Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdedwards_gw

Finished Kitchen - Soapstone, Cherry & Cream Cabinets

tdedwards
13 years ago

I've posted some photos of my new kitchen in response to some posts, but thought I'd share the full kitchen since this site was such a great resource for our very hurried planning (we only had 2 weeks to plan and pick out everything before demo started!). Our contractor stocked most of the materials used - cherry cabinets, hardwood floors, sink, backsplash and vent hood- so little lead time was needed. The cream armstrong cabinets were ordered elsewhere and arrived the day after they finished the floors (just in time!).

We had a very small kitchen and 1/3 of the small counterspace was occupied by a microwave. We also had a small adjacent breakfast room, but since the wall between is load bearing and had plenty of ducts and pipes, we couldn't combine the spaces.

Our solution was to move the fridge over into an existing closet, and open up the wall into the dining room. We placed a peninsula with breakfast bar where the fridge stood to gain more counter and storage space. Dishwasher, corner sink and stove stayed in the same locations. We placed a wall of pantry and work space in the old breakfast room.

Here are our finished photos:

Comments (29)

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

tdedwards, I LOVE your kitchen. Please give details of the cabinets from Armstrong used, the cherry cabinets used, the hardware, the recessed lightings' wattage & the swivel feature, the backsplash, the floors and the great beautiful trim that you used on top which may be a good idea for me if I remove the soffits. Thanks for sharing.

• francesca_sf
    13 years ago

2 weeks to plan the whole kitchen?! Astonishing! This is a beautifully designed kitchen! How do you like the soapstone?

• tdedwards
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. The armstrong cabinets are Berkshire in Vanilla Cream. Uppers are 36" with small crown molding. We used a filler below the molding (MUCH cheaper than adding more molding) to bring the cabinets down to the right height. The 42" height cabinets would've been too low if we added any type of trim work. We also had soffits removed.

The cherry cabinets do not have a name brand (they were the only choice for cherry by our contractor). I also don't know about the recessed lighting. Our contractor was very inexpensive, but provided little choices which I guess made it easier.

Knobs were ordered from overstock and the few bin pulls are from Restoration Hardware. Pulls at the desk were from Home Depot.

The floors are pre-finished oak and backsplash is carrara marble.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Wow, it's amazing how well you did with only 2 weeks of preparation! It looks great...really pretty!

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Adorable! Yours is one of the most elegantly homey kitchens I've ever seen. I love it. The flow looks super functional. And I love the way your mudroom/office/panty is partially open to your kitchen. That is an idea I may just "steal" from you whenever we do our big renovation.

• tdedwards
    Original Author
    13 years ago

francesca, i think having limited choices made it easier to plan quickly. It was also nice not having to pre-order the cherry cabinets since they were stocked. there was a lot of planning even after the demo started.

We've been living with the soapstone for about a month now and love it!

• autumngal
    13 years ago

I can't believe you put that together in two weeks! Beautiful kitchen, I love all of your choices, but I'm especially impressed with your use of space. You took a small space and made it look and feel expansive, great job! I am jealous of your pantry/office room- what an amazing room!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is lovely! Got to agree with everyone else: you did that in only 2 weeks???!!! What a case you make for not overthinking a thing; everything you have put into this kitchen, in record time, totally works. I especially like the way you converted your breakfast room into a pantry and opened the wall to the dining room. Smart! Overall a great job. You should be very proud. Enjoy!

• doraville
    13 years ago

What storage and what a lovely kitchen! Love the desk area with the pantries! Making all the decisions within a couple of weeks - priceless.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Just beautiful! What a great use of space. I love the creaminess of the cabinets, and the cherry is beautiful.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

What a beautiful, classic kitchen! Very nicely done!

I like how you used soapstone for the window sills by the sink. We were thinking about doing something similar but I couldn't envision how it would look to have a darker sill with a light tile b/s so thanks for posting your finished pictures.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

What a great solution for the fridge dilemma and what a nice kitchen you have to work in now!! That pantry/office space is WONderful. Super use of the space and beautiful, too.

• plllog
    13 years ago

The whole thing looks great! But I'm wondering what you decided about color for the corner?

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

This is really amazing that you made all these choices in two weeks. It looks so pulled together. Looking at your counters, it seems like you have a lot of counter space and with the desk area/pantry, a lot of storage too. I love that you utilized your space so well.....and it looks BEAUTIFUL :)

• willet
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is lovely. What kind of soapstone did you use?

• tdedwards
    Original Author
    13 years ago

plllog, I found a couple small painted tin stars in a craft store. They just sit on the molding above the window. It adds just a little bit of color.

Soapstone is belvedere.

Thanks again everyone. We do love our new space.

• karin_2015
    13 years ago

Love it, love it, love it! Your kitchen would be my inspiration photo if I didnt just complete my kitchen this week (and if DH wasnt against white cabinets!) But I love the clean, classic, classy feel of your white cabinets and beautiful backsplash. And your paint color choice is very pretty--that blue plays off the warm cherry cabs very nicely!

Just love it! I hope you send it to FKB so that it can be seen in the archives forever!

Congrats! :)

• riverspots
    13 years ago

Really, really nice. I'll bet it's a dream to work in.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

You have a beautiful kitchen! I particularly love the marble backsplash tiles and the pops of red.

• marcy96
    13 years ago

What a beautiful, warm and classic kitchen! I love your choices of creamy painted cabinets, soapstone and marble, and I love how the kitchen flows into the cherry office area. It's unbelievable that you did this all in two weeks. What a terrific job! Enjoy!

• busybme
    13 years ago

You did a great job! Had you been kitchen-obsessed before the hasty decisions needed to be made? You made some excellant choices.

• prill
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is so soothing looking. It must be the color combinations. Great job!

• tdedwards
    Original Author
    13 years ago

busybme, not kitchen obsessed, but having lived with the kitchen for several years, we knew exactly what we would do when the time came. Didn't think it would be in the budget for another year so we hadn't done any actual planning. We did ask a contractor to come in and give an estimate so we could get an idea about how much we would need. Well, it turns out the price was right (and he would give us additional savings if we could start in 2 weeks).

We definitely benefitted from friends who recently did their kitchen. They recommended the armstrong dealer who sold the cabinets at a great price. We really didn't look anywhere else. Also DEFINETELY benefitted from gardenweb photos. We spent hours looking through photos (for backsplash patterns, faucets) once we decided to go ahead with the kitchen. Other than that, there really weren't a lot of decisions to make.

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

Thank you tdedwards for the information about your kitchen since I feel some of what you chose may work in my kitchen. I love the Armstrong cabinets and I looked up online the Berkshire in Vanilla Cream and now I just need to find out who has samples in a store so I can see how this would look in my kitchen. I love that the Uppers are 36" with small crown molding and that you let me know that you used a filler below the molding to bring the cabinets down to the right height. Thanks for letting me know that you had the soffits removed.
    No wonder I love your backsplash since I love carrara marble.

• momtofour
    13 years ago

Very nice! Pretty and welcoming!

• sweetpea87
    13 years ago

Really beautiful! Well done, and well, you're Done! 2 wks and boy even the backsplash is complete, and it looks as if you planned forever.

It really is warm and elegant all wrapped into one. I'm just repeating what already's been said, but worth repeating.

Enjoy your new kitchen!

• starpooh
    13 years ago

Love your kitchen! Soapstone with cherry/cream cabinets are my personal favorite.
    May I archive it in the Finished Kitchens Blog? You can give your permission in this post or email me at starpooh@gmail.com.
    Then, at your leisure, please submit the FKB Category Checklist to help me categorize your kitchen.
    Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• tdedwards
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Starpooh. I would love that! Here are the details (I forgot to list them at the very top). I will also fill out the checklist.

Cabinets: Armstrong Berkshire - Vanilla Cream, Cherry cabinets provided by GC
    Countertop: Belvedere soapstone from M Teixeira
    Backsplash: Carrara Marble
    Flooring: Oak
    Hardware: Gilmore Bin Pulls from RH, Stone Mill knobs from Overstock.com, pulls at desk from Home Depot
    Faucet: Grohe Bridgeford
    Vent Hood: K-Star
    Lighting: Pendant lights from Overstock.com
    Appliances: Bosch DW, Electrolux range, LG Fridge
    Paint: Kitchen - BM Iced Slate, DR - BM Normandy

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

Very pretty kitchen! And it's amazing how quickly it came together - seems I was planning mine for 12 years :-)

Enjoy it!
    Eliz

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz