Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skeylargo_gw

Jim Bishop Cabinets anyone?

skeylargo
10 years ago

I was looking at some of the lists posted on this site with cabinet "ratings" based on price and quality but did not see Jim Bishop on the list. Can someone enlighten me about the quality of them? I am not looking for high end cabinets but something that will hold up for a while and the finish won't come off (that's what happened to my current cabs). I was given what seems to me like a very attractive price for them but can't seem to find much info on them.
I know there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum and I already found lots of invaluable information.

Thank you.

Comments (8)

• kdchic
    10 years ago

Hi, I recently started to carry Jim Bishop Cabinetry. They are not a low end product. American made, in Montgomery, Alabama, they are a family based company with integrity & very close attention given to their finishes, quality control & customer service. They offer different levels of boxes as most do, a particle /economy box, as well as a white-laminated box, a ply box, & an eco-grey box. The Company also offer's an exclusive line called LogiKitchen. It is very forward thinking, with an emphasis on compartmentalization. Delegating each station of the kitchen with organizational components. Every drawer, roll-out, etc is designed for an individual need for storage/purpose. I find their stain & paint finish to be of great quality. Alot of KD store's carry the bigger names, conglomerates, some mass produced, or orient made & can be priced less. I offer a lesser orient produced line myself. But JB is my best line, it is not cheap, it's AFFORDABLE, & as your preferences go up for an i.e. ultimate (grey) box, as with any 'Brand' so will the price, as would the cabinets depending on the wood, finish, stain, glaze, etc.There's also the option of eco freindly reconstituted wood finishes, Parapan, Lumicor insets & metal frames. I've designed 4 projects with their cabinetry. No complaints so far!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

My kitchen cabinet company offered JB as one of their higher end brands and the owner spoke very highly of them. I considered them, but went with another brand which was less and also having a sale. I don't think you will be disappointed if you select them.

• Nicole D
    7 years ago

Did you ever get any more feedback on Jim Bishop cabinets? I'm interested and love the construction details on paper but when I saw the demo cabinet in person the joints in back were cut sloppy and filled in with glue to compensate. Anyone have any issues with the framed box construction?

• Allison0704
    7 years ago

I just saw this and see that sis2two mentioned my name (three years ago). Oops!

We have their upper price range boxes in four bathrooms and the laundry room. The only issue we've had is in the MBath, which is stained. Another bathroom is also stained, but rarely used. The finish around the knobs (two) on the cabinet that sits between the sinks/on the counter is slightly loosing its finish - not becoming lighter, but like a top finish is coming off. It's only noticeable up close.

The drawers and doors still look new, are easy to keep clean (some stained, some painted/glazed) and no problems with the boxes. Moved in 10 years ago. We also have bookcases lining an L shaped hallway from Jim Bishop.

• Nicole D
    7 years ago

excellent to hear! thanks for the quick response :) I'm doing a post-flood remodel and jumping headfirst into the glamorous world of cabinetry. There's just so little info on them but one of my cabinet criteria was plywood construction to fit non-standard spaces. They also have hickory which I am thrilled about!!

• James Hintze
    5 years ago

I would look for another manufacturer. The plywood they use is very low quality. A number of our cabinets had splintered sides and backs. The lacquer finish is peeling off some doors less than a year after installation. Two drawers are crooked and do not close flush.

• Allison0704
    5 years ago

What line did you use, James? We have been in our home since 2006. The laundry room cabinets and bathroom cabinets have all head up nicely and, for the most part, still look new. DH seems to sling more on his vanity, so I clean the fronts more often. That finish has held up nicely, even with more cleaning. The only issue we've had is the cabinet that sits on counter between our sinks - the finish is slightly worn behind the knobs. Knobs with backplates would have prevented this problem.