Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window seat/banquette bench with table? Photos?

Posted by lafacia (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 10:14

Anyone have a window seat/long bench with kitchen table and chairs? or another bench? where you eat in the kitchen? Looking for photos to help me figure out table and size etc. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window seat/banquette bench with table? Photos?

Mine's in process so no finished pictures. We did a lot of research. Once you find something you like then you need the details. Here are our details:

> we want seat 18" off ground - bench is 15" with 4" cushion - we're allowing 1+" of compression; We measured benches and our own chairs and what's comfortable for us -18".
> bench (seat) depth is 17" with catalog purchased bench cushions form Home Decorators that are 18" deep. We want 1" cushion over hang so that back of legs are not pressing against the wood - so that's where 17" come from. My research said that 1-1.5" of cushion overhang is good. We won't have a back cushion but a few pillows. Originally I was going with 20" total seat depth. Saving all this money on the cushions convinced me to go with 18". I will just need flatter pillows. I will try out 18" with plywood before the finished product. We're facing the bench with wood from our 150 year old painted floor that was found above our kitchen but below the floor in the room above the kitchen (lol - instead of a dropped ceiling we found a raised floor)
> bench is slightly (3 degrees) slanted back to help keep cushions in place; Will probably use Velcro too.
> back is angled 95 degrees from bench seat. This makes it 98 degrees parallel to the floor
> the bench seat overhangs the base by 3" so that heels have comfortable room (the cushion is 1" further out)
> installing two 4' "morgue" drawers for each end. Can't wait for all that space for the crock pot, rice cooker, large pots...
> If you make the benches the length of standard bench cushions, the cushions will be much cheaper. I was planning on custom cushions and just this week saw home decorators sale. These cushions will cost 25% of what I was budgeting for custom. I totally lucked out that the lengths matched up. I do need 3 cushions instead of 2 but I think it will be OK.
> table should overhang bench 4 - 5"
> DH will make our table top from old growth wood from our home. (I bought a cool table from CL and will just use the base of it) 30" wide table is typical folding table size and really tight. We'll probably go around 34" or 36" (we have a tight space and this is the "kids" table). From a website: "Table widths between 36 and 40 inches gives you about 12" in the middle of the table for dishes and décor. Forty-two inch wide tables give ample room in the middle." You should have 24" width for each person minimum.

HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: dining room table design basics

o

Is this what you're thinking of?

photo kitchen2_101211.jpeg

o

I suggest you search on Houzz. I have looked at banquettes on there for months.

o

There was a great thread awhile ago on banquette dimensions - I did mine before seeing it, but it depends if you want comfort (that would angle the seat and back) or storage space (no storage drawers underneath)
I don't have time to look right now but if someone remembers it and finds it, it might help.

Ours is just a bench with a fold down back (so I can access the windows) - I put a pop up table in front since only 2 of us and this way it doesn't block the view.

I can post pictures but not sure ours is what you are looking to accomplish.

o

Try this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Some nice ones in this thread

o
One more : )

And this one is a great thread with lots of pictures and a nice diagram on designing the benches.

If you do a search in google using search terms something like "Banquettes kitchen gardenweb" you'll get lots more. : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Ode to Banquettes

This post was edited by laughable on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 20:55

o

I'm trying to figure out table size and shape so you can get in and out on bench side. Need to seat 5. Not sure I will have space for end chairs on both sides?

o

How deep are your shelves next to your bench? Perhaps you could do a bench like 2Littlefishies and use a round 45 or 48 inch table. I really don't know, but you might get 2 or 3 on the curved bench and 2 or 3 chairs around the table. You would probably need a pedestal for easy entry to the bench.

o

My banquette is small (we had lower windows and decided to put seating and storage there instead of wasted space), but we had a custom round pedestal table built using a base we got from a restaurant supply company.

o

Here is another thread from the past with some ideas for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Banquette

o

Yes, I think it was the Ode to Banquette

Lafacia - take a look at a "Boat" shaped table. I am going to post mine - but you want a "real" table and not the pop-up variety.
Mine was done by an Amish/English - not sure if you would call it a cooperative but the Amish do part of it and the English finish it off with the stain, etc.
I think the shape would work - they make a table in this shape as well. I think it was called Grand River or Grand Rapids - if you like it, I can find the info.
This is a catalog picture - I think this is actually the desk - we also bought the desk but had it sized for our house - so they will work with you to "customize" it.
 photo yhst-32823310950885_2218_165429254.jpg
Here it is - decked out for 2 for breakfast - We kept it small as the entry into the kitchen might have been problematic if we went too large. - Mostly, I want you to see the boat shape - not sure if the pictures capture it - but imagine a boat with the ends cut off - it gives a bit more room to climb into the area - but it is not too much that it is not functional.
 photo IMG_6980.jpg
From the other angle
 photo IMG_7229.jpg
Pop goes the weasel - ours pops up to a table height - but since you need to seat 5 -not an option for you.
 photo IMG_7272.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here