Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justmakeit

A little bit of sneak preview

justmakeit
11 years ago

As I posted a few days ago, I went on vacation while the contractor was working, and I came home to a more finished kitchen than I left. Still not finished by a long shot, but getting there. As I type this, the guys are doing some finishing work -- baseboards, finishing the floating shelves -- and tomorrow the electrician and plumber are coming. Until we get a few more of the appliances up and running, I'm toiling away in my basement temp kitchen. Still practicing that whole patience thing :-)

Comments (50)

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Oh, it's beautiful! That tile is perfect with your choices. What I can see of the floor looks great too! What does the LEDs do to the color? How does it feel to walk on?

So excited for you! Looking forward to the finished pics. No more angst!

• justmakeit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Ellen! I need to take a better photo of the floor for you. The light is best in the a.m., so maybe I can get that for you now, depending on what the guys are doing in there, lol. The floor has a sort of blue-green tint to it, but under the LED lights it changes to entirely brown. I don't mind, but it shocked me the first time I saw it. It's a dream to walk on!

No more angst, lol.

• finestra
    11 years ago

It's beautiful! I love your tile. Such a sleek, elegant design. Enjoy!

• cluelessincolorado
    11 years ago

Be still my heart! Love this!!!

• ott2
    11 years ago

Nice! Can you sneak in a little info on your sink choice?

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen. The soapstone and backsplash look great together and I really like the way you off-set the sink. Great idea.

Now, does your stove really have blue knobs or is that a protective film on them? If it's a protective film I think stoves should be made with blue knobs.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

Beautiful! What a treat to come home to this space. I really like the fridge/counter/MW configuration.

Another GW member was looking for a similar faucet--I'm going to send her a link to your pics. Thank you for the preview.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

LOVE it so far!

Can't wait to see it completed!!!!

• plumberry
    11 years ago

can you share what the floor is? very nice kitchen!

• justmakeit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, friends! I'm so glad you like how it's turning out. Here are answers to a couple questions:

Ott2 -- I was so picky about the sink that it turned out not to exist. So my KD had it made for me by a stainless steel guy. It was not nearly as pricey as I expected (but not cheap either). If you don't mind the small bowl being on the right, it can be found. The large bowl is 21" and the small bowl is 9". Let me know if you want me to look up the small-bowl-on-right sinks I found. Even those took a bit of hunting.

blfenton -- those are, in fact, blue knobs! Oh, and the counters are a soapstone wannabe -- they're a quartzite called ocean stone, and seem to be really durable (at least, from what I could tell by punishing the samples).

plumberry -- the floor is glue-down cork. Very comfortable.

• lafacia
    11 years ago

It's really perfect! Love it! Who makes the range with those wonderful knobs. Something new for me to obsess over. I love them!

• whit461
    11 years ago

Thanks for the preview. WOW. Having just gone through cabinet pull anxiety, I noticed your long pulls like a lot like what I ordered this morning. Are they Princetonians? Thanks

• smiling
    11 years ago

Just love it! Even in its still unfinished state, you can see how beautiful it is, and how functional. Love the window! Love the stove and backsplash, Love the fridge wall, too. What a nice thing to come home to!

• ott2
    11 years ago

Thanks justmakeit. It seems as though you really did "just make it"! I specifically either want a larger single, or a large with smaller to the left, so yours caught my eye.
    Your kitchen is looking very happy. Congrats! I am looking forward to the big reveal. Ott2

• Kristen Hallock
    11 years ago

What kind of soapstone is that? Have you oiled it or done anything to the top yet? Is it a hard soapstone or one that is softer?

I keep thinking about soapstone and then deciding I dont want it, but then I see some pictures and decide it love it again!

• Gooster
    11 years ago

Everything is turning out so beautifully!

Especially love the Ocean Stone quartzite. It's too bad we don't have any of that around here, I would have been all over that one.

I admire your use of the turquoise knobs on the BS range. I can only imagine you'll be using that color elsewhere as well. Just a nice, unexpected way to inject in color.

What is the backsplash tile?

• scrappy25
    11 years ago

Wowee. Can you share how you did that window bumpout, and show us the outside?

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

wow! this is going to be one beautiful reveal! cannot wait!

• justmakeit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lafacia -- the stove is a Bluestar. I can't weigh in on the function of it, since it's not installed yet, but you can get both the stove and the knobs in 190 different colors. A dizzying number! Normally getting a color other than stainless is $300, but if you can find a Bluestar rep to give you a spiel at an appliance store, they often waive the extra cost. The blue knobs are a step down from the full turquoise range I wasn't brave enough to order.

Whit461 -- good eye! They are Princetonians. My husband and I used to live in Princeton, but I liked them independent of that.

khallock -- looks like soapstone, but it's really a honed quartzite called Ocean Stone. Nothing done to it but sealing, which did not change the color. I'll tell you how it's holding up in a few weeks after I've banged around in the kitchen a bit.

gooster -- thanks! The backsplash tile is a sunflower mosaic in ming green marble and thassos. Mpagmom also used it to beautiful effect, and I shamelessly stole the idea for mine. Also, after the KD saw the range knobs, he said, "I'm hoping you have some kitchen accessories to pick up that color" -- which I heard as a direct order to go shopping, lol.

scrappy25 -- We used to have one small window in the back of the house. Right after the kitchen was demo'd, the GC opened a gigantic hole in the back wall and built a box to hold the window. I don't have good photos of the outside yet because it isn't finished out there, but I'll try to remember to post a few with the finished kitchen ... if we ever get there. Don't know if this answered your question.

Thanks so much, everyone.

• lincolnduncan
    11 years ago

Beautiful!!! Can I ask you a question? We are getting that range and a Bluestar wall oven and I can't decide if I should put a microwave over it since it won't be the same brand. I'm worried that the stainless steels won't match. Do you have a visible microwave and if you do, which brand? Thx

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Love the quartz counter and the tile.

• taggie
    11 years ago

Wow!! Love the backsplash! And the range with the sexy blue knobs! And that totally awesome sink! And the counters! And, well, the whole entire thing...

You must be over the moon happy. Congrats!!

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

looking fabulous! Love the tile!

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

Can't wait to see more!

As a rule I think tile B/S are not appealing, but yours is absolutely stunning!

L.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

ouch

I just hurt my chin when it hit the floor.

FAHHBULOUSSSSSS

• murpharoo
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!!! Love the huge window!!

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

That is awesome, beautiful, well-planned, and on and on. The BS - I am speechless. Enjoy!

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Ohh your kitchen looks incredible. Love your stone, your tile, your window and your shelving and of course those turquoise knobs. Looks like you have lights recessed into those floating shelves. Great idea. Congratulations on your new space.

• dljmth
    11 years ago

Wow! Beautiful! Having sink envy. You have exactly what I wanted and couldn't find. Didn't even occur to me to see about getting one custom made. Maybe next kitchen :)

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

Only I know how much more beautiful the backsplash is in real life. I love your quartzite and turquoise knobs, too! Can't wait to see your finished kitchen.

• homebuyer23
    11 years ago

Hi,
    It looks amazing! I love the tile and the counters, wow.

Gotta ask, have you been belly flopping that window much?! Now that the counters are in, would you say its still not an issue to open? I'm still nervous about ours...

Congrats so far, I can't wait to see your final reveal, you have great taste!

• brewgirl
    11 years ago

The tile is gorgeous! I love the blue knobs as well. Really just stunning.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Backsplash ! Counters !! :)

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Gimme more..

Love those windows and the floating shelves!

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Love the backsplash and floating shelves! You must have been thrilled when you walked in the door. Congrats!

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

Love it! The tile is amazing and really individualizes the space. Can't wait to see it 100% done because it's already looking great!!

• Ivan I
    11 years ago

Wow. That is the most beautiful backsplash with soapstone combo I've ever seen.

Also love how the counter-cab-floor movement is color-white-color, where the 2 colors are dreamy shades of each other. (at least that's what I see from squinting at your floor saying what the heck is that? ) My first guess was going to be marmoleum. Was the cork a custom color?

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Wow - that is incredible - I am still catching flies with my mouth hanging wide open!
    Great job.
    BTW - Is that the Waterstone PLP faucet?
    Everything is looking wonderful! I can't believe you even have your backsplash installed!
    Congratulations and looking for more pictures of this stunning kitchen.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Your tile wall is gorgeous and the BLUE FRIDGE! I know, I know, it's the sticky cover stuff. But, it looks good blue! Especially with your blue knobs. Those are neat looking... like big chunks of turquoise. Need to hang some puka shells in there now.... put on some Steve Miller.... I'm in High School again.

Sorry, been up all night...

Your kitchen IS looking really good.

• justmakeit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lincolnduncan -- so sorry, I don't have the microwave yet. Will be getting a countertop model to go on a shelf, but can't help out much with the SS matching dilemma. FWIW, the stove goes fine with the other stainless appliances I have: Bosch dishwasher, Liebherr fridge. But of course, it's not right under them as your wall oven will be.

laurat88 -I don't understand why this sink isn't made -- seems as though there are lots of us who want it!

homebuyer23 -- I laughed at you remembering about my bellyflops. Here's what I'm trying: I ordered a "window wand" yesterday, which is normally used to open clerestory windows high up. I'll see if it's easy to use and let you know. Here's the url: http://windowwand.net/id2.html. Maybe this will save my belly :-)

MareLuce -- the cork is not a custom color. It's a little hard to pin down. It's called "azure", and in daylight it's has a blue-green cast to it that goes with the countertop. Under the LED lights, it becomes Mr. Hyde and turns completely brown. I'm glad you noticed the "color-white-color" thing, which is what I wanted!

a2gemini -- Good eye! Yes, a WS faucet, which I got largely based on your enthusiastic postings about yours. It has a tiny leak from behind the rubber spray controls, but GC says this will be easily fixed. It is a thing of beauty, and certainly makes its presence felt on the window run!

deedles -- oh no, will I have to start wearing my hair in a side ponytail when I'm in the kitchen? Shoot, and I was hoping the knobs would read "totally cool" and not "unbearably nostalgic".

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Justmakeit- yes that is the same problem we are having. Talk to Waterstone on the fix for the problem or let me know if your GC solves the problem. Let WS know that we communicated- they know me by now.
    I referred to it as it is drooling and sent pictures and a video.
    It is not major but they want it to be right!

• noopd
    11 years ago

love the tiles!

• enduring
    11 years ago

JUST WONDERFUL

• Ivan I
    11 years ago

JustMakeIt, we shall need lots more pics! :-)

• function_first
    11 years ago

omg! That tile!!! What a beautiful wall and stunning kitchen. I just keep scrolling back to that tile...... wow.

• shannonplus2
    11 years ago

Love it! I am so diggin' on that faucet.

I like all the little details - like the horizontal outlets in the backsplash. Did you decide on the height of them due to Code? Or is that just a nice symmetrical spot to place them? (it is!)

I love the Liebherr fridge too. What a beautiful kitchen you have!

• ne_flyingdiver
    11 years ago

A Liebherr fridge!! I saw one last week and searched for reviews. They seemed mixed, mainly about ice try breaking. I sure do like it though.
    Great job on kitchen.

• prill
    11 years ago

Wow - beautiful. Love the backsplash and I would have sworn your counter was soapstone. Lovely. Is the floor a sheet cork or tiles? I still want a cork floor but I'm afraid of how it will hold up.

Can't wait to see more.

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Awesome! Love the backsplash! Can't wait to see the finished kitchen!

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

I can't remember if I already posted, but I just have to say that I love the backsplash - looks amazing!! Congrats!