Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcorn

WWYD with this extra 3"?

kcorn
9 years ago

We just found out that we have an extra 3" between the sink and range. We will now have a total of 45" to use for drawer bases in this space. Trash and dishwasher are to the left of the sink so we are trying to decide the best base configuration between sink and range. I would like a 30 or 33" drawer next to the range to hold pots and pans. So that leaves us with an option for:

12" base to right of sink + 33" base next to range

Or

15" base to right of sink + 30" base next to range

(Note we have another base to the right of the range that will be 27" and two other 24" drawer bases along the refrigerator wall)

Which option would you prefer? Thanks for any input.

Comments (13)

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

IF the range is to the left, then the DW needs to move to the right of the sink so that two people can function there at the same time.

You really need to post a layout of the space for the context to be relevant.

• kcorn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

From left to right: The trash and dishwasher are to the left of the sink with the 45" space in question to the right of the sink and then the range followed by a final 27" drawer base.

I am all set on location of all other items and just curious if anyone had a strong opinion on having a 30" vs 33" for pots and pans next to the range. Then the other cabinet will be 12 or 15.

Thanks!

• Skyangel23
    9 years ago

we have a 12" base in our current rental house that is empty because I don't know what to put in it. It is quite narrow. I am not expert but I would vote 30" and 15". :-)

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

A 12" drawer stack is fairly useless (had one). A 12" base cabinet is great for cookie sheet/pizza stone/cutting board storage. I put a little drawer above mine, but have since seen them with a shelf inside the door, which would be better use of the space, and perfect for rolling pins, aluminum foil, or other long, narrow items.

I'm not sure you gain enough in a 15" base to be really useful. I have an 18" four-drawer stack with small utensils, bags and wraps, and dish towels in the top three. The bottom one has a bin for potatoes. I think it would be crowded at 15" (at least for my things). And 15" would be pretty big for tray storage, unless you have a lot of them (mine is 9", and just right).

I also think the 3" would be most useful in a bigger drawer. I have a 34" drawer next to the range, and it's terrific. I did split the top drawer - one is for potholders, next to the range; the other is my "junk" (actually tool) drawer. It seemed like the thing to do at the time, but I kind of wish I had just put a divider in a single drawer.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I had a 12" cabinet with drawer above in my previous kitchen and would never waste 12" on a cabinet again, with the exception being what ankh suggested -- for your tall narrow items such as cookie sheets and cutting boards (I also had a 9" cabinet dedicated to my stepstool and I loved that). 12" drawers and 12" cabinets are otherwise pretty useless.

• kcorn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback! Maybe I should go with a 9" cabinet for cookie sheets and cutting boards with a 36" drawer base. That seems like it might work giving me optimal space for pots and pans along with enough space for sheets.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

That would be perfect!

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Here's my 9" cab. I use the drawer above for three things: pop tops from aluminum cans, Cambell's Soup labels, and "box tops for education". All of these use to live in little dishes on the counter, and since one of the goals of my remodel was to reduce countertop clutter, I'm thrilled to have a place for them. That drawer really isn't good for anything else, except maybe new sink sponges or scrubbies.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

depends on how many 'sheet' type pans / cutting boards / trays you have - might want to stay with 12" for that use.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

You might want to layout and measure your pots and pans first. I have a 30" 3 drawer base for pots and pans. Really an extra 6" wouldn't really do me any good. My pots and pans fit in the drawer a certain way so than an extra 6" would just spread them apart not give me the ability to hold more.

I do have a 9" base with no drawer for flat pans and such. Seems just right. 12" I think would be too much unless you had a divider.

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

Framed or frameless- it matters.
    I avoid anything under a 15" cabinet unless there is simply no choice- was taught to call 9s and 12s "losers"
    Aim for 18-21 with dividers for trays AND LARGE FRY PANS, and you get a drawer that works above, 15 is ok.
    Pot and pan drawers 30-33 are usually optimal if you know what your doing with drawer dividers; 27 is minimum if frameless.
    BTW why is the trash on the same side as the DW -you can't scrape into it and then load the DW that way?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I have my trash, then my DW. I just close the trash and load the DW. No twisting and turning from trash to DW.

I hated my 12" base cab tray storage for cookie sheets and cooling racks. Something always got pushed to the back. I would use a 9" for cutting boards only.

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

I would also prefer trash and DW to be on opposite sides of the sink. The trash should be on the side that is between the sink and range.