Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katybugz

would you repaint?

katybugz
14 years ago

here is a photo of my kitchen (we are closing on this house next month):

/Users/katherine/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Mar 17, 2010/IMG_1036.JPG

i think the yellow is too lemony, but don't know how to go about choosing the right color. the rest of the house is nice earth tones, with most of the rest of the downstairs done in a taupe color. i think the sweet lemon yellow doesn't go very well. i would like something more classic and retro looking, but not too bright.

would love to hear ideas. thanks!

Comments (21)

• katybugz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hmm... having trouble pasting the photo...

• katybugz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

off to the test forum, hopefully will be back with a clue...

• katybugz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

geez, this is hard. forget it.

• morgne
    14 years ago

Katybugz,

It looks like you are trying to post a link to possibly your computer or phone. What you'll need to do is post the picture on the internet, say on "shutterbug" or one of the other free photo hosting site. Then post the link to that here.

Check the begginners thread that Buehl posts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beginners thread.

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

Read the thread-it tells you how to upload pics and post them here. It took me a long time to figure it out. Like you, I wanted to give up but kept at it. Once I figured it out, I was amazed at how easy it is!! First, open a free online account-like www.photobucket.com Then upload your photos to that account. Follow the instructions to post them here. With my mac I have a tab open in photobucket and one open in the kitchen forum. I select the pic I want to post here, click on the html code-yellow box reads "copied" Then I go to the kitchen forum to my message box in the post, hit view, then click paste and a bunch of letters/numbers appear in the message box. When you click on preview your picture should show up. Hope this helps!!

• katybugz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for the advice and for letting me know i'm not the single dolt that can't figure this out... here goes nothing:

hmm... the link works, but i was hoping to paste the image directly into the message. will go try again... meanwhile, if anyone has ideas, much appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• annkathryn
    14 years ago

Here you go.

Pretty kitchen! If you want to tone down the bright yellow but still stay yellowish, you could try Sherman-Williams Ivoire or Blonde.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I would repaint yes, not only is it too bright, as you said, it starts making the countertop, which is pretty neutral, look mauve-ish against it. (look in the right hand corner by the fridge).

If you are not sure how to go with it at first, you could simply match or blend with the adjacent space. Any yellow is going to be tough because it will tend to bring out the pink undertones in the countertop.

• debinnh
    14 years ago

I like it, sunny and cheerful. So I guess it is your call if it is too much for you before your first coffee....

• katybugz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wow, thank you! and thanks for your patience with a technically challenged newbie. :)

match or blend, as in going with a white or grayish shade? i'd love to use more color, i like how it looks with the bright white cabinets, but don't know how to avoid bringing out the pink undertones. what about a green or blue? shades?

• katybugz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bump... any other ideas for color for this kitchen?

• susanka
    13 years ago

Only to get many sample-size cans and put a large patch of each on the wall. We probably did 15 colors in getting our LR, kitchen, and bedroom the colors we wanted. Sherwin-Williams also has a good online color selector, as does BM and others too I'm sure.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

If you are going to repaint, prime it all before you sample, you will never getr a true reading of the new color when it is right over the old color.

Look at the taupes that go with both the countertop color and what you have in the rest of the house. An earthy pale green might work.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

It's hard to advise when we don't see what's in the adjoining/next rooms. I think you have a good eye to notice the yellow is wrong with the rest, so I think you can trust your gut. I think you could use any number of colors (almost any but yellow, because of the countertop), it's just choosing the right shade of whichever one you like that will be key...How much gray or brown in the mix to go with the other colors and work with the counter to make it look more rich and a part of the overall decor scheme, instead of something you're trying to 'put up with.'

• katybugz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the replies. i think i know enough to know the yellow is wrong, but not enough to know what would be right! i know some trial and error may be necessary, i just would like to go in with some ideas (we're moving into this house in june).

here is the next room, separated from the kitchen by an archway. so, not continuous from the kitchen/breakfast area, but visible through the arch. the rest of the house is more earthy, so that's part of why the cool lemon yellow felt wrong.

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

Change the countertops to something dark to ground the room, and the yellow won't look as "lemony" then.

• cawfeegirl
    13 years ago

Do you happen to know the name of the color in the top picture? I love it.

As far as your kitchen, Im gonna say that, yeah, that is def too yellow and would be WAY to hard on my eyes before my first cup!!

What about a nice grey-green?

I love the colors in the other rooms, though!

• katybugz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i don't know the names of the colors... we close on this house at the end of this month and didn't do any of the current decorating.

i'm liking the grey-green idea... thanks!

oh, and both photos above are of the same room, the light is just a little different i guess. you can see the yellow chair in both photos; so you can see how the sofa faces the fireplace/TV wall.

• rosiew
    13 years ago

I'd like to suggest Lilly Pad, a glorious light green by Benjamin Moore. In your last picture I saw a room in a similar green.

Rosie

• cawfeegirl
    13 years ago

The first picture looks like Shaker Beige (Ben Moore).
    Here are some popular greens by Ben Moore:

-Nantucket Grey
    -Kennebunkport Green
    -Louisburg Green
    -Saybrook Sage
    -Tree Moss
    -Cypruss Green
    -Weekend Getaway

Hope this helps!

• katybugz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks so much for these suggestions! i will go and check out the Benjamin Moore greens...