Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally have a floor plan - will you please give input?

Posted by Kitten1313 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 10:04

Please let me know what you think of this design. We are converting our old garage into a kitchen and opening it up to our family room. Not a popular idea on GW, I know, but we want to maximize our lake views. :)

Thanks in advance for all of your wisdom!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally have a floor plan - will you please give input?

Can you use a pocket door for the pantry? Imagining gathering supplies to cook dinner and pantry door might be open at the same time as refridgerator.

o

I will check with architect - it may be more expensive than it's worth. I'm hoping to have the freezer door closest to pantry, which would hopefully result in less crossover.

o

Perhaps change the door hinge/swing on the pantry so it doesn't hit freezer and reverse. It is really nice that the dining seats at the lower island are in front of that triple window. One thing I noticed that might be a problem over time is that the fridge is quite a way from the family room, the dining room, and the island seats. Do you plan another beverage and snack area? Having the fridge where it is now is great for your work triangle, so I'm not sure you'd want to move it. One possibility is to swap it with the desk, but then the cook is walking a long way...

o

Thank you for the feedback. Good idea to try flipping the hinge.

We put the fridge there for the work triangle but also because we plan to house our vitamix right next to it, near the prep sink, as we use a lot of fresh (and frozen) produce on a daily basis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here