Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandhyasinghal

Newbee Here, please help and suggest granite color

sandhyasinghal
12 years ago

Dear Members,

Our's is a 90s kitchen with oak cabinets and laminate counters. We updated the appliances last year and floor is gray tile that was put in by last owners and is in perfect shape. So we just want to change the counters to granite, yay :-) I am so excited but then we are unable to pick a color. We will be going to slab yard tomorrow and I need your help to have an idea in mind on what exactly I should be looking at considering the gray floor and oak cabinets. I have been looking at granites with lot of movement, which we like but are unsure if they will work well with our cabinets. I don't want to go for the black granite.

Appreciate your comments.

Comments (49)

• sandhyasinghal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

also wanted to add that we will be changing the wall color and the cabinet hardware!

• cakelly1226
    12 years ago

Our granite would pick up a lot of the colors in your kitchen- it is called Colonial Cream. It is off white with grey and light brown rivers. There is also some brown spots. Not a very busy granite but very soothing.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• sandhyasinghal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is a lovely granite. I am wondering though if it would work in our space...please pardon my ignorance in these matters!

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

My granite is Persa Avorio. It reads gray but has tan/gold in it. We have natural maple cabinets but I think It would look nice with oak as well. Strongly suggest you take one of your doors with you when you shop
    for your slab. God luck!

• sandhyasinghal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you joaniepoanie , yes I am planning to take a cabinet door as well as a floor tile with me when we go slab hunting!
    Your granite looks beautiful....and the faucet too! :-)
    I am having a hard time thinking what color granites would work with my space!

• sandhyasinghal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

here is another picture for the perspective, though the floor is not blue as it looks in the picture...its gray...

• likewhatyoudo
    12 years ago

With your gray tile floors I think a black granite would look nice and change your door hardware to black or oil rubbed bronze.

I recently sold a house with similar finishes to your home. It had wood floors not tile. Kitchen with New Venetian gold granite.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

You also have the brick and beams to take into account which gives a slightly more natural vibe. It's going to look lovely with the granite. Something like Lady Dream would work great I think. Different yards have similar slabs with different names so most often going with a name in mind could be like a wild goose chase.

• springroz
    12 years ago

Look into Galaxy White. It has both gray and brown, with some black. It looked good with the medium oak, too.

• sandhyasinghal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, I didn't know that every slab yard would have different names :-(
    now that's going to be a challenge!!
    Thank you....as you said we need to keep the beam and the brick wall into mind....does that mean staying in the gold family.....would be better?
    I am trying to understand and get guidance on what color to avoid to be able to play down the oak and still make it look good with the whole scheme.

• gone_south
    12 years ago

We found a lovely serene green/gray granite with some movement and reflective golden bits that would tie in your floor and appliances and complement the existing cabinets. It was called Nambi. Here's a pic I found online.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

You may find some inspiration in the"Design around golden oak" thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Design around golden oak

• sandhyasinghal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for all the suggestion, we went to the yard yesterday and liked one granite called Coral Gold/ Sandalwood
    Pls share your opinion about it, here's a picture

• sandhyasinghal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The other one we liked Venetian Gold(picture below) We are getting drawn towards the sandalwood. Please help us decide.

• badgergal
    12 years ago

My vote is for the sandalwood. It looks like it coordinates well with the floor. It should look great with a different wall color.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I think the New Venetian Gold is too busy with your cabinets. The oak cabinets are a very busy grain. I like the first one better. JMHO

• sandhyasinghal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We liked the sandalwood too, so that's 3 votes for it!!!

• kellysar
    12 years ago

I vote for the Coral Gold/Sandlewood, also; I think it goes better with the floor. (But I'm prejudiced because that's the granite I picked for my kitchen).

• anrol
    12 years ago

Hi singhal. I like the sandlewood too!

• sandhyasinghal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am getting more and more confident in this choice after hearing so many votes in favor of Coral gold :-)
    Kellysar, can I request a picture of your kitchen please? :-) Seeing it in a kitchen will help!
    Many Thanks!

• mpmg46
    12 years ago

Definitely sandalwood. Great job!

• kellysar
    12 years ago

Unfortunately I don't have my backsplash or floor done yet. But here are some pictures I took tonight with my cell. The pretty brown and beige crystals aren't really showing well in the pictures, especially the second pic.

• Brensters
    12 years ago

Hi, newbee here also. I've been working with granite for comming on 22 years and haven't seen a granite as lovely as the Sandalwood before.I vote for it! The Venetian Gold is quite common. The Sandalwood is exciting looking! Eye-candy every morning with your coffee!

• sandhyasinghal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kelysar, your kitchen is going to come out very very pretty! The granite looks so so yummy....thank you for sharing the pictures!!
    It seems like a no brainer choice now!

• SugarCookies
    12 years ago

Another vote for Sandalwood. I think it's going to look lovely with your other finishes and new wall color.

• sandhyasinghal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

we have told the fabricator we want the Coral gold/ Sandal wood but of course...the slabs are on hold for someone....until now we have found one and he is still hunting for the second one! After getting so many votes for it, I hope we are able to score it!

• kellysar
    12 years ago

Good luck with getting your slabs! (My fabricator got them at PMI in NJ, if you are in the area).

• cakelly1226
    12 years ago

Wait for that sandalwood- I feel like I see that Venetian gold everywhere in my area. I think you should always go to the one you are drawn to- you can't go wrong!

• sandhyasinghal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

we are in MA...we are waiting and hoping to get a hold released at Boston Granite exchange, while the fabricator is looking elsewhere also....fingers crossed!

• kellysar
    12 years ago

Hope you don't mind another pic, but I wasn't happy with the color in the pics I posted before. This is still from a cell, but I think it shows the colors a little better. (Did I say I like my stone?).

• sandhyasinghal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kellysar....I love seeing the pictures of your stone and very soon it's gonna be mine too...wooohooo!!
    It's lovely....my husband chose this stone and I was leaning towards others but I trust him more in such things and this forum proved that too :-)
    You have a beautiful kitchen coming up....after this counters, i will be hunting for paint colors that would marry my oak and this lovely stone together :-)

• kellysar
    12 years ago

Thanks, Singhal. And good luck with your granite and paint color - I'm sure your kitchen will look beautiful when you are done.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

I am late to the discussion but really like your sandalwood too.

I would wait for quite a while to see if one comes in. If you don't eventually get a second slab, I would look for another granite with some of the same colors. Alaskan White not surprisingly has a higher proportion of white, but the same blacks and silvery hues...well, at least the slabs I considered. Until I saw your sandalwood pix, that would have been my recommendation for you.

• sandhyasinghal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello colorfast, we got hold of the second slab as well ...yay!! Finally I can see granite in my kitchen...getting the template done Tuesday ...fingers crossed that things go well!
    Alaska White was another option we loved, it's a gorgeous stone, I loved the movement in it but when my husband saw this, he was head over heels in love with it and I followed along :-)

• kellysar
    12 years ago

Congratulations - so happy you found it!

• sandhyasinghal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, I will share pictures once its done...

• sandhyasinghal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

just an update that our Granite is going to be installed this Friday! Can't wait to see it in my kitchen!
    Kellysar, your backsplash is up yet?

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Congrats, singhal!
    Looking forward to pix!

• kellysar
    11 years ago

Singhal - I have not chosen my backsplash yet. I've been focusing on the hardwood floors and I'm very happy that I ordered them this week. Hope now to start looking for the backsplash. Looking forward to seeing pics of your granite!

• sandhyasinghal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My granite counters were installed today....thank you so much everyone for the suggestions :-)
    Here's a peek at my kitchen. We still have to plumb the sink and the faucet...they are modeling for the picture at the moment :-), still have to do the backsplash, paint and the hardware update. Suggestions are requested!

And here's the before

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

That Looks Great!!!

It is so different than other stones typically seen with the oak cabinets.

Great job. Congrats!

• Ilene Perl
    11 years ago

Enjoy, it looks great!

• sandhyasinghal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you beekeeperswife....I was not really sure about it because I could not find one single oak kitchen with a stone like this but my husband was not ready to move away from it :-) and then everyone here voted for this one too which gave me courage to get in sync with my HD as I always do :-) and I am so happy with the outcome!!
    I am now wondering what kind of wall color will go well in the space....
    Thanks ilene-84....I love it :-)

• kellysar
    11 years ago

I'm glad you are so happy with your granite. It really looks beautiful. Enjoy!

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! So glad you went with your instincts!

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

What a beautiful stone! The colors with the cabinets and woodwork are perfect. Love that window..and the island...looks like you are ready to do some serious cooking!

• sandhyasinghal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the kind words...:-)
    I do need help for backsplash...!

• PRO
    Flodeal Private Limited
    11 years ago

you can use the Tan Brown granite which is from India and available in your country. This granite is a Tan / Brown color granite.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tan Brown Granite

• MrsShayne
    11 years ago

OMG!!!! I thought I was the only one with "ivory sukuri" granite!!! Now I know the other name this granite goes by - coral gold !!!!! LOL!!!!!!

Your kitchen looks great by the way. I ended up painting my oak cabinets but I too installed granite and put in a 4x8 simple backsplash. IMO, This granite is too busy to pull off anything else busy...

Check out my before and afters-

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog - b&a pics of kitchen remodel