Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy6421

Need advice on sink in kitchen remodel

kathy6421
10 years ago

I am not sure which sink to go with in our kitchen remodel. I know all the pros and cons of stainless, enameled cast iron and silgranite.
I have had a white enameled cast iron double(50/50) basin drop in for over 12 years and really like the material and look of it except for the slight staining and black marks that won't come off. A lot of people are telling me to go with stainless.
Also, I don't mind too much that the basins are not big enough to wash my cookie sheet and bigger pots without banging against the sink, but it would be nice to have a bigger bowl for pots and cookie sheets.
I don't know if I should go with a low divide offset undermount, an offset single bowl with no divider or just a single bowl. We have limited room since we are putting the refrigerator to the left between sink and exterior wall, so the smaller it is overall(and still big enough that I'm happy with it), the better. I really shouldn't go with anything bigger than 25? inches long(total inside length). I'd like to fit a smaller drying rack on right side even if it's a single bowl.
Everything I see is 9 inches or more deep. Ours now is
7 1/2 deep which I like. Any deeper and I'd be bending over. Since most are 9+ deep, a 9+ deep undermount would be even deeper.
We are also looking for very good quality under $500(way under if possible). I'm wondering if it's possible to find what I'm looking for or if it just doesn't exist and I have no other choice but to go with one that is 9" deep and either to big(long) or too small(in order to fit fridge and have small counter space between sink and fridge).
Any sink suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (14)

• Mayaa
    10 years ago

OK, consider your need, available place, purchasing power, use time and most importantly your choice while taking decision about sink

• jesshs
    10 years ago

IKEA has several inexpensive options that meet your needs. They have 20 to 25" single bowls and one 11/2 bowl sink that is 23". All look to be just over 7" deep, so not to deep for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA sinks

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have about 98 inches of counter right now between the exterior wall and where the counter turns on the right(L).

There is a window on that wall(not exactly in the middle), that is about 35" wide including trim, so on the left of the window there will be about 47 inches from the window trim to the exterior wall.

We are thinking that the refrigerator(not sure if 33 or 36 inches wide), will go between the window and exterior wall(closer to exterior wall), sink under window and drawer and blind corner cabinet to right of sink.
    I'd like a big enough sink, but also have to have some counter space between the sink and fridge(at least 12 inches?) We will have Silestone(quartz) countertops and again, the base cabinets will be the standard 24" deep.

Any suggestions of what type of sink to get and what the biggest I could fit would be? Thanks!

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What do you prefer? Stainless or Silgranit? Large single bowl or 2 with a low divider & one bowl being larger? Also, does anyone have a big sink in a corner(L shaped kitchen) with cabinets above the sink? If you do, do you like it?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I've installed hundreds of sinks for customers. Not one has ever complained any were too deep.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

kathy642- i just put in a blanco diamond 1 1/2 bowl configuration. it is 33x22 and can be under mount or top mount.
    in this house the builder put in a shallow double bowl ss that i hated and swapped out (years later) for 1 single bowl ss. i said i would never go back to 2 bowls again but kinda fell for the diamond sinks! there is a 1 3/4 version that i think fishymom has. i use the shallow small side for silverware ( i always have dishes in my sink) and the bigger bowl still fits a 9x13 or cookie sheet to soak. my sink might be too big but at the plumbing supply place i saw the single bowl diamond installed and it was really big but had much smaller base requirements. going to the plumbing supply showroom was really helpful since i am a visual person. as an added bonus they were cheaper than HD or lowes.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I got a stainless 2-bowl offset sink (70/30, I think). The larger bowl is 9" deep, the smaller 7.5" deep. I put sink grids on both, which effectively raises the bottom of the sink.

I don't wash a lot by hand - crock pot, knives, and cookie sheets come to mind. If I was washing a sink full of dishes by hand every day, the extra depth might bother me, but I'm short, so it might not.

I really love the fact that I can have a pile of dishes in the sink (that haven't made it to the DW yet), and the sink is deep enough that I can't see them from across the room.

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ankh, do you have the low divide with 2 different size bowls, or one with no divider, just one side is smaller?

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

It's not a low divide; one side is smaller. I really wanted a 30" sink base, and searched long and hard to find a double sink to fit. It's been 8 months, and I've been thrilled so far.

My old sink was a typical 33" double bowl stainless drop-in. Even though the new sink isn't as wide overall, the large bowl is bigger than the old one. We have the garbage disposal on the smaller side.

Mine is 16-gauge, with grids.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann's sink

• PRO
    User
    9 years ago

Most of my clients use stainless. More and more they are going to larger single bowels. The grid on the bottom makes all the difference in the world. You can scrub away on the bottom of a pan while pushing down hard and a good grid will hold it all an inch or two above the bottom of the sink. No scratching. If you are a little tight on space, those grids in the bottom of the sink double as a drying rack when you're done and the kitchen is clean. I'd spring for the cutting board that comes as an option with better sinks as well.

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I'll either go with a big single bowl or offset with no divider. Thanks for letting me know what you like!

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find a wide(30? inches) 16 gauge single basin sink that is only 8" deep(preferably with curved corners)? I'd like the grid to come with it, but will buy separate if need be.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Don't put a grid in an 8" deep sink. Fine in a 10" and possibly in a 9", but creating a 7 inch work depth is not a good thing. I am willing to bet that I am taller than you (5'12") so I probably have to bend more than you do, and I have a 10 inch deep sink and wouldn't change it. It is not a writing pad and you don't do most of your sink work on the bottom surface. Most of what you do is in front of you under the water stream and occasional scrubbing on the bottom (using a grid if you have a deep sink -- also helps keep single bowls flowing freely).

If space is an issue, I'd go medium size single bowl at least 9 inches deep. The added depth will give you more room for cookie sheets and things and reduce splashing.

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If I go with a 9" undermount and have a grid, would it make it a bit shallower(8")? I've used a 9" deep sink to wash dishes and it's too deep(9" undermount is more like 10" deep once installed). I am 5'4" and it hurts my back to bend over. My current sink that I am getting rid of is an enamel coated cast iron(which I love other than the staining and black marks) and it's only about 7 1/2 inches deep which is fine. The only thing I don't like is that it's a double bowl and the faucet isn't high enough. I would like a wider 16 gauge stainless undermount that with a grid would be about what I have now(no more than about 8" deep once installed), but cannot find anything. By the way, it's going in a 42" corner base. :)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor