Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coastal_modern_love

Miele induction cooktop over drawers?

I am hoping someone here can ease my fears please!! I have planned for a Miele 30" induction cooktop over a bank of drawers. KD thought nothing of it. I just got a call from my stone fabricator & builder (they are templating for counter) telling me that the install guide calls for the unit to go over a "dummy drawer". I am so upset that my KD did not foresee this very important (to me) fact, as my kitchen is small so every drawer and corner has been planned accordingly!

Someone out there PLEASE tell me they have installed this unit over a drawer with no problems and ease my fears!

Comments (13)

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

Any induction top is going to have some magnetic field leakage below the unit.

If an electrically conductivity object is in the field it will be heated, if it is also a magnetic object it will be heated more.

If you stick with glass and plastic objects in the drawer heating is not going to occur (non-conductive AND non-magnetic).

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

You need 5 inches of clearance under it to accomodate the cooktop base so the usual way is to have a dummy drawer, you wouldn't want to have a deep drawer and see the underside of the cooktop.

I have an 8.75 dummy drawer and 2 times 10.75 inch drawers under that one. My cooktop is the 36inch model.
    I think your KD thought nothing of it because that's just what it has to be.

I have another place with the same cooktop where I have 2 open sliding shelves under it, I think there is less space wasted that way.

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My full time home has a Thermador induction over a cutlery/utensil drawer. Never had any heat problems or overheating in 5 years. That's why I didn't think twice about doing the same (in our beach house) using the first drawer for cutlery/utensils. But my builder tells me the drawer under can not be used!!
    The plan calls for 4" clearance under I believe. So the only use for that top drawer would be for shallow items anyway. Are you suggesting I just not use this drawer? Shouldn't the KD have brought this to my attention, and planned for a dummy drawer since they had all the specs? We included this drawer in our plan as the cutlery drawer. Do I take this as the KD's oversight and have them remedy the loss of space somehow? So frustrating, these "little" problems keep popping up in the last stages of finishing!

• cotehele
    13 years ago

Interesting question in view of LWO's thread on KDs. The KD for our custom cabinet company had no clue about this. Someone on this KF had worked out the details, and I adapted it to my design. This is under a 36''flush mount Miele induction cooktop. We TKOs are just driven to find solutions to situations some KDs have never seen.

The 5'' clearance is met with a plywood bottom under the cooktop. The stone fabricator cut two holes in the bottom to push out the cooktop. The upper drawer front is higher than the drawer, so it looks balanced.

I keep silicone spatulas, tongs, chopsticks, brushes, a fork and a draining tool in the drawer.

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Did you arrange this beautiful drawer for me :)
    Your 2nd photo is EXACTLY what should have been done in my space. If they put that protective base under the cooktop I will loose function of the drawer completely. I am NOT happy. My Thermador does not call for a protective base. My drawer is right up against the bottom of unit, maybe 4"off. Is this protective base required or suggested I wonder? If my KD has no clue...
    I will take this pic to my builder to see what he can do so simulate your setup. Thanks! I think it will help, and maybe this will be the solution to help my mood as well!

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I just doubled checked the Miele induction cooktop specs and you need a minimum of 2" from the bottom of the unit to usable space. That's the one drawer we haven't installed yet but I plan on keep flat spatulas/utensils there... similar to cotehele

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I'm also interested in this as the Miele is on my short list when I switch to induction b/c you're supposed to be able to use the top drawer (unlike the GE versions, Profile and Monogram, that would fit my existing cutout).

• sochi
    13 years ago

We use the drawer under our Miele induction. I store cutting boards and measuring cups/spoons there now, ceramic dishes a few months ago (see picture). I don't put metal there, but it is a normal size drawer depth.

• sochi
    13 years ago

I will just add that my Miele isn't flush with the counter as in Cotehele's kitchen. I imagine that makes a difference.

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for the pics! Sochi-mine will look like yours when complete. It will be top mount not flush and I have a 6" drawer under. Looks like there is hope for me yet!!

• davidro1
    13 years ago

brickeyee's discussion of magnetic field leakage may be only theoretical. I have no heat buildup under my induction cooktop. Remember that a distance of 1/4" is enough to stop the pot from getting hot, above the cooktop, so the strong heat generating field is very slender above the unit, and there is nothing indicating it would be strong anywhere else.

"CYA" may be the key word phrase that lets you figure out why a dummy drawer is called for, coastal_modern_love.

Call Miele and talk to people there.

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree with david about the magnetic leakage, only because I do not have this problem with the Thermador unit. To make a long story short: My appliance guy got in touch with CS at Miele and they said we should follow the installation guide's instructions with a dummy drawer. My appliance guy suggested this is due to warranty issues. Since I've already made 3 more decisions today and am feeling empowered, I will continue my plan for a usable drawer and see what happens.

• macybaby
    13 years ago

I'm another one with a drawer full of metal right under my induction (including a magnet) and have no problem with anything heating up. And I've simmered two pots for about 5 hours, and even during that amount of time, nothing happened. But CYA is always important for the manufacturer.

Cathy