Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abigail_mb

Pental (formally Chroma) Quartz Countertops in Lattice

abigail_mb
9 years ago

Hello,
This is my first post! I have been reading lots of kitchen counter threads and many I could've written myself...obsessing- marble or quartz? If quartz, which one? Up at night about it...dreaming about it etc.!! We bought a new house and are doing a facelift on the kitchen. Painting cabinets white, white subway tile back splash, new appliances.
Anyway, I am about 95% settled on sticking with quartz rather than marble. I did a consult with Maria Killam who spec'd Ceasarstone Nougat, but I have decided I don't want that chunked up quartz look, I really want the veined look. Right now it is between:
Cambria Torquay
Ceasarstone Frosty Carrina
Pental Lattice

The Frosty Carrina may be a little too creamy for me and it is obnoxiously more expensive than the other ceasarstones that I was looking at which on principal alone annoys me.

I really like the fairly clear background on the Lattice- doesn't have the "speckles" like the Torquay. My only hesitation is that it looks like some of the veins have green in them, and I don't know how I feel about that.

Does anyone have Lattice?? Do you really notice the green??

Thank you so much for reading!!
Abby

Comments (36)

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

You didn't mention it but White Lightening from Pompeii might be a good option. It's the front sample in this photo. It's not as creamy as this photo makes it look, it's more white.

• abigail_mb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! That looks beautiful but I think the veining is a little darker than I am looking for!

• ainelane
    9 years ago

Hi abigail_mb,
    I'm pretty much just where you are with the quartz decision. I'm going with Pental Lattice. As soon as I laid eyes on the sample I knew I loved it! It doesn't have any of that weird speckled quartz look. The Torquay (which was my 1st choice until I saw Lattice) is VERY speckled and kind of "manufactured" looking to me when compared to the Lattice. The Lattice also just has this softness about it that I love. I think it will be very easy to live with.

You're right that the veins appear to have a slight green cast to them. I'm not worried about it at all, in fact I much prefer that to most of the veins which look blueish to me. I'm going with BM Simply White on my cabinets and I've been told that that particular color of white goes very well with green, so I think it will be fine. It sounds like your kitchen will be an all white one - do you think the green will clash with something?

By the way - I also had a consult with Maria Killam and she spec'd Nougat or Torquay for me. The other one I considered was Silestone Lyra, but it's a bit busy and ridiculously more expensive than the Torquay.
    And just in case you're in Canada (since you're a client of Maria's!), you should know that Pental is also sold here under the brand Vicostone. Apparently it's cheaper, I'm just in the midst of getting a quote.

• sixkeys
    9 years ago

I am considering Lattice, instead of my original plan of London Grey. I saw a slab of the Lattice and I didn't notice a green tint (although the lighting in the warehouse wasn't great). I like how subtle the Lattice is, and there are no speckles - hooray!

I need to look again at the slab, because a green tint makes me a bit nervous. They also have a nice Carrara option. It looked nearly identical to the Lattice, but it was slightly more grey.

• abigail_mb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the replies! AineLane- the problem is that the main floor in our new house (where we are doing the renovations) is a totally open floor plan, and there is quite a bit of red birch- including the island base which we will not be painting (at Maria's suggestion believe it or not!) I think the tiny bit of green in the veins won't be a problem but am obsessed with trying to read the undertone of Lattice.
    Here is a picture of my Toquay and Lattice samples on top of the pure white corian in my current house. Unforutnaley it is night time here so there isn't any natural light- my flash didn't go but I had all my overhead lights on. I am with both you and Rebecca3142- really like the lack of speckles and think it looks much more natural than the Torquay...BUT when you put them next to each other the Torquay definitely has a brighter white to it which I like. I put the red toy next to this since supposedly red will help us see if there is an overall green undertone?? I'm really not seeing it, but it overall definitley looks duller/darker/greyer next to the Torquay.
    The smaller samples in the back are Nougat and Frosty Carrina. I have ruled both of those out.
    I live in Massachusetts and the Lattice is the same cost as Carrera marble- just a little less than Nougat- quite a bit less than the Torquay. The Pental Lattice is made in Vietnam and has a 15 year warranty and the Cambria Torquay is made in USA with a lifetime warranty. However, without any of that entering into the equation, I do kind of think the Lattice really is just prettier, and the price isn't different enough to sway decision process. Ugh, this is SO hard!!

• sixkeys
    9 years ago

Oh, that seems like a tough decision! Have you considered a more grey approach like the London Grey Ceasarstone or the Cararra Pental? There is also the very dramatic Calacatta Pental. The white parts seemed pretty white to me, but overall it is a very bold choice.

Or you could go Organic White, but that doesn't have any marble quality to it.

• cdpettiette
    9 years ago

@Christina222 what is that sample behind the Pompeii in the picture you posted? Its beautiful!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Abigail_mb, Which counter did you end up with and do you have any pictures?

• mysteryparrot
    9 years ago

I'm considering Pental Lattice. I love how it looked in the sample I received but in a bigger slab, it looks a bit more like some cell formation under a microscope rather than veins. If anyone has it in their kitchen, I'd love to see a pic of the whole slab. Here's the pic I'm referring to from Houzz.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pental Lattice Countertop

• sixkeys
    9 years ago

The island in that picture is NOT Pental Lattice. The description is confusing, but it is actually something called Calacatta Apuano marble. The perimeter countertops in that kitchen are Pental Lattice and are not pictured very well. Lattice is a pretty subtle pattern, very similar to their Cararra.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I would also like to see the Pental Lattice in a finished kitchen with a close-up picture and a picture not so close.

• cubby325
    9 years ago

I am seriously considering Pental lattice, but I'm stumped for wall color. I've found a few that would work, Ben Moore pale oak, classic gray, but I really want to stay very light and warm in a 25' long kitchen with a large double window in the eating area only. I need lights on in the work area any time of day. I'm so afraid of using the grays with so little light in the room (west facing room). I live in the northeast. Anything creamy looks terrible with this countertop. Thanks.

• cubby325
    9 years ago

Forgot to mention - I'm stuck with cabinets in natural maple, and I'm trying to make the best of them, so the whites and pale grays look as good as anything.

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

Way prefer the pental latice, from the pics you've posted. I can only see the most subtle green undertone. If you hadn't have mentioned it, I wouldn't have seen it.

If you paint your walls a grey that has a green undertone (like BM halo or november rain maybe?) , I'm sure the counter won't look green. It'll just look off white.

• cubby325
    9 years ago

Hydragea, Thanks for the input on the green undertones. I had been considering some of those as well. I must be careful, though, as my trim reads white, but it is really a bone white. I tried a sample of the halo as well as the seapearl (very close to the gray ground in the lattice), and both of those colors make my trim look yellow. I need a bit more contrast. Interestingly, I also looked at camouflage. If I wanted more green, that would fit with the rest of my house very well. Tonight I brought home samples of Ashwood and Hazy Skies, OC-47 and OC-48, both with green undertones. I will paint them on poster board to get a better feel. I may paint up a large sample of Camouflage as well. I think the Hazy Skies will be too dark for my room, with little natural light, but if I want to paint those natural maple cabinets, I think it would be a good color.

• phillyfeet
    9 years ago

cubby325-
    I just had pale oak painted in our guest room and i do love it, but i wanted to suggest Grey Owl if you are considering something with green. We have it in our kitchen now (with cream cabinets) and it definitely reads as a pale pretty green undertone. Just a thought.

• cubby325
    9 years ago

Gray owl is pretty but a bit blue in my low light. Right now ashwood is in the lead. I am going to get a sample of November Rain today as Hydragea suggested. That may be too light for my creamy white wood trim. Halo made the trim look yellow, as do many of the light colors which do not provide enough contrast.

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

How important is the trim? If you don't seem much of it, maybe it's not that important to get a great match to it.
    There's also the option of painting the trim.
    Or, in your low-light situation, perhaps trying a warmer counter might be the ticket. It's hard to know, but these are all options.

• cubby325
    9 years ago

Hydragea,
    Originally I wanted a warmer counter top - it would just work better with my entire house. I had considered Cambria cuddington which is a creamy with some tiny orange specks, not enough to make it look orange, just warm it up. It has a lot of life to it. It is more expensive than the Pental by about $1,200, and I don't think it looks great with the natural maple. I did see that Cambria in a Marriott breakfast room, and I thought it looked beautiful.

Right now, I'm thinking the Pental would provide enough contrast with the natural maple, the ashwood (griege with green undertones) looks good with the cabinets and countertop, and also with the rest of my house. I also have an open floor plan. Although the trim is bone white, it reads white until you get some of the palest tints next to it. If I started to paint, I'd have to do the entire first floor, and the house is only six years old.

I may consider painting my cabinets in the future. The ashwood would actually make a great cabinet color for the Pental, then I'd have to rethink the walls yet again for more contrast. I wouldn't mind ballet white on the walls with a painted cabinet, but it looks a bit creamy next to the Pental sample. Interestingly, all of these paint colors look creamier when the sample sits horizontally. Holding them vertically or taping them to the wall, it brings out more gray.

• Alexander Timofeyev
    9 years ago

Did any of you end up going with the Pental Quartz Lattice / Vicostone Carrara, and if so how do you like it?

Our KD just suggested it as a cheaper alternative to the Ceaserstone Frosty Carrina that we were looking at. The Pental Quartz about $2600 less, so that's certainly in its favor, I just don't know how it compares to Ceasarstone for durability.

• bthbtn
    8 years ago

Does anyone have a Pental Lattice countertop? Send pictures! Deciding between that and Caesarstone Frosty Carrina. Thank you!

• User
    8 years ago

Hi- Just noticed this thread and I'm wondering how anyone who ended up with Pental Lattice likes it?? Did you put an edge on it? How's it holding up? Planning on using it in a bathroom. Pictures would be awesome! Thanks :)

• chicago303
    7 years ago

Am also considering pental lattice - can anyone share approximately what a slab would cost?

• Alexander Timofeyev
    7 years ago

It partially depends on your area. For our kitchen, we needed two slabs and it would cost ~$7,500 for the Pental Lattice, and ~$10,000 for the Ceasarstone Frosty Carrina.

We got a chance to see a whole slab of Pental Lattice and we didn't like it. We liked the small samples, but the whole slab had way too much going on with huge, ugly veins, and looked a lot more grey.

We went with the Frosty Carrina and couldn't be happier. It looks gorgeous, with very subtle veining. People often mistake it for marble.

• chicago303
    7 years ago

I am hoping those numbers include fabrication costs?

• beckh
    7 years ago

We love our Pental Lattice! It is fresh and clean looking. With very subtle veining and a clean background, it is something we will not tire of easily. Ours were $1200 per slab. All others we looked at were much more gray and had speckles or muddy looking backgrounds.

• Alexander Timofeyev
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Those numbers are the total cost to have the 3cm countertops sourced, templated and installed here in South Jersey, including a standard 1/16 eased edge, sink and cooktop cutouts, and the sink mounted underneath.

I don't know how much the slabs would be on their own.

It was actually $10,600 for the two slabs of Frosty Carrina installed, $8,000 if we had gone with the Lattice.

• chicago303
    7 years ago

Thank you beckh - am looking at doing two bathrooms - might you be able to share what fabrication costs were? I went to Pental showroom but they wouldn't give me a price per slab nor est fabrication costs - and told me I had to contact a fabricator to get this information. Am trying to put a budget together and have no idea what the cost of fabrication is approximately.

• beckh
    7 years ago

We purchased 3 slabs for our kitchen. The total fabrication cost was $3200. I would check with a fabricator in your area, as prices vary. I imagine it would be much less for two bathrooms.

• Sonya Lunder
    5 years ago

We are going with Lattice too. Anyone have tips on a white for the walls? We have a large kitchen/dining room, and will be painting the adjacent living room the same color. We lean toward warmer rather than cooler colors and have gorgeous europly cabinets with either ply or warm grey fronts.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

sonyala:

By the looks of 'em, I think I'd fire that crew ^.

• cubby325
    5 years ago

Sonyala,

I was looking at the Lattice as well. As I recall, it had a slight green undertone. Take the sample to look for backsplash tile, and it will become obvious to you when you compare it to pure white tile for the backsplash. I thought the best backsplash for that countertop was a marble. Many of the Benjamin Moore colors in the 1400's and 1500's would look good for a wall color, depending on whether you want light or dark. I'm not a professional, but I would definitely avoid colors with cooler undertones.

• Alexander Timofeyev
    5 years ago

Joseph Corlett, why is that?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

It was a joke.

• Sonya Lunder
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone! I am realizing the perils of home design. my floors have a redish tint, europly is gold and we picked counters with green undertones. a total rainbow! I'm thinking of going with a completely neutral white.