Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I fill up the drawers before the counters are installed?

Posted by wi-sailorgirl (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 10:46

The cabinet frames have been repainted (and look great) and I'm so excited to start filling things up. There is no reason why I can't fill the base cabinets before the countertops are installed is there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I fill up the drawers before the counters are installed?

Not in my world... go for it!

o

Sorry to disagree, but the stuff in the drawers will get dusty. Better to wait. Hang in there you have waited so long, what's another 2 weeks.

o

I agree with Localeater. Counter installation is dusty.

o

Best to wait until the tops are installed. There's going to be a certain amount of dust/mess. Plus the installers may need to get into the cabinets to install the top. Its best for everyone if you wait just a bit.

o

Ugh. You guys are killing me! It's actually only until Wednesday. I didn't realize the dust factor. And here I thought I had vacuumed out those cabinets for the last time!

Maybe I'll just sneak a few things in to satisfy the urge and either remove those drawers or cover them for the countertop install.

This post was edited by wi-sailorgirl on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 11:30

o

I remember reading a post that suggested you remove the actual drawers, if you have glides and if you are having granite countertops installed. Apparently some folks have had granite dust get into the glides, creating a problem.

o

I filled mine as template to countertops turned into a month- but ours were quartz. I went ballistic on the avalanche delay and filled the lower drawers at least. It made such a difference mentally for me. I covered items with towels as a precaution.
As I had time, I did take everything out of one drawer at a time and checked for dust etc and added drawer liners to heavy pot and china drawers. There really wasn't any dust that I found.
So, if you can wait-great but if not it is possible :-)

o

I'll have a 3-week delay between cabinet and counter installation. Since I'm already dreaming about putting things away in my new kitchen, having to wait those three weeks would probably kill me. I hadn't thought about dust.

Hopefully I'll be able to take the drawers out and stack them in the living room (there aren't that many).

Thanks for bringing it up, sailorgirl, and I can't wait to see pics when yours is finished!

o

When I had my countertops installed there was no dust at all. They did not need to do any grinding, polishing or adjustments on site. Basically they brought the counters in set them on the cabinets, adhered them and they were good to go with a perfect tight fit. I had things in my cabinets and drawers. The sink base was empty and if I recall correctly I left the top drawers empty just in case. They may have taken the top drawers out, I don't remember but there was no mess involved in the process.

o

bump

o

I've had contractors and countertop fabricators express irritation when clients have moved stuff into the cabinets before the countertops were installed or other details completed.

o

Both GC and counter folks were OK in my case - good idea to check.
I even volunteered to remove items - but they said they were good to go!

o

My fabricators said no problem filling the drawers. They just advised we lay a dish towel over the top drawer contents. They drilled the faucet holes but used a vacuum, so it was very clean. So ask your fabricator what they prefer.

o

You also may want to give the paint on your frames as much time to cure as possible before 'using' the kitchen too much. Are the faces off the drawers etc. also being repainted? This was the kitchen with the mis-matched Cloud Whites right?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here