Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dubodan

Stop faucet spout from rotating 360 degrees

Dubo Dan
9 years ago

Hi,

We have a prep sink in our island, along with two children aged 3 and 5.

Our faucet is beautiful, but unfortunately it rotates 360 degrees and I was curious is there is any way to stop it from rotating this far so it would be unable to have the water running onto the counters. The faucet we have is the Waterstone Annapolis. http://www.waterstoneco.com/suites/annapolis-suite.php

Thanks for your help!

Comments (31)

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I want to know too! Delta Trinsic temporarily installed.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Not a hardware issue. A training issue.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

hollysprings, you crack me up.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I have accidentally turned on the faucet when mine was turned a little too far to the side.

Would your kids even be able to reach the faucet?

• blfenton
    9 years ago

huh, well just checked my Grohe faucets and turns out that they too turn completely around. No one has ever turned them around and there has never been a problem. I've had them for 4 years and never even knew that.

• sherri1058
    9 years ago

I love the fact that my faucet rotates 360. I often rotate the faucet around to access water without having to go around the island. Saves me steps when filling the water reservoir of my coffee machine, or watering plants in different rooms, or just to fill my water glass etc.

• Dubo Dan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good point Sherri. I am still perplexed that there is not some sort of attachment you can purchase that could accomplish this task.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I noticed this accident waiting to happen too (although unlikely in my house). I don't see the need for a faucet to spin full circle. There are good designs and there are bad ones. I consider it a design issue and a flaw that could be very expensive for people with kids. Probably cheaper, as if we don't pay enough for this cr@$.

I hope someone knows how to restrict it.

• northcarolina
    9 years ago

Not a design flaw. Faucets that have a single handle attached to the faucet base need to be manufactured with at least a 270 degree rotation to allow for different handle orientations. A 270 degree minimum arc of rotation lets people mount the faucet handle either to the front or off to one side and still be able to turn the faucet head at least 180 degrees. When I bought my faucets I made sure to choose ones that would allow for this, since I knew I'd be mounting the handles facing forward. I don't know if mine turn the full 360 degrees because there are walls behind them, but they do go past 180 degrees with the handles facing forward, so it's possible. We have never turned the water directly on the counter even with the faucet at the prep sink. (so far.)

The fact that the faucet saleslady checked my faucet's rotation to be sure I could mount the handle to the front suggests that there could be some on the market that don't turn that far. I wouldn't know how to find them, though. Do you need any rotation at all for a faucet at a prep sink on an island? We rely on the rotation for the faucet at our big sink, but there isn't much need to move the one at our prep sink since that sink is so much smaller. I suppose you could use a faucet marketed for bathrooms since they don't turn, but you would probably have to get a side sprayer instead of a built-in spray head (another fun thing for kids to play with).

• Vertise
    9 years ago

"Faucets that have a single handle attached to the faucet base need to be manufactured with at least a 270 degree rotation"

That's a different style than I'm referring to. I've got two handle faucets and there is no reason for the spout to spin 360. I don't see why the OP's style would need to either.

Could you please post a picture of the design you're referring to?

• northcarolina
    9 years ago

This is a photo of a Waterford Annapolis, which is the OP's faucet. It's the design I was talking about, a single handle attached to the base of a high arch faucet:

Some people mount these with the handle oriented off to one side as in the picture; others have the handle turned forward, toward the sink. You don't have that flexibility in installation if the faucet can't turn very far.

OP, in looking for the photo I did notice that the Annapolis also comes in a prep and a bar faucet. Maybe you could ask the dealer or manufacturer if they have the same degree of rotation as yours (assuming you have the big one)? I don't know if there is an attachment you could use to limit the rotation, but you could also email the manufacturer to ask about that.

• justmakeit
    9 years ago

I have a Waterstone, but not the Annapolis model. My faucet CAN be pushed around 360 degrees, but it requires a constant push -- in other words, it wouldn't spin accidentally around. I'm wondering if you've tried calling Waterstone directly. I had a different customer service question, and I found the rep I talked very friendly and knowledgeable. Just wondering if this is how they intend the faucet to be, or if yours is looser on its axis than it's meant to be.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I still don't see why it needs to swivel so far.

• Dubo Dan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi justmakeit,

I did call Waterstone directly and they did not have a solution, I just thought there may be an aftermarket attachment but apparently there is not.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

It swivels so that anyone using something like one of the butterfly corner sinks, or two opposing sinks on a corner application can have the faucet reach the intended bowl. Also, it makes the actuator be able to be mounted in any position, from the back to either side, to the front. That's a key feature for many, If faucets didn't swivel 360, then someone somewhere would gripe about that. ;-)

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

You can buy restricted swivel faucets but they mostly seem to be for classroom use. Farthest thing from a plumber but I had a good look at two on my faucets disassembled and I can't think of a place you could put a clip to prevent swivelling.

• elphaba_gw
    9 years ago

Being able to swivel 360 was the first thing I checked when shopping for faucets. If your faucet is installed on an island (for a prep sink), seems to me that of course you would want it to be able to spin around so you can access it from the island position on the other side of the prep sink - that position in my kitchen is near the pantry where I have the microwave installed so of course, I would want to be able to fill a cup of water from the other side of the sink. It isn't installed yet so hopefully, it is going to work like I want. And just thought about fact that my "baking zone" is on the end of the island, another place I might want to access a little water to flour, etc without having to move around to the front of the prep sink.

• wardman
    9 years ago

Did you ever find anything? I am looking at the
    Hansgrohe 04297800 : Hansgrohe Allegro E Gourmet Prep Faucet

Seems to fit most of the bill for many of the same reasons you state. And if I need to fill a larger pot, the spray is perfect for that.

• Dubo Dan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haven't found anything, but the 360 degree swivel has not been a problem as of yet.

• Hayley Hesseln
    6 years ago

I didn't know I had a faucet the rotated 360o. No joy! Dog managed to get onto the counter and spin the faucet so that it pointed onto the counter. He then turned on the hot water and flooded the kitchen while I was at work. Insurance claim = $27,000. Beware.

• Frank Oppermann
    5 years ago
    how to stop a Moen kitchen faucet from rotating
  • cdarabi
    5 years ago

Delta faucet installed in bath vanity with rotation 360, why? Its listed as a bathroom faucet, why would it need to rotate over the counter?

• joannacaneris
    5 years ago

I just had a Brizo faucet installed on an island in my rental only to find out it had a 360 degree rotation. Searching for an after market gadget to restrain it from turning completely but have had no luck.

• Kathy Barry
    4 years ago

I need a way to keep my osmosis from swiveling.Dang cat has learned how to turn them on and I don't want to come home to a flooded floor.

• Les8530
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I bought a delta online from Lowe’s (during Covid when most places were closed) Lowe’s page does not mention the 360 swivel, but when I later looked on the Delta page it clearly states 360 swivel. Sent an email to Delta asking if there is a Way to adjust it so it won’t swivel, but a week has gone by with no response. 😡

• J.W.
    3 years ago

Definitely an accident waiting to happen. In my case, I’m waiting for it to happen again. Twice now someone has turned the filtered-water spout to the side to fill a kettle, then walked away and forgotten about it. Yes, it’s a ”training” issue, but at this point a failsafe would be preferrable!

• DJ B
    3 years ago

This is probably a feature so that you can install faucet with handle on either side. On day one is using my Brizo Rook touch faucet, the spout swung around and shot full power water behind my sink and directly toward the open countertop hole (filled for an R/O faucet that isn’t installed yet.) Thankfully there was a paper towel shoved in the hole to prevent accidental water dripping down that open hole to the new custom cabinet underneath. I NEVER would have thought that faucet would have gotten away from me so easily.
    The Brizo Rook has a touch sensor feature that was accidentally turned on my our cat this morning (only day two of new faucet..ugh.) Luckily the faucet wasn’t spun past 90° again. I will be calling Delta on Monday. All faucet manufacturers need to have a device to limit the degree of rotation when needed. Home owner’s insurance companies should require it actually.

• Sfd1926
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Several Hansgrohe kitchen faucets have 150 degree rotation. I have used them in several kitchens.
    The faucet can not spray outside of the sink! I believe installation flexibility and packaging for shipping is the reason for 360 degree faucets. 360 degree faucets can be packaged so the spout and handle are inline (flat) for packaging

• James Gasser
    2 years ago

Yeah, it needs a design feature to prevent or be able to set the limits of rotation. “Training issue” is a dumb comment and fails to recognize risk reduction. As unlikely as it may be, water damage is hugely expensive and a company who makes “water devices” (ie, faucets) should know better. Heck, they could charge the customer for a “feature“.

• HU-463935123
    8 months ago

It is a problem and an accident waiting to happen. We used a bead of ckear silicone caulk to stabslize it in one place on our prep sink.I can live with an immobile faucet better than a water damage.