Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Experience with Horizontal Wall Cabinets?

Posted by suzytx55 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 10:28

Positive or negative? My next house will be my retirement house and I wish incorporate a number of universal design features.

I know IKEA carries them but I like a more traditional style. Do other manufacturers carry them and/or can retrofit a vertical cabinet with the proper hardware?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Experience with Horizontal Wall Cabinets?

Suzy - you might be new...I don't remember seeing your name on here before, so sorry if you aren't...but if you want to go with IKEA cabinetry, you can get custom doors made (at a reasonable cost) - I know of several people who have done that here and have been quite happy. I believe that Barker is one of the ones people have used.

Aside from that, I'm pretty sure that you will find some options with various manufacturers since it's really more about the hinges used than the cabinetry itself.. Hafele makes hinge units that you can use for this.

One thing that I considered with the horizontal cabinets is that the doors open UPwards and it may not be so easy to open and close them as you might imagine. There is an option available for an insert (can't remember for certain, but I think it's a Rev-a-shelf product) that allows for the upper cabinetry to open as normal and the unit has a pull down area to bring the shelves down to a lower area...that may be worthwhile looking at as well.

o
RE: Any Experience with Horizontal Wall Cabinets?

Andrea, yes, I am fairly new.

Your last paragraph hit on some of my concerns, that I could open it but might find it difficult to close. I have seen the pull down shelf systems online and that looks like a viable alternative. I probably will lose some space but increase utility.

With all the chatter about universal design due to a rapidly aging population, I think it deserves its own category on the home forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here