Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ni_2006

possible to modify slow closing drawers to full extension?

ni_2006
16 years ago

Hi all,

Finally ordered our cabinets and now I am having second thoughts that we should have ordered full extension drawers. During the planning phase, we thought having slow closing drawers was more important.

Is it possible to modify the drawers once they have been installed? As silly as this sounds, this kept me awake last night!

Comments (8)

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I think you probably can, especially if you have frameless cabinets, but it means replacing all the drawer slides...both halves, on the drawer and in the cabinet. You can't change the order? I hate to feed your anxiety, but I could manage quite well without soft-close, but not full-extension. Those were a 'must have' in my kitchen.

• solarpowered
    16 years ago

I'm missing something. The soft-close ("blumotion") slides are all full-extension, at least according to the blum spec sheets that I have.

• boxiebabe
    16 years ago

If you want the full extension drawers and your cabinets are ordered, not yet rec'd, I would fully recommend that you try to do a change order - immediately! Why wait and then have to try to figure something out when they get there? :)

• mindstorm
    16 years ago

I'm puzzled just like solarpowered ... is it possible to get non-full-extension with soft-close? I thought soft-close was a further embellishment over full-extension.

ni_2006, you may want to check into what exactly you are getting and confirm that your soft-close aren't full-extension. Rhome is right - full extension is a non-negotiable must-have!

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We have been having so many issues with our KD (I have to take a deep breath just thinking about it) that I am afraid to complicate things any further by making modifications now. To be honest, I would be happy if the cabinets actually arrive on time!!

I will find out if the full extension option is automatically included if we are getting the soft-close option.

If anyone has ever installed full extension after the cabinets have been installed, please share the trick!

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Everyone may be right about soft close going only on full-extension, but if they're not, I'd sure try to change rather than worry about the dealings with your KD. This will affect you long after he/she is out of the picture.

There would be no 'trick,' just have to uninstall the slides they give you and reinstall all new ones. If you have line-bored holes inside the cabinet, the cabinet side of the set screws into those and you have to match the drawer height to that location and screw the other half of the set into the drawer. At least the location would probably be the same as the ones you removed, so the exact measuring necessary to get your drawer fronts lined up just right should already be done.

It's likely possible, but pretty tedious, and not a job you'll relish doing if you can avoid it by making a phone call. It can be difficult to reach into the back of the cabinet and get the right angle and proper force to do a nice job...especially with smaller cabinets. This would all be in addition to paying for drawer slides twice!

We'll be hoping you got full-extension with your soft-close and this whole conversation is unnecessary! :-)

• birkie_2006
    16 years ago

Those are two different functions. Full or 3/4 drawers can have soft close function. The full-extension drawers are a matter of the rail length in the cabinet and on the drawers. Full extension drawers are really, really nice. You want to order them if at all possible.

The soft close damper (at least Blumotion like I have with my IKEA drawers) is a piece you can add on (click on) to the back of the rail system. For the IKEA hardware, a pack of two costs $6.99 per drawer.

If your drawers work like IKEA's, it is much easier to add the soft-close after-the fact, than replacing the rails. So if you have to make a choice, perhaps the soft-close can be added later?

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all of you who responded to my message. I spoke with the KD and he was able to modify the drawers so that they are full extension. I feel so much better already!!!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor