Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions on kitchen island countertop needed!

Posted by Anne2326 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 10:12

Hi everyone. I have a very specific question I'd like to get opinions about...

We are renovating a smallish kitchen in a second home. Attached (hopefully) is a top-down view of the kitchen. The kitchen island will be long (9.5 ft) and narrow (32"). The space isn't wide enough to accomodate island seating on the long end of the island, so I'm planning to have a 12" overhang on the end closest to the door so we have have a bar stool at that end.

Here's the question--the style of the kitchen is contemporary--so I'm trying to keep the lines clean. When the fabricator came out last Thursday to measure the counters, DH pipes in and says the end of the island with the overhang needs to be elliptical so that people don't hit the corners when walking around the kitchen. (We have an elliptical edge on the island in our current kitchen (10 x 5ft island--elliptical edge on long side of island, and he likes it)

So--what do you think? I'm worried the elliptical edge doesn't fit with the contemporary style (I've scoured HOUZZ looking at island pictures!).

The countertops will have eased edges.,
Thanks for your advice!.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions on kitchen island countertop needed!

I'm not a fan of elliptical, and I agree it doesn't fit the modern esthetic you are going for.

I can sympathize with you because that's exactly something my DH would want! He also needs paths through rooms to be about 6 feet wide or he complains that things are in his way (and he's as skinny as a rail, and I'm not, so I always tell him if I can walk through a space without bumping things, then he CERTAINLY can!!) I've never understood why people can't look where they are going to keep themselves from bumping into things! lol!

But I am not a design expert at all. Hopefully others who are will chime in with their thoughts and expertise.

Good luck!

o

An eased corner only, not elliptical. And use some steel for invisible supports for the overhang. Something like the Counter Balance system.

o

What is an elliptical edge?

o

An elliptical edge is basically an ellipse (oval shape) that is bisected--much easier to see than explain! So the rounded end of the island, if doubled, would create an oval not a circle.

Buildinva and GreenDesigns--thanks for your comments! I know what the next comment from DH will be--well don't blame me when our future grandkids run into the corners (we have older teenagers right now --LOL). Of course, this house a 1960s modern (at the time)curved staircase with exposed metal supports. Just begging for kid to run under and bang his/her head!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here