quite a few BEAUTIFUL colors to choose from. There was another poster on this site who also used them (I'm sorry I don't remember her user name). Her kitchen was GORGEOUS, and quite a bit larger than mine. She used the pavers for her floor, backsplash and another wall. I think her kitchen is in the FKB so maybe do a search there for brick floors and see if it pops up.

alku05 - the iron piece behind the cooktop was just something I happened to come across as Hobby Lobby in the outdoor/garden section for $10. If you have a Hobby Lobby in your area it may be worth a trip. And, they always put things on sale for 50% off!

Thanks again to all! I appreciate your encouragement!

• luvnola
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WHOA msrose! I have no idea how my link would have gotten linked with Allisons Colorado Home. I'll look for her post and warn her of it if you haven't already done so. Maybe she can delete her link and reinstate.

• neesie
    15 years ago

In any case, I loved looking at Allison's home. Geez, you TKO's have me feeling like I live on Tobacco Road! And luvnola, remember you were going to post more pix of the copper countertops! Great thread!

• luvnola
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi neesie -

I haven't forgotten about posting more photos of the countertops! I was side tracked last night with homework, dinner, laundry and the alike. I'm sure you know the drill. I have it on my to do list this weekend along with hours of yard work. Hopefully I will have them for you by Monday (I typically post from my work computer since my home computer is older than I am = ancient) :)

• bestyears
    15 years ago

luvnola, you you really need to submit this to a magazine that does Budget renovations -an amazing job. Can you be more specific about your floor? We have wood floors in our adjoining family room (Brazillian Cherry)but would like to put tile in the kitchen. I think the tiles you used would blend beautifully. Many thanks, and congratulations.
    Lynn

• louisianapurchase
    15 years ago

Hey nola,

A bit off topic but I love talking to people from home. I will tell Momma an Dem you axed about em!! It would be fun to bump into ya at a Tiga's game tis fall. I will definately be at the UGA and Bama games. Do y'all have a place where ya tailgate? By the way DH is coming to SC next month for his annual men's golf trip!! Some of our DF's live in Columbia!!! GEAUX TIGERS!!

Shannon

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Luvnola,

Pat on your backs for a superb transformation, and even more impressively done on such a good budget!

Glad you cleared up the pic issue, cuz you had me rubbing my eyes and cleaning my glasses, and thinking I was losing it, for awhile!

• luvnola
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bestyears - Thank you so much for the compliment. I will take a few close up photos of the floor this weekend along with the counters and will double check the color and manufacturer. I purchased the tile at a Bargain Supply store here for 89 cents a square foot. Everyone likes different elements of my kitchen, but universally the one thing everyone LOVES is the floor! I liked it immediately when I saw it and the price was definitely right, but I thought others may not care for it as it has a good amount of contrast. Clearly I was off base there!

Louisianapurchase - I too enjoy speaking with people from home. I miss my beloved NOLA. My family have 6 pairs of season tickets and make it to every home game and 2 away games a year. I haven't decided at this point which one I will attend other than the obvious USC here in S.C. but once fall hits I'll give you a shout. My family has tamed a bit in the tailgaiting (it use to be obnoxious) and now only make a spread a couple of times a year behind the Assembly Center. The remainder of the games they head to Sorentos for cold beer and music then hit everyone's elses tailgait. Hope your DH enjoys his golf trip. We are in FABULOUS golfing territory. We actually live a little North of Columbia in Greenville SC. We have come to Love our little community as it is not only beautiful but VERY family oriented which is important since we have two DS's 6 & 7.

• msrose
    15 years ago

Allison - The weird thing is it shows luvnola's link in my browser, not yours, but yet I'm still getting your pictures. I looked at your pictures after you posted on the "masculine" post, so it's like I automatically get your pictures when I go back to shutterfly now. Really strange.

Laurie

• msrose
    15 years ago

okay, I deleted my cookies and now I can see it! It was definitely worth the trouble. It's beautiful luvnola.

Laurie

• vwhippiechick
    15 years ago

What a wonderful job you did with your kitchen. The pavers are great. I will check out your supplier. I am still on the hunt for a great backsplash. DIY is definitely a lot of work but when it turns out well it is so worth it. You must be really proud. We went the DIY route and our budget was very close to yours. It did feel pretty overwhelming at times but you are so right it can be done. We also did a whole lot of comparison shopping both locally and online, researching and thank goodness I found GW before we got too far into it. Your kitchen has such great personality and pizazz. The copper counters are an eyecatcher - how are they wearing? How is the upkeep on them. Copper is probably the only surface we didn't consider when making that choice. Yours look fantastic. Congratulations and hope you get to enjoy it for many years. I am sure you have encouraged and inspired many with your pics.

• luvnola
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey folks -

A few uupdates and by request a few close up photos of counters and floors:

Bestyears - my floors are glazed porcelin in Indian Multi; Series II in 18x18 layed on a diagnal

Neesie - I hav attached close ups of the counters for you!

vwhippiechick - Unfortunatley I cannot take credit for any of the work. My husband and I are not DIYers so we subbed out our work and acted as the GC. Your kitchen is magnificent and I know when you find your backsplash it will be equally amazing! You are a true inspiration. The copper is holding up beautifully. I love the way it tells me a story each day. The upkeep is VERY easy. I just wipe down with a sponge from soapy water. I love an old aged look which is one of the reason I chose copper. So far it has not disappointed. We get many compliments from those who see it for the first time. So many tried to talk me out of it (including DH) but now everyone loves it and are very happy I stuck to my guns. Most of all me:)

I hope I have answered everyones question. If I have left anyone out, I apologize just give me a reminder and I'll do my best to get you answers!

Here is a link that might be useful: close up of counters and floor

• vwhippiechick
    15 years ago

I wanted to see your before and after pics again but when I tried the link it just gave me the counter and floor pics?? I would love to check out your original post pics again if you can repost the link. Your counters are aging beautifully with the perfect patina of use!!

• luvnola
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey vwhippiechick -

Did you try clicking on the link from my original post? I attached just the close up photos on a seperate link so nessie and bestyears would not have to go through all of the before and after photos again. My original post link works on my end. If you still can't view let me know and I'll be happy to email you the link if you would like.

I have been oogling over a couple of photos of your kitchen from another post and can't wait to see your finished post (or did I miss it somehow?) It's magnificent and I am awaiting details with baited breathe!

• tanders
    15 years ago

Great job! The counters are just yummy! May I ask what sink you have? Thanks. Enjoy your kitchen!

• luvnola
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks tanders!

The sink is a Thermocast 10 inch deep bowls from Home Depot. I absolutely LOVE it! Many don't care for a double bowl, but for my flow of life it works best for me. Both bowls are huge and with the tall faucet (Pegasus - which I also love) I have plenty of room for my very large pots. It always looks nice and is a breeze to keep clean.

• tanders
    15 years ago

I love double bowls as well. I like how this sink stands up against your counters. Is it actually cast iron, or some other material?

• luvnola
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's part cast iron part ceramic. It's suppose to be the "latest thing". It's as sturdy as cast iron and is glazed like ceramic. I find it is a bit more forgiving on dishes (if one happens to slip out of your hands) than is cast iron but doesn't seem to have the tendancy to chip like ceramic.

• vwhippiechick
    15 years ago

Luvnola I was able to link to the original photos this time. Not sure why I had the problem last time. Your kitchen transformation is amazing. I'm sorry I misunderstood your OP about DIY'ing. No matter how you got there the end product is wonderful. I keep procrastinating on posting "finished" pix of my kitchen. I would like to get the final touches in place but we have been so busy with our bathroom remodel and of course with spring in KY it is mowing season in a big way. I think DH uses the "mowing thing" to get a break from the "house things" ;-P Can't say that I blame him, it's been a long process, especially if you count the dreaming/planning phase. Love your kitchen, thanks for posting!!

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

What an amazing transformation! Love the white cabs with the brick backsplash. Your faucet and lighting choices are perfection, too. Congratulations on a really wonderful reno!