Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
niley

Kitchen Hardware and other ideas. Looking for feedback.

niley
14 years ago

We switched our kitchen hardware out 5 years ago, but now we are ready to make the switch again. We are stuck with our oak cabinets due to other investments we have made in our house. The original cabinet hardware was brass with white porcelain and we switched that out to a black traditional hardware. We are wanting to move a little more contemporary. We tried the "standard" round contemporary pulls and the were a little too contemporary. Let me know what you think of our current selection. It might be hard to tell from the picture, but the new hardware is satin nickel.

We are planning a neutral back splash and some red accents in the kitchen. We are open to other kitchen suggestions from the everyone....paint, backsplash, accent color.

Thanks for you feedback.

Comments (19)

• allison1888
    14 years ago

Here's a site that has lots of options. Also, I love the red accents -- will liven up the space.

Here is a link that might be useful: hardware

• chloe_s_mom
    14 years ago

I like the shape of the new hardware, but the darkness of the old....hmmm...

• catheemivelaz
    14 years ago

I think the new choice just blends too much into the cabinet. My opinion...I think ORB (oil rubbed bronze) would go better w/ the oak and the red you want to add, and still be contemporary
    check out this website..and trust me (and many others on this forum) don't let the price fool you into thinking they are not good quality..they are awesome! Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Your Home Supply

• debsan
    14 years ago

Of the two you've selected, I prefer the satin nickel, but only because you've said you're striving for an updated look. The black looks good with the cabinets, but the style is too traditional. I think I'd look for a larger bar pull in black or ORB. I think if you really want this kitchen to look more contemporary, you might have to go with something fairly bold. I'd look at something like the one selected below.

BTW, I too have used "Your Home Supply" and was very pleased. The quality & price were amazing--especially compared to the other hardware e-tailers, I purchased from.

Here is a link that might be useful: Large Bar Pull in anodized black

• kakimoto
    14 years ago

I think Niley meant that the black hardware was the one they changed to 5 years ago and are now thinking of changing to the satin nickel ones.

Anyway, I love the style you have chosen. Not too contemporary with your traditional style cabinets. Can you give the details on where you found this style? I think you may have found MY new hardware.

Now I do agree with the others that the finish just doesn't work with the honey oak cabinets. My two suggestions would be to use the same hardware in a different finish (ORB would look nice). OR, why not paint those old oak cabinets? We have almost the exact same cabinets that I painted in a dark brown color (similar to what many others here have done) and it has made such a tremendous difference in the overall look of our kitchen.

• kulagal
    14 years ago

Debsan: I loved your suggestion for the matte black cab pull and have already inquired as to whether they will ship to HI! Thanks!

• niley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jaty - You are correct in that the black hardware is what we updated to 5 years ago and the nickel is what we are thinging of changing to. I found the hardware at Lowes, but I found it here online for a great price. I also found it online for a great price. See below.

It seems like the general concensous so far is to stick with a dark colored hardware that is more contemporary than what we currently have.

We had considered painting the cabinets, but I just can't bring myself to paint the cabinets. I haven't seen too many GREAT cabinet paint jobs. It just doesn't have that great factory finish. We like the look of dark cabinets, but we fear that we would tire of them quickly. We have also considered going with a classic "white" kitchen, but the wife doesn't like white kitchens. She appreciates white kitchen in other's houses, just not ours. :)

We also fear painting them from a resale value perspective. We're not huge oak fans, but we know many people like it or simply don't care.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Hardware Link

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

I vote for the satin nickel ones. I think they go nicely with your cabs, and give the contemporary look you want.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I like the satin nickel ones too.
    But the nice thing about hardware is you can change it
    again later. :)

• niley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Looks like opinions are swinging back to the sating nickel hardware. Sometimes it's so hard to decide...who am I kidding...it is always seems hard to decide. There is part of me that thinks the satin nickel is great and ties well with the SS appliances and there is part of me that thinks that the black has much more of a POP factor. Decisions Decisions.

• mbarstow
    14 years ago

Okay, I am going to throw something radical out here. I'd paint those cabinets a deep burgandy red, use bold and large flat black hardware and you will have a terrific new look. Go to the paint forum for expert advice on how to get the most professional job.

• niley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK. I just had a crazy idea. What do you think if I were to pull the panels out of the upper cabinets and replaced them with a frosted glass or frosted material.

I've seen this done with other woods, but I don't know how it would look with Oak. Any thoughts?

• caryscott
    14 years ago

I think the satin nickel pull is too sleek, finish is fine but I think with oak you need something a bit chunkier to standout against the grain of the wood (black works because of the colour contrast).

I think it's a good idea but I don't think for all of the uppers, but maybe.

• positano
    14 years ago

I just happen to see this finished kitchen yesterday. She painted her cabs dark and gives step by step instructions.
    I think it makes such a difference!

Here is a link that might be useful: girlwithaspirins kitchen

• tamaradelaluna
    14 years ago

Hi Niley -- this is off your topic, but I love your countertop! I am remodeling my kitchen right now and looking at countertops. May I ask about yours? What material/color? Thanks! BTW, I liked the oil-rubbed bronze pull idea. I added oil-rubbed bronze pulls to my oak cabinets and love them. Also, I cleaned my cabinets thoroughly and then went over them with a minwax stain/sealer. Made a HUGE difference! Tamara

• faseeh
    14 years ago

You can find more options for granite coutertops at www.BuyStonesOnline.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Countertops

• debsan
    14 years ago

Kula, glad you liked the suggestion. I went through several styles before I found the right thing. To be safe, I'd order one and try it before committing to all of them.
    I picked out the perfect hardware before the cabinets were in. After I'd purchased a whole box, I realized they looked dull. I ended up going with a larger (6") pull, but it took me a few attempts to find the one that gave me the "feel" I was trying to achieve.

• olga_d
    14 years ago

They look too yellow-toned to me and really blend in with the cabinets. Are they the same colour as your appliances? I was thinking something a little more stainless/silver looking would be better, but then I like contrast.

Perhaps even black pulls but in a more contemporary style would be a good choice.

• debsan
    14 years ago

Okay, Niley--after you came up with the good idea of replacing the wood panels with some kind of frosted glass, I've been dying to know if you'd made any decisions. Don't know if you've investigated that possibility further, but you wouldn't have to replace them all, to get a big change.
    I know you'd love to have a new kitchen, but really your kitchen is very nice the way it is. I'm sure just a few small touches could freshen it up, so I'm curious to know if you've done anything to it.