Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dckitchen13

Seating area against a wall, rather than on an island?

DCkitchen13
10 years ago

Good morning! We are wrapping up our kitchen remodel but are still nailing down one corner of the room. We are making one 4-foot stretch of countertop, which ends in a corner, into a place where our kids can sit and eat or do homework. Our kitchen is a shade too small to comfortably accommodate an island or peninsula. So I'm trying to figure out the best use of the space. Right now, the plan is to put in 12-inch cabs underneath and have the counters hang over by 13 inches. (I know, many people like a bigger overhang. But that's all our room will allow.) Diners will face the wall. The 12-inch cabs will not be terribly accessible, I know, so I figure we can store rarely-used items down there.

My questions: Does anyone have a similar-sounding eat-in area? If so, I would love to see pics. Also, would it make more sense to just build a desk-like frame for the counter, instead of having the cabs underneath? And last: the rest of our counters will be dark-gray Caesarstone. Would it look weird to have this one section be butcherblock?

Thank you for all your wise advice.

Comments (8)