Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

Spring KAW....crepes!! ( pic heavy)

User
11 years ago

The people at photobucket have no way to make a slide show at present :( So...here are the pics of my fun this AM. I haven't made crepes in decades. I made the batter last night. I used a buttermilk crepe recipe I found on the net. Very easy. I used my homemade kefir cheese for the filling. I had drained the curds in a sieve for a couple days and impulsively decided to use them. I sweetened slightly with sugar and added the zest of one Meyer Lemon...whoa...so yum ! Strawberries and powdered sugar and Voila !!

DH was my one armed helper. He broke the head of his humerus 2 weeks ago so is in a sling. He was in charge of stacking the crepes with waxed paper and also in charge of keeping me calm :) He did a stellar job !! Oh and he snapped a couple pics...one-handed !!

Enough chatter...here are the pics !

very cheap non-stick skillet and brush with scant butter:

remove skillet from heat and pour in scant 1/4 c batter...note consistency

swirl to cover bottom of skillet thinly ..need DH to take pics of this :)

cook till lacy browned at edges :

flip and finish for a few seconds on other side :

stack with waxed paper...need a sweet DH for this !!

kefir cheese filling :

spread on crepe and fold in triangles :

serve with sweetened strawberries and dust with powdered sugar add cafe' au lait ....ohhh...ahhh..yumm !

Comments (27)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Trailrunner - you are awesome!!! I am getting hungry just looking at those scrumptious crepes!

I bet my ScanPan would make an awesome crepe pan!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2..go for it and post back...here is the recipe!!! ;)..thank you . c

Here is a link that might be useful: crepe recipe

• leela4
    11 years ago

Trailrunner-you and DH are amazing-you should have a blog with all your KIAs!

Hopefully the crepes help DH feel better-not a fun break (as if any is . . .)

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Ok, we all need to be invited over! Your food pictures are always phenomenal.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Leela you are sweet ! We are doing OK with 3 hands :) I now know why I want him around and how much he does...all it took was for him to not be able to help. Makes me appreciate to the max !!

ellen you come on by any time ! I would love to have the whole gang over..pot luck on 8th St !! thank you . c

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Gosh TR
    I was ogling those crepes and missed the part about DH.
    Talk to the doc about early mobilization with pendulum exercises to keep his shoulder from "freezing"
    Not sure my DH would help me if he only had one paw!

I snagged the recipe to give it a try. Thanks

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

That looks awesome! Thanks for the recipe, now if I only had some homemade keffir cheese laying around I may give it a go this weekend!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2..yes he is doing those for sure. He doesn't have to have the sling on when he is in the house so he is mobilizing it within the limits the Dr. set. We are hopeful that PT will only be a formality by the time the 6 weeks are up. Keeping fingers crossed ! Thank you for answering back . I appreciate it.

Kellie definitely give it a go. You can use Greek yogurt that you drain instead or else cream cheese. Please post pics both of you ! Thank you ! c

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Yumm-YYYYY!

• eleena
    11 years ago

That was cruel! LOL.

I cannot enter my kitchen b/c of the tile work being done and I want to make those crepes NOW! :-)

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cat....they were indeed :)

eleena...in a short while all will be done and then I want to see pics of yours !! thank you both !! c

• Linda
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness, your pictures brought back memories of my Hungarian grandmother making the thinnest, lightest crepes ever! Sadly, I was young and didn't fully appreciate them at that time -- I look forward to bringing those memories alive!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

legal...I hope you will try the recipe I posted. They are very tender and light. I hope you too will post pics. c

• User
    11 years ago

c - You sucked me in with the biscotti recipe (I know, you weren't responsible for how many I ate), but I am NOT starting down the slippery slope of crepes! They look and sound scrumptious! I'm even more impressed that after 2 weeks you seem to have gotten past being overwhelmed. I must say at that time I didn't think being overwhelmed sounded like you but you just had to work through it and it seems you have! Good girl!

• heidihausfrau
    11 years ago

Looks yummy! I can't wait to get cooking again. I learned to make creeps last summer---kids ask for them now all the time. We don't use cheese though. May have to switch from nutella and powdered sugar to cheese :)

• pirula
    11 years ago

Yum. I'll be right there.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

java..yes I am AWESOME :) haha...I have actually got everything done ...well except I have to sand and repaint the back porch...sigh...other than that I really am caught up...please don't come to check and see if I am lying ! Crepes are very low in calories...you should not fear them..and so are the biscotti !! I would not lead you astray :)

heidi..they are wonderful with the slightly sweetened lemony cheese in every bite..like a cool blintz !

pirula...I have the table set ! c

• ott2
    11 years ago

Hi! I made your crepes for dinner! Except, I substituted goat cheese for kefir cheese, and blueberries for strawberries? Probably lost something in the swap, but still really good! However, it didn't look like much batter, so I doubled..., and I was wrong..., and now I have lots of left over crepes. How best to store extras?
    I think my 16 yr old son loves you... :-)
    Ott2

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ott that is hilarious ! thanks for the laugh. All substitutions are good. I just had two with lemon curd ...yum....The recipe makes one doz. if you use a scant 1/4 c. They keep very well so breakfast tomorrow and then a snack..and then :)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I am making the batter right now - just have to figure out the filling. I have yogurt and goat cheese in the fridge - will look to see what I can find.
    Breakfast in 2 hours....

• withoutanh
    11 years ago

I have successfully frozen unfilled crepes. I left the waxed paper between them and put the whole stack in a zipper freezer bag. Thaw in fridge for awhile but check to be sure they aren't getting soggy (may need to put them on a kitchen towel to dry out.) Heat briefly in micro or a few seconds in a skillet.

I like having things like this around--like money in the bank when you need somthing quickly.

Just have to say I love trailrunner's KIA posts. I am also an RN, and we like being prepared ahead of time and being sure procedures go flawlessly...it sneaks into all areas of one's life.

Sara

• eleena
    11 years ago

BTW, what does KAW stand for?

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

KAW = Kitchen at work and
    KIA = Kitchen in action are the word for the 2 acronyms used frequently on GW

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A2...where are the pictures !!! ????? You know we love pictures !! :)

Sara..you are exactly right ! Be prepared. Glad you enjoy the posts. I know I am an "old " kitchen renovator...it has been 7 yrs but some of us still like to come back and visit and share and learn with all the new ones. I think it makes the forum more informative and interesting. I hope you will post pics too when next you make crepes. c

• plumberry
    11 years ago

which brand cooktop did you say that is? Looks like it's a winner,..

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

plumberry..I have a 36" Caldera gas. The company was in Vermont and supplied the cooktops for New England Culinary Institute. That is where my son and daughter-in-law went to culinary school. I heard about them from my son. I love the cooktop and have had no issues with it. They are still around on some websites. I don't know about warranty issues. I haven't had any and my cooktop is now 7 yrs old and has had constant use . I love the closed burners and the spacing of the burners, the simmer and high heat center wok burner. I am sure it isn't for everyone but it was SO inexpensive and has held up so well I can't complain. There are others on the forum that have it also but none of them post any longer. c

• eandhl
    11 years ago

Crepes look delicious!!!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm