Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cll2008

Full granite backsplash? To have or not?

cll2008
16 years ago

Hi all,

Does anyone have any pictures of a full granite backsplash? I have seen one picture on here and it is beautiful.

I have planned my kitchen around a tile backsplash, possibly glass. Although the one full granite backsplash I have seen is beautiful. I am wondering why most people don't do it. I was thinking it could be too much of the granite especially since we are looking at granite with lots going on. But it sure appeals to me when it comes to cleaning.

Anyway, DH has wanted a full granite backsplash from the beginning and is pushing hard today.

Opnions? reasons you did or didn't ?

Thanks so much, Crystal

Comments (38)

• bluekitobsessed
    16 years ago

For me it was a combination of too much granite and budget (my granite is pricey so I'm getting HD Daltile backsplash). My granite is blue!!! and the focal point of the kitchen, but I think it would work best in smaller quantities. Also, I liked the subway tile as a component of a cottage/farmhouse kitchen and full granite backsplash would havd been a different feel. OTOH, I believe it's considered easy to clean -- only one seam instead of all that grout.

• weissman
    16 years ago

I went with matching granite tiles for my backsplash - I like the look of the matching granite but going with tiles was 1/3 the cost of going with slab. It would have cost me almost as much as my counters. You can see pictures on my homepage.

• hollishenry
    16 years ago

We decided against a full granite backsplash because the granite that we are using is very thick and I did not want to lose that much counter space or deal with the way it looked on the edges.

• yanalg
    16 years ago

Full granite backsplash for us. look for organic donna in the FKF (stunning ble granite!!!), and hen there's Kansas City kathy with full marble B/S. RM kitchen is also going to have a full marble backsplash. There are others but I can't recall the names ;)

I think a lot of people don't go for full granite B/S of the cost, though everybody that I know who have granite and had remodeled kitchen recently did go for full granite B/S (my parents, best friend, aunt; uncle went with tiles like weissman).

Matching granite tiles is the best option to cut on the cost, but it only works for granite with repeating pattern, for more movement it would be difficult to match up, so in our case we used granite slab. The slab was 3 cm, but I do not feel that it wook away from the counters. It was tricky to figure out the window situation and special electrical boxes had to be used for the outlets, otherwise it was a piece of cake :)

We wanted the granite B/S b/c we wanted the granite to stand out w/o any competition and we felt we already had 3 dominant colors/textures (granite, cabinets and stainless steel) - why introduce something else to the mix???

And one more thing, the price really was not that much more for the full slab B/S. Since our granite cost included both the stone and fabrication, we got a better deal for getting more stone - which would've been a remnant left for the fabricator to dispose of. I think it was about 2K more to get the B/s in addition to the countertops. I imagine the tiles plus work would've ran us at least 1K.

GL

• susan4664
    16 years ago

We went back and forth on whether to do full backsplash vs tumbled marble. In the end we went with the tumbled marble for a few reasons.

We chose a granite that is very dark, and I didn't want that mirror-like reflection on the kitchen walls. Also, my cabinets were dark and I was afraid that if I went with a dark full backsplash the room would feel like it was "closing in". Lastly, I fell in love with the Mediterannean style tumble marble tiles I found. As far as cleaning, I sealed the tiles using 511 and Voila! Nothing sticks. It wipes clean just as easily as the granite.

My advice is, don't make up your mind. Choose the materials you love most, then decide how you'd like them to be arranged. If you love the glass tiles, then use them and enjoy living with them!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

My granite had so much movement it would have been overwhelming to do the backsplash too. I did consider it, and I also considered it behind the stove (on the wall with a stainless counter and backsplash) but in the end wanted some variety on the wall so I went with my chickens :p

Cost wasn't an issue since the cost of the backsplash would have been about the same as the cost of the tiles I had made or less. But really, it's just with such a crazy pattern, it would be too much in one space.

• cll2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! Hard choices. I want to build 4 kitchens so I can use all the materials I see that I want. LOL. I think a lot will depend on the pattern.

athomewith3-Love your granite, what is it?
    yanalg and susan-love both looks. We have dark cabinets and dark floors so staying light is important to me too.

igloo-I agree that my pattern will determine a a lot. Where can I see a picture of your chicken? That will be behind the stove? the gold tile elsewhere?

Thanks,Crystal

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

We decided not to do a full granite backsplash in part because of cost, but also because I thought it would be too much. Now I'm regretting that decision as finding a backsplash that looks decent with our granite has been a true mission impossible.

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

I'm not particularly fond of full granite slashes because it's too much of a good thing all in one place. However, I have seen one or two that look nice. I like seeing different materials for a nice contrast when it's called for, which it usually is in the kitchen. Just my 2 cents.

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Crystal,

We're doing half and half- sort of! Full granite backsplash behind the stove and under the two greenhouse windows,(but with graceful curved lines to 3 or 4" granite backsplash on rest of counters. (haven't decided on that- probably 3")

Several reasons-

#1 I had tile behind sink and stove before reno, and I hated cleaning that white grout! Am so looking forward to ease of cleaning one slab of granite!

#2 You really don't see the granite unless you're standing over it, so thought that being on wall, it will provide another view point- You can see my sink from front door, and when sitting at dining room/kitchen table will be able to see granite.

#3 For me, actually a cost savings, as KG who has dragged this kitchen cabinet and granite installation on for over a year, offered to supply it free! I also asked for free window sills too :>)

#4 Gives me the time (not that I haven't had LOTS already ! :>0 ) to look for and find the perfect backsplash tile accents. I may even have tiles made, I painted the drywall knowing I may be living with it for a while!

• lisa_sandiego
    16 years ago

Ours goes all the way up behind the cookstop, but only 6 inches on either side. If I had it to do over again, I would've moved the electrical to accomodate the granite all the way to the bottom of the cabinets.

• athomewith3
    16 years ago

cll2008, thanks, it is called Juprana Columbo Gold. We liked it for it's medium tone (not too light, not too dark) and for it's variation even more. Good luck again!!

• jtsgranite4us
    16 years ago

We went with full backsplash and are very happy with the decision. It is very easy to clean.

I believe a full backsplash looks great when you have the proper contrast between the stone and your cabinet color.

I can see cost being a factor if you need to purchase anohte slab just to accomodate the backsplash. A full backsplash requires much less labor then tiling and grouting.

Here is a picture of our backsplash:

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    16 years ago

I too will be doing a full granite back splash. I didn't want to go through the agony of trying to pick a tile that matched my multi-colored granite. I love my granite and it has so much movement in it. I know you really can't see it on the countertops unless you are standing over them. Since I am 5 feet 1 inch tall, that won't happen often.

I also have that gene in my body that will find the most expensive thing on the planet and fall in love with it and want it. I was loving the glass tiles, but the granite turned out to be cheaper than the glass tiles I love.

My granite fabricator will be booking my granite, so the flow of it will move from the wall down the countertop. Should be really pretty. It will go all the way up to the ceiling above my range. I am also doing undercab lighting and a plug strip underneith, so no granite acne from switch plates, etc. I knew I would have a horrible time trying to choose a switch plate color to match the granite.

It was lovely having one more decision made. That is the best part!

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

We did a slab backsplash (marble) for one reason and one reason only: I love the marble and wanted to be able to enjoy it from every vista, not just when I was working at a counter in the kitchen. Full stop.

not the most recent photo but I am too sleepy right now to take another -- sorry

And I have to say that last year when yanalg posted her scrumptious kitchen I just knew I was right!

But I've seen many kitchens with beautiful and complimentary backsplashes of other materials (sometimes drywall and paint), so there is no one right / wrong choice. If you were to think like me, it would be "how much do I love my countertop and want / need to see it no matter what?"

Good luck!

• whoooooooooosh
    16 years ago

I, too, went with full backsplash. Mainly because I couldn't come to terms with a change of texture or tone. The materials I considered detracted from my granite.

I do not like to see switches in the flow of granite so I put all electrical outlets and switches under the cabinets. Everything is a dream to clean and I love seeing it from across the room.

Here is a link that might be useful: backsplash

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    16 years ago

Whooooooooosh, what are the names of your under cab lights/plug strips? Are they a combo of both? I haven't seen that before. Do you like them? I was looking at having a seperate stip and a seperate light. I think yours is much more convenient. Does it light the countertop pretty well or mostly the back splash?

• yanalg
    16 years ago

Brooke, your kitchen rocks!!! (pun intended). Did you post any photos recently??? How did I miss that?

The marble is so stunning!!! I so glad it worked out at the end. WOW!!!

Yana

PS - thanks for your compliments again!

• cll2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! These granites with a full BS are beautiful. I love the idea of not trying to find something to match the granite. I have such a hard time with choices I would be another year. lol We are caling today to get another slab held. The cost will be a bit more, but I was looking at BS tile the other day and some of that was very high. Besides we have not gone over budget on one single thing yet, and we are even under on appliances. YIPPIE!

Thanks so much everyone. I had no idea there were this many full BS on here.

Crystal

• elizgonz
    16 years ago

I love, love, love, this granite backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: Patricia Gray Inc. - Granite Slab Backsplash

• housepoor2
    16 years ago

A nice compromise would be granite behind the cooktop and sink area- not too much granite, but just enough for an incredible effect. I have been searching for a kitchen I saw on this site that was beautifully done with this- can't remember who it belonged to- aagghh! The seafoam green granite is extended over the cooktop and as a backsplash behind the sink, but with incredible scroll detail. Cabinets were a soft white. If this kitchen sounds like you, please put me out of my misery and post the photo! :)

• edlakin
    16 years ago

well, i'll voice a dissenting opinion. i generally don't like slab backsplashes of any type. i find that they make the room feel heavy and leaden and, depending on the stone of course, tend to darken the room. someone said "too much of a good thing" and i'll agree with that.

that said, sometimes they work. they do lend a particularly modern, clean, seamless look, so if that's the aesthetic you're going for, then they'll serve that.

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

We went with a full granite backsplash for the reasons others have mentioned - no grout, easy cleaning; making our granite more visible from across the room. It also matched the contemporary/transitional high-lighting natural materials style of the kitchen. It might also have been difficult to find another backsplash material that went well with our cabinets, granite and other surfaces - it was hard enough choosing paint color.

In our case, the backsplash fit in the three slabs that we needed anyway so we didn't have to buy extra granite. It did make laying everything out to fit on the slabs with the best flow a bit more of a puzzle but we figured it out. We also used the sink cut outs to to get outlet covers made in our granite.

• theresab1
    16 years ago

personally I'm not a huge fan of it except for the keeping clean part which I think is great with a granite backsplash. I think its a matter or taste and the look you are trying to achieve= and what you like that is most important. When I think back on all the decisions to be made while planning our kitchen in hindsight I feel good that everything we did was our personal taste and thus the kitchen really reflects us (others may not like it) but we love it. Enjoy!

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Housepoor2,

It was Dorothy's kitchen, I believe!

I saved pics, cuz I love it too, and am hoping my KG can cut out a shaped BS for us too!

{{!gwi}}

• mike_r_2000
    16 years ago

I love the look of some full granite backsplashes - but it seems like if you're going to do it your choice of granite is so much more important then if its just the counter (not that the counter choice isn't very important too ;) ). I've seen a number of full granite backsplashes that were far too busy, and became overwhelming.

I really like the look of tile and worry about making the wrong granite choice for a backsplash - so I'll probably be going that route.

• housepoor2
    16 years ago

That's it raehelen! Whew... that one really hurt my head. Thank you. Still love this look, but agree with miker2000 - too busy a pattern and it won't work. Good luck!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

This is a weak mockup of my kitchen (I'm just learning to use the program) The chicken goes behind the range and the counters and BS on that side are stainless steel. The chicken will be surrounded (picture frame like) in nordic black antiqued granite, which is also on the hood trim. Then on the other side of the kitchen and the island, we have the vulcan gold granite (or something close) and the crackle subway tiles.
    {{!gwi}}

In progress...these cabinets went back:
    {{gwi:1428547}}

{{!gwi}}

• montalvo
    16 years ago

We did a full granite backsplash, primarily because we thought introducing another material would make things look too busy. There's inevitably a lot of "stuff" in a kitchen and we felt it would be distracting from some of the other elements that were intended to provide eye candy. Another consideration was that we didn't have much backsplash and that meant it wasn't a significant additional cost.

To each his/her own.

Bob

• whoooooooooosh
    16 years ago

mustbnuts

The lights light up the work surface and not just the backsplash. We're very happy with the lights.

The outlets are separate, but mounted very, very close to the light strip. (the electrician cursed until the air was blue!)

I've posted the name of the lights before, but for the life of me I can't remember the name and hubby is already exhaling zzzzz's! So I'll post again soon with the answers.

• whoooooooooosh
    16 years ago

montalvo

I lurve your kitchen... I'm salivating. Well done!

• lisa_sandiego
    16 years ago

Ditto!
    Now I want to start over.

• pinkpetunia
    16 years ago

We did a full backsplash in our last home (pic below) and it was especially nice to have behind the stove because cleanups were a simple wipe here or there.

{{!gwi}}

• cll2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am so glad I asked this question. I didn't realalize there were so many and I love'em. Thanks so much to everyone for posting the pictures.

lisa sandiego-your granite is beautiful and I think the way your is cut adds to the sleek look of your kitchen. Is that Delicatus?

igloochic, WOW! you have just searched the world over for unigue materials. That is a work of art. Is that really what your view is out your window? I would never get anything done because I would be standing staring out the window.

Crystal

• igloochic
    16 years ago

We also have a wine cellar Crystal so I tend to stand and look at the view and drink wine :oP

That's the cartoon version of our view, but if you look at the pic with the stove, on the right is the side of that window and you can see it's pretty much the same view. We're about three stories up above the lake, but the house is right on the lake (it's a five level townhouse). We have that view from two sides of the place.

That view is really how I got myself into this remodel mess LOL The place was a vintage cheap 1980's townhouse...and I'm turning it into something else I hope..just because of that stupid view we HAD to have!

So this thread now comes into play as we continue...I'm thinking of doing a full marble backsplash in the bathroom after seeing a couple of them here. Some of the lovely curved transitions from short backsplash to high are pretty fabulous.

• hobotron
    16 years ago

Hi Susan,
    I love your backsplash, could you please let me know the name of the tile ?

I would like to do the similar stone for mine as well.

thanks

• emmie2
    16 years ago

dear cloud swift, if you don't mind, could you please tell me the name of your granite? it's absolutely beautiful and something i would love to see in my own kitchen someday. Can you also tell me the name of the paint in your kitchen? thanks so much