Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Free Kitchen

Posted by Trebruchet (loosedeckcannon@gmail.com) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 10:13

My 81-year-old father-in-law purchased a small ranch home in a suburb of Toledo, Ohio, four years ago for $8,000.00. It had been owned by the cliched "crazy cat lady". She lived there with her mentally challenged son and 53 cats.

It probably should have been a demo, but Ned shoveled the living room clean, tore out hardwood, subfloor, and a few floor joists, removed drywall up to 4', studs and sills all to mostly remove the stench.

He's an old-school cheapie and was going to try to save the kitchen cabinets, but my wife forbid it. Fortunately, I had a granite removal and replacement job and got the pictured cabinets as partial payment. Ned had to rent a truck for $250.00 and help me huff granite as payment. I installed them, my wife who is a journeyman electrician by trade did the undercabinet lighting, and I installed the $168.00 Menards plastic laminate countertops.

We've had an unexpected trip to town for a funeral, so we've been staying here for the last few days. The new subfloor, tile, and paint throughout have beaten the cats.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Free Kitchen

Wonderful story. Lucky father-in-law.
And pretty darned elegant "free" kitchen.
Too bad you didn't have a "before" picture--preferably the scratch and sniff kind?

o

ARGHHH! Edited to remove duplicate post.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 11:15

o

I am sorry for your loss.

That is an awfully nice "free" kitchen!

o

Very nice kitchen - but it wasn't really "free" (except for Ned) if it was partial payment for a job you did. That (and the labor you and DW put in) was a very nice gift.

What's "huffing granite"?

o

Granite makes you huff and puff when you lift it, believe me.

o

I hope to have that much energy when I am your FIL's age. Looks great!

o

Wonderful! It looks great and must feel great that you and your FIL and wife did all the work. Love how it turned out. Good job.

o

That looks great, I'll bet he enjoys having that nice kitchen.

o

Nice work, great salvage! My husband drove an old BMW 2002 for years that he received as payment for a job. He restored it mechanically and eventually sold it to a guy who finished the interior/exterior work. The guy still drives it on weekends, not bad for a car that's almost 40 years old!

Huffing granite, now that's funny!

o

Beautiful!

o

Well done!

o

Beautiful! Ned's a lucky man with a great family.

o

How nice for your FIL! And some peace of mind for you and your wife.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here