Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jill314_gw

Using a different countertop material next to the stove?

jill314
9 years ago

A thought occurred to me last night and I'm wondering what people's thoughts are. I have been thinking that we'll go with quartz countertops in our new kitchen. My understanding is that we can't put hot pots and pans directly on it because of potential heat damage. So, I was wondering, does anyone ever use a different counter material near the stove so that you CAN put hot things on the counter in those spots? If so, what do you use? I'm attaching a picture of our proposed layout below; there is a small piece of counter between the range and a full height pantry cabinet that measures about 30" wide. The microwave will sit below this portion of the counter, so hot things will be coming from there too. Would it make sense to have a different counter material just for that surface? If it matters, right now I'm thinking light oak floors, darkish quartersawn oak cabinets, and very light countertops and paint. So whatever alternate counter material should fit in with that. (Otherwise I'd be thinking soapstone all over, but I think it would be too dark.)

Comments (4)