Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_belle

Tell me about your knife drawer today

karen_belle
14 years ago

My cabinet maker is building drawers. I'd like to have a knife block insert. His hardware supply company carries the rev-a-shelf version.

Any opinions? Pros/cons? Other options? Pictures?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• Sharon kilber
    14 years ago

{{!gwi}} Here is mine. I, ordered it from A&H Turf Specialties. It is rev a shelf, it is trimable from a 24 in, down to what ever size you need. Is real easy to do. They also send you a wood divider. It is 38.00. sharaz

• karen_belle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, that looks great. The Rev-a-shelf item looked good in the catalog, but it's hard to tell from the info what the quality was. Yours looks really sturdy.

Is the drawer depth smaller than usual? Would you be able to use it as well if you had a shallower drawer?

• jrueter
    14 years ago

My old drawers were an odd size so I ended up buying an adjustable knife insert at Linens 'N Things, and it was so nice I have kept it in the new kitchen. I would recommend looking at your current knife collection and making sure whatever you choose that you have enough/right size slots for your knives.

LNT is out of business, but I found what looks like mine online at Target

Here is a link that might be useful: expandable knife insert

• Sharon kilber
    14 years ago

The drawer, is 4 1/2 inches high. The knife block is 2 inches high. So you, would be able to use it in a shallower drawer .It is real built really well. I, like it alot. sharaz

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

jrueter, which way do the dimensions run? It looks like the 18" side is parallel to the knife slots, and the 12.75" side is the expandable to 22". Is yours from LNT the same dimensions? If so, do you have it in a 24" (front to back) drawer, and what do you have in front of or behind the insert?

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I looked into that one, but I preferred the Mundial. It takes less room for the number of knives it stores. It holds 8 small knives and 6 large knives plus 1 steel. I bought mine from CutleryAndMore for $29.95. Here's the description from Amazon (but don't buy it there if you get it, it's $45 at Amazon!)

* 2-tiered wooden drawer tray safely stores favorite knives
    * Lower tier holds 6 knives and 1 sharpening steel, up to 10 inches in length
    * Top tier holds 8 steak knives or any knife up to 6 inches in length
    * Tray measures 17 by 8-1/2 by 2 inches, fits most drawers
    * Hand-finished, solid wood for durability

Yes, I have more than 6 large knives, but I don't use them very much, if at all, so I store the extras in a knife block in the pantry. Here's a pic:

BTW...I store cooking forks in the steel section. Since I don't use the steel that often, it stays in the knife block in the pantry.

Oh, there's also a smaller one (KST-1) that holds 4 large knives, 6 small knives, and one steel. It's 17" x 6-1/4" x 1-3/4".

• susie1010
    14 years ago

This bamboo knife organizer is from organize.com. I am using it in a 15" drawer. It expands to about 22" with 2 large open sections on either side. I like it because it hold a lot of small knives in addition to the large ones.

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

I have something very similar to what Buehl has. I have two of them side-by-side in one drawer and it holds all of my steak knives and other knives. I think I bought them at Macy's about 7 years ago. They were the less expensive version of the same thing made by Henckels.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Hi Karen:
    I have no photos but I am totally interested in seeing others' knife drawers. I bought the same one as buehl but haven't installed it yet. Two tiered, with a sharpening steel slot.

I saved a drawer for my knives while my old house I had a knife block on the counter. Am looking forward to "hiding" it and not having the knives on my counter.

EVERYONE--keep posting! :)

• sumnerfan
    14 years ago

I'll glad I stumbled upon this topic. I really want to get that ugly knife block off my counter. Hopefully this will convince hubby to take the leap.

• plllog
    14 years ago

I don't have beautiful pictures, nor a beautiful knife drawer. Instead I have a couple of OXO clean plastic utensil trays stacked. I've always kept my good knives in edge guards. I find it easier to store and use them, and I don't worry about my edges.

{{!gwi}}

• lauriec
    14 years ago

thx buehl, just ordered one- looks perfect for me!

L

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

Thanks karen belle for asking the question and thanks for all the responses. This is just what I need now. Now to decide and order.

• karen_belle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad the post was helpful to others, it was definitely helpful for me. Our cabinet builder uses Lewis & Co for his hardware, and they carry the Rev-A-Shelf, so that's what we are going to get. With site-built cabinets, I didn't want to buy an "aftermarket" item when I could get something that would be customized to whatever drawer size works in my plan.

We keep kosher, so I'm going to have 2 shallow drawers for knives, one meat and one dairy. I've even convinced DH that he can say goodbye to the knife block he's had since college. Knowing him, however, it'll probably end up in a closet somewhere, just for sentimentality, LOL. But the knives will be in the drawer.