Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_s_gw

Cabinets that go all the way down to the countertop

Jan_S
16 years ago

What do you call the kind of upper kitchen cabinets that go all the way down to the countertop? That is, they look like they are resting on the countertop, not hanging from the wall. We're going to have deep 30" counters and I'd love to ask for this sort of thing in one or two corners. Is there a nifty way to refer to this?

Thanks for any help!

The link below is to jgarner53's beautiful kitchen remodel

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (17)

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

jan congrats on your remodel
    Not sure w/o seeing your drawings -

Here's a pic of ours - it served several purposes -
    Tricky part of kit 3 different ceiling heights
    gave us a pantry next to fridge

not the best pic but I think you get the idea

this is what is right around the corner from that

best of luck

• zelmar
    16 years ago

In the case you show, jan s, I think it would be called an appliance garage---which doesn't have to be used for appliances but it would be good to put an outlet in, just in case. Or, just using the phrase "cabinet to the counter top" could open up the discussion. Another configuration to consider is using drawers instead of a door. With drawers, you can have something sitting on the counter in front of the cabinet and still have access to 2 out of the 3 drawers.

{{!gwi}}

• hollylh
    16 years ago

Do any of you know of some cabinet companies where that configuration (going to the counter, with drawers) is a standard one? I want to "build" a hutch from stock pieces with two of those columns--have only checked KM catolog, which didn't seem to have it, and looked at Crown Point website, which has no stock anything posted.

jan s, as you can tell I think it is a great look. I wish we had 30" counters! a very smart design choice in MHO! and to answer your question, it seems like the way to refer to them is "those cool cabinets that go all the way to the counter" ;)

Holly

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Keep in mind if you want an appliance garage, you want it constructed 'without' a bottom or floor, so that whatever you have stored in there can slide directly from counter into your box.

Since it would be built intentionally that way, would have to have support from back wall I guess...

• Jan_S
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Very nice cabinetry, jejvtr, thank you for the photos. Do you miss the horizontal surface area that your "cabinet to the counter top" cabinets take away?

The drawer suggestion is a good one too, zelmar. That's a very handsome example of corner cabinetry that goes to the counter.

Part of the appeal is that the cabinets that go all the way to the counter seem to look more like furniture, like an old fashioned English "countertop larder" might look. I like the corbel type extensions at the bottom of cabinets too for that reason.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

I think Omega does...at least when we were considering them (both for a corner and straight run) our KD told us we had several configuration options for the lower portion of the cabinet (top portion had doors like regular uppers):

Something a little different (look to the right, raised DW?)
    http://www.omegacab.com/gallery.asp?f=2&pg=21

If you check the "Photo Gallery" on the Omega site you will see the various types in the kitchens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Omega Photo Gallery

• homey_bird
    16 years ago

Hello,
    Just wanna chime in a "perspective". I do see the look hollylh is trying to achieve -- and I love the idea of the hutchy look -- however, please note that if you have cabs down till the counters, the counters may not be used much at all for prep etc. Thus, if you have a purpose in your mind such as appliance garage, it would suit the style greatly.

• maydl
    16 years ago

My 36-inch wide x 54-inch high wall cabinet will go down to the counter with one wide drawer beneath the shelves. Situated near the DW, the shelves will hold our everyday dishware and glassware, and the drawer will hold our everyday cutlery. It's true that the 12-inch deep stretch of counter in front of this hutch arrangement won't be of much use except as a way station from the DW to the shelves. But this stretch of counter has always held small appliances that took up the same amount of space as the new hutch will, so we're used to using just the bit of counter along the front.

My advice if you're planning for a wall cabinet down to the counter is to mark off the footprint of that cabinet on your existing counter (in pencil or tape) and get used to not putting anything down in that space. See if it will work for you.

• ljsandler
    16 years ago

Here's pics of my wall cabinets going down to the countertop. I made it look like a hutch. I love the look but would not consider it for food prep. BTW, half of the left side cabinet hides pipes, etc.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I'm using Omega custom, but we did the same design with Karmen...With Omega, they're making us a solid cabinet that goes from counter to ceiling...so instead of a say 36" cabinet we have a 50whatever upper.

I'm doing it in the bathroom, with the drawers on the counter I'm using apothacary drawers (a bank of 3 stacked on 3 so 6 drawers on each side).

IF you're doing a stack of misc cabinets to make your "hutch" you just do a nice side panel from top to bottom to finish the look. Or in the case of Omega Custom...just have them build one big cabinet. Mine is the two apothacary stacks, a larger tall thin cabinet, then a smaller one on the top, which is the same size as the bridge cabinets, and the opposite side is the same, so the whole "hutch" frames the mirror and sink area.

• zelmar
    16 years ago

We designed a hutch using the same approach--with a stack of drawers and appliance garage doors (covering a pass through) between the upper cabs and counter. This isn't a good angle but I haven't bothered moving our table to get a better picture.

{{!gwi}}

• defrost49
    16 years ago

We have Signature cabinets. Our KD wanted this cabinet to have a glass door but I went with a standard cabinet door. We have a single drawer under. This is a good idea since you have just enough counter top to stage things going to the table etc. Yet you can still open the cabinet doors. I have some placemats rolls up in the draw so I don't open it very often. The cabinet holds are everyday dishes. There are a variety of styles on Signature's website if you look thru their gallery. I love the cabinet because it holds a lot of dishes. It's an end cabinet next to the door to the diningroom. I like the way it delineates the kitchen work area. There's about 15" of space between the stove and this cabinet. Just enough room for a hot pad for things coming out of the oven. My prep area is on the other side of the stove.

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

jan
    thank you - No I don't "miss" the space lost due to the hutch cab - The counter is 9.5 deep - & around the corner it is reg depth - It was a concern next to fridge re: having a landing zone as there isn't one on the other side of fridge - The kitchen is relatively narrow (10') so it has not been an issue at all

good luck

• Jan_S
    Original Author
    16 years ago

On a new thread asking about the drawer underneath the cabinet on the counter, redroze refers to it as a "stacked cabinet". That sounds like a pretty good name for it, so far I haven't heard anything else. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Does a stacked cabinet need a bottom drawer?

• hollylh
    16 years ago

Gorgeous cabinets, jejtvr and zelmar--and good info about KM and others--
    and good point about prep space.
    don't want to hijack any more so at some point I will start another thread about "building" a hutch. Holly

• redroze
    16 years ago

LOL...I've started the use of "stacked". I think it makes sense given that you're stacking a cabinet (with drawers, shelves, etc) onto the countertop. Better than calling it a "thingy", which is the word I use whenever I can't think of the real name... ;-)

I've heard it referred to that somewhere, maybe it was a show on HGTV.