Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakergirl_gw

Bench to table distance

Bakergirl
12 years ago

Hello,

We are getting a built-in banquette in our kitchen. I am trying to figure out what size table to get. Do the edges of the table typically overap the end of the seats by a certain amount? I believe the contractor said there will be a 5" back and 18" seat (because most bench cushions are 18" deep). The banquette will be three-sided, and we don't plan to do more than get a "just in case" backless bench to slide under the 4th side (one of the longer sides)--not sticking out except in the rare instances that someone would be sitting there.

Is there any kind of standard distance from the end of the bench seat to the table (or a standard amount of overlap)? I'm trying to balance the ability to get in and out with the concern that the table top not start in a place that is too far from the seat (particularly given that I have two younger kids that will be eating there). I have about 60" (62" from wall, 60" from edge of window sill) from the back wall to where the pantry starts on the side wall. So, I don't want the table to be wide enough to get in the way of that. I *think* a 36" wide table will be ok (60-23=37). It will be even more ok if the table would typically overlap the bench end a little. Thoughts?

Comments (14)

• dseng
    12 years ago

Typically a table in a banquette will overhang the edge of the bench seats by 4-5". Fine Homebuilding had a nice article on banquette design and construction back in the fall of 2007 - maybe it will be helpful. We're in the initial stages of building one ourselves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Breakfast Booth Basics - Fine Homebuilding

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

DH works for a restaurant design and supply company. One of the designers drew this banquette schematic. I've read that a table overhang of 4-5" is common, despite her listing it as 3".

Getting in and out of a three sided booth will be a little troublesome no matter. 24" is the standard bench width for restaurant booths to allow for the proper slope. The slope of the back rest is what makes a booth comfortable....or not.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

JH Carr is a major restaurant booth manufacturer. I'll link their website with booth styles and dimensions. They changed their website recently so it's visually more modern, but they left off their great drawings with dimensions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Booth maker

• Bakergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. Wow-- I'm suprised on the seat depth recommendation. I was actually starting to worry that 18" was overkill (after later going back and measuring a few old chairs around the house to see that their seats are 16-17").

A three sided wasn't been my first choice, largely because of the getting in-out factor. But if we had done two sides (facing each other), there would have been little bowling alleys on either side. If we had done a corner booth, which WAS my first choice, It would have landed very awkwardly with respect to a window. Then we went to a restaurant and happened to be seated in a 3-sided booth and it was actually perfect. If only I could find a place to order the restaurant tables, I'd be all set. Sadly, I need ONE, not 10+!

And yes-- all three sides will have storage; the long side will have a flip-up lid, and the shorter sides will have drawers.

• R Y
    8 years ago

Go to DIT Kitchens. They can custom make a table, as a special order.

• R Y
    8 years ago

DIY Kitchens, sorry

• Buehl
    8 years ago

Spam

This is a 4-year old thread - no need to try to sell the OP anything now.

• R Y
    8 years ago

I'm a customer who read the thread because I have similar needs for my own kitchen. Just trying to give future readers advice, based on my own learnings and shopping experience. What's your deal buelh? Sounds like you need ato get a life

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

We went to our local diner, decided if we were comfortable or not and did a ton of measurements there...

• Buehl
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You knocked off someone's thread from the first page who needs help TODAY to reply to someone who no longer needs help. Please read the "New to Kitchens" thread.

Usually when we see a user with one post (or similar posts on multiple threads) pointing to a sales link it's someone trying to drive business to their site.

• R Y
    8 years ago

You made my Houzz experience such a pleasure. There must be nicer ways of speaking to customers Buehl. You need better customer service skills if this is your job to police the site.

• User
    8 years ago

No idea books. No other posts but to shill a company. Canned pork smelling to me.

• R Y
    8 years ago

If there is more recent post on this topic, would appreciate if you do something constructive like direct me to it, rather than put me down for not being an IT pro. I will choose to use Pintinerest in future, to avoid insult.