Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dining/kitchen table top . . .

Posted by seaswirl (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 10:37

Every kitchen table I've ever had has had a Formica top. It was always easy to take care and there were never any worries. Since we're reno-ing our Hurricane Sandy wrecked house, I've been looking at Amish made wood tables with wood tops. It dawned on me the other day that that might be a problem. If you have a wood top on your dining/kitchen table, how do you care for it, i.e., make sure you keep coffee cups and water glasses off of it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dining/kitchen table top . . .

I have been dealing with this very issue. We have just acquired a beautiful handmade table from DH's uncle, who is a master woodworker. It has a shiny finish that seems very scratchable. Right now, I have been keeping tablecloths on it, but I am going to order a tempered glass top for it. I want to enjoy its aesthetics (which include its beautiful MCM-inspired lines!!) and the beautiful inlay on the top, and tablecloths don't let me do that.

My only issue is that the corners of the table are slightly curved downward so I can't figure out where the glass should stop. That's the only reason I have not actually ordered the glass yet.

o

We don't worry about it.

If it has a good finish on it, it shouldn't have a problem with water rings.

The old shellac finishes will get white rings when they get wet. New finishes, not.

o

Seaswirl & Purrus, we are dealing with the same issue. I have a lovely center carved table with a pie fluted edge on it. It was my mom's so it is very special to me. I would like to get it restored and put a glass top on it but the fluted edge makes it difficult.My little grandsons are not at all neat eaters and the table mats that I have been using are not adequate to prevent spots from my grandchildren's frequent drips and drops.

o

I am so glad to see this thread. We have an oak table with slight octagon edges (close to oval). We have had a glass top on it to protect the wood which is not fully solid wood. I will say during the 3 or so years we have had the glass on the table top, the glass has become somewhat scratched, and it does allow some spills to go underneath the glass so requires removing once in a while to clean underneath. If it was more valuable wood, I would need to remove ithe glass more often to wipe up the drips, small spills etc.

Would you consider getting an amish table base and putting a low maintance, but attractive top on? I would really like to replace my table top with another material. Granite would be too heavy. Is there another material that is lighter weight and a suitable top for a big table? Currently our table splits to allow insert of a table leaf, so I would want to retain that feature to extend the table.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here