Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathy725

Please help with backsplash ideas, and sneak peak at new kitchen

cathy725
11 years ago

Yes, it's yet another request for backsplash ideas. I'm in the middle of the renovation and trying to figure out the ever tricky backsplash issue.

I have cherry cabinets with volga blue granite. The walls are a light grey (reads a bit blue). I like the wall color. Love the granite. Originally I was thinking a carrara marble subway tile might work, but it seems too white. I also looked at glass tiles, but not sure I like any of the colors. So I'll post photos and would love your thoughts and ideas.

Also, my GC wants me to do a 4" granite backsplash. I don't see how that would work well with tile on top. I think he loves the look of the granite and wants to see it on the wall.

Peninsula:

Kitchen (in progress)

marble backsplash idea

glass tile ideas

marble/tile shot

Other ideas are most welcome. I'm getting tired of looking at tile. I am also trying to pick out tile for two bathrooms so I'm really hoping to make some decisions soon.

Thanks for any and all ideas!

Comments (29)

• pseudochef
    11 years ago

I can't help with the backsplash but I think so far your kitchen looks great. What kind I tile do you have ? We've been agonizing over a floor tile choice.

• angel411
    11 years ago

I love your kitchen! I think the marble BS would look fabulous. Your cabinets and floors are just so pretty!

• threegraces
    11 years ago

I think the marble is too much with your granite. I like the glass tiles you posted better. The left and middle would give you more neutrality to change around the colors later should you want to.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

I love your kitchen so far! In your pictures, that marble looks really nice with your floor, and I don't think it's too white. Whatever you do, just say no to the 4" backsplash. I've seen some kitchens where it is really nice design element or necessary for some reason, but I don't think that's the case here. You want to leave plenty of room for your pretty backsplash, whatever it is.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I think the scale of the movement of the granite and the veining of the marble are too close to each other size-wise. Of these choices I think the glass is better.

• Holly- Kay
    11 years ago

So pretty! I like the glass tiles much better than the marble. I really love the grey tile (and I am not at all a fan of grey) with your granite.

• smiling
    11 years ago

I like the light gray tile best. It doesn't compete with that gorgeous granite, just accentuates it. You're so right that the gray wall paint reads with a definite blue cast, so I'd be worried about putting up a blue glass tile in that setting. Your kitchen already looks wonderful, I love the beading detail I can see in your pics!

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

i like the glass best. love the finish on your cherry!

• modern_mom35
    11 years ago

I agree with others -- the marble doesn't do anything for me. the lighter glass would be beautiful. your cherry cabs are stunning! don't do anything to distract from that glory...

• Molly Phillips
    11 years ago

Agree with the others as well. The middle glass looks lovely with the granite.

Your cherry cabinets are BEAUTIFUL. Love them!

• LisaSE
    11 years ago

Yes, the middle glass tile looks the best to me - nice and simple!

• cathy725
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input. I have more of the middle tile, so I'll post it and see what you think. I wasn't sure if it was too light.

I also have a mosaic tile that is very pretty, but I think it's too busy with the granite.

Pseudochef: The tile is Keystone Grey tile. It's special order from Lowes. It looks like stone but is a very strong porcelain. I liked that it has texture to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Keystone Grey Tile at Lowes

• jellytoast
    11 years ago

Does the Volga Blue granite come in tiles as well? You could add dots or some other contrast with granite tiles rather than doing a short slab backsplash with tiles on top.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

You're not the only one with volga blue....check out this other thread on GW...

Here is a link that might be useful: volga blue

• pseudochef
    11 years ago

Thanks Cathy725 for the tile link. It's really pretty. I know this is distracting from your seeking backsplash help but would you mind posting some more pictures of the tile? Our cabinets are somewhat similar to what you have. The picture on Lowe's of the tile shows much darker than what appears in your kitchen so I'd like to see some more real world examples. It's so hard to tell from little samples!

• mrspete
    11 years ago

I LOVE your granite. We're definitely looking for either Blue Volga or Blue Pearl -- something in that general family.

As for the 4" granite. I'd say no. I'd hold out for exactly the right backsplash tile, and I'd want it and it alone. I think the 4" would only detract from what you have; three different materials in this area would be way too much.

As for the backsplash -- do you have other options? I'm not loving either of these too much. I pretty much hate marble in all its forms (and am quite unrepentant about being the only person on this forumwho feels that way), but even if I were a fan, I wouldn't like it in combination with your granite. The glass tiles are better . . . but they don't live up to the great granite.

I'm sure that the tile needs to be very basic, very simple. Otherwise it'll compete with your granite.

What about a black glass tile subway (or whatever would basically match the granite in color but be a little different in texture)? Or take the lovely granite all the way up.

• cathy725
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm still open to other options. It is hard to find something subtle but still complementary. My DH thinks the glass alone is too stark. So we are still on the hunt.

I'll post a separate thread with more kitchen pics and include more of the tile. It does look dark at first, but I like all the color variation in it and it isn't too dark in the kitchen.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I don't have any suggestions but when mocking up your backsplash ideas be sure to notice the reflection of the tiles on the granite. Your granite is gorgeous but it is also darkish and shiny and will really reflect anything you put up. For eg - look at the link that Annie... posted - you can really notice the band of tile reflecting back on the counter. I'm not saying that it is good or bad, just make sure you notice it so that there are no surprises.

I don't know if something matte or shiny will reflect more.

• sandesurf
    11 years ago

Hi, Love your kitchen and couldn't help but notice that the layout looks very similar to our vacation/retirement kitchen! We just remodeled it last year, and I'm still without BS! I take that back, it's been two years!
    Sorry, I don't have any words of wisdom for your BS decision, but would love to know what you plan on doing around your windows. What is on the other side of your sink, next to the penninsula? Here's our kitchen. I'd be happy to share more pictures but don't want to take over your thread! :)
    Good luck!

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

I haven't seen that granite in person, but wow yours is so glossy and beautiful. Love the way it looks with your cabinets; the peninsula looks soooo pretty.

Don't like the marble BS with your granite. Agree with palimpsest that the scale and pattern of the movement is too similar to that in your granite. They'll end up fighting rather than complementing each other.

Of the glass I like the one in the middle. More neutral than the others and looks to go very well with the color of the floors. I don't think it's stark. The subway is a great shape that melds with the traditional ( transitional?) style of your cabs, but the glass has a modern feel and goes well with your fabulously glossly granite which is the star in that kitchen. Keep it simple.

BTW, no matter what the backsplash or what the GC says, no No NO to the 4" granite BS!

If you have more of the glass tile, yes please post a picture with several in place so we can see how it looks and please show us whatever else you find!

• njasmine1
    11 years ago

I'm with the GC I would do the 4 inch granite back splash. By the way that granite is beautiful.

• cathy725
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well it turns out the glass tile I had more of was a different shade than the light one everyone likes.

My DH is with the GC and wants the 4" backsplash and tile above. I tried to explain to him that I didn't like the difference in thicknesses between the granite splash and the tile. He suggested to put an edge on the top of the backsplash to help with the transition. I'm not convinced it will be a good look. I did see the other thread where someone had put an edge on the top of the granite splash, but then no tile.

The big problem is the GC wants to do the backsplash when he tiles the upstairs bath--which is sitting gutted waiting for me to make some tile decisions (I have been looking and looking for backsplash and also bath tile).

He is willing to wait for me to make a decision, but while I do, work has stopped. I'd like everything done by mid-May because we are trying to plan a party for my son for his birthday/eagle scout celebration.

Arghhh!!!

• Homeblessings
    11 years ago

Big Favor please - Would it be possible to post a better picture of your floor-Maybe from a different angle so I could see more of it. We are looking at that tile to purchase, and it would help with our decision. Sorry to hijack your OP.

I like the light grey glass tile the best, but make sure you look at it at different times. The piece I liked looked too blue at night. I heard that glass will often look different once it's installed, so you may want to look into that more if you pick it.

• cathy725
    Original Author
    11 years ago

homeblessings--here are a few more photos from before they grouted and before cabinets--I hope it helps. I took a few more pictures but will have to upload them tomorrow.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Nice floor Cathie.
    So why is the GC and DH so hot to add a 4" backsplash? Is the GC charging yiou more for it? I don't see that done too much anymore.
    Good point about the thickness difference. If he's so insistent pursuade him to make a sample from scrap pieces. Then decide.

• Linda
    11 years ago

Tell your DH he can clean off he 4" "ledge" all the time! Just say NO to the 4"! I like the middle glass too. You want your granite to be the star -- not fight with a busy backsplash.

• cathy725
    Original Author
    11 years ago

legallin--that is exactly what I think. Now to convince the masses.

GC isn't charging more for the granite--granite cost was included in total kitchen price. GC just likes granite and is very traditional in kitchens--he's stuck in his ways a bit, but he does know his stuff, so I do listen when he makes suggestions. I just don't agree with this one.

DH is the one I have to convince.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

I agree to forgo the 4" granite. My best friend has Volga Blue and she used the gray glass tile. Absolutely gorgeous! It made the VB sing!

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

There's a difference between traditional and dated. Maybe you could convince DH the latter is what you get with a 4" splash. Good luck!