Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phillyfeet_gw

meet with cab maker tomorrow - help with oven and dish placement

phillyfeet
9 years ago

I am meeting with the cabinet maker tomorrow and i am having a lot of second thoughts about the wall with the pantry/micro/wall oven. We will have a pantry closet elsewhere in the kitchen, so i am wondering if i should make the cabinet smaller and place it to the right of fridge and then have more counter space along the wall oven wall. If i do that, then i could lower wall oven to under counter and store dishes and glassware in uppers. Originally i was going to keep our daily drinking glasses next to fridge and i had no idea where to put the dishes - no uppers near dishwasher.

Here's pantry wall:

Comments (14)

• phillyfeet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fridge wall (will be changing to drawers next to range)

• phillyfeet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Overhead

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Personally, I probably would. Put the tall cab to the right of the fridge, move wall oven down, and have all that be counter space?

There is landing area beside the stove for the fridge, so that counter space to the right of the fridge is practically pointless whereas you would utilize it a LOT better on the MW/wall oven wall.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Why not switch places with oven and fridge? I'd put the fridge on the left end of that run. Then your fridge would be closer to the microwave which makes more sense. And you'll have a nice stretch of counter space.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

I like your idea, whereis your dishwasher ? Is it right of mainsink?
    That counter to the right of fridge looks pretty useless to me, unless coffee maker maybe? I think a pantry cab there would be better use of space. If DW is right of main sink, it would be sort of close to the wall oven run, so putting dishes over there might be most efficient, or have you considered dishes indrawers? Does the storage under island face main sink or range? Disclaimer, I am not an expert here, just an end user!

• phillyfeet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks everyone!

The dishwasher will be to the right of the main sink (though it may have been to the left when these drawings were first done)

I have thought about a dish drawer, but i am do used to having them stored in uppers, that i wasn't sure if i would like it any other way.

the storage under the island will face the stove - that is where i will do most prep. Because i have a set up now with the fridge in front of my island cart, i really like being able to quickly reach behind me for things. That's why i changed the design from having the fridge on a different wall from the range

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I can't tell from the pictures, but I assume that the portion of the kitchen cabinets housing the sink and dishwasher has no walls? If that's right, then I'd leave what you've got, I'd store dishes in the drawers to the left of the sink (that you can see in the picture). I'd also change out the pantry cabinet to make it uppers and lowers so you get more counter there (coffee maker? Soda stream? Other appliances?). The biggest issue will be where to store glassware, since you have no place near the dishwasher to do so.

• phillyfeet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sjhockeyfan -you're right, there are no uppers by the sink and dishwasher. If I store the dishes in a drawer next to the sink, should I put the pull out trash and recycle bins in the island? That was where I thought I was going to put it but then I started having second thoughts and thinking it should go by the main sink. I won't have enough room by the main sink for dish drawers and trash pull out

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

What's to the right of the sink? You could put the trash pullout there. But some people think its much more convenient to have the trash pullout near the prep sink and just an under-sink small bin under the cleanup sink - they may have a point since most non-food trash is generated during prep, not cleanup.

• phillyfeet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

there are drawers to the right of the dishwasher and i am not sure if i am keeping the angled corner cabinet to the left.
    Our cabinet maker offers 1 free cutlery drawer and i have it in the peninsula, but i was wondering if that should go to the right of the dishwasher.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Can you switch the dishwasher to the left of the sink, and then use the 30" drawer base on the "L" for both cutlery and dishes?

What is the purpose of the 4" overhang on the back of the island?

• phillyfeet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i had wanted the dishwasher to the left and another KD that i had met with said i could put it there. the KD we are using with our cabinet maker said there wouldn't be room to keep the sink centered on that run if the DW is on the left. I'm not sure if having it centered is that big a deal to me though. The only problem i see with having it to the left will be during clean up, if i keep the dishwasher open while loading, it may be harder for people to help me.

i'm going to have to ask about that overhang. i think it was put there because she likes to have some room behind the faucet.

BTW, she doesn't like my idea of pantry next to fridge on range wall.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

With the expanse of counter you already have on the peninsula, I wouldn't angle the corner (and this is coming from a woman who loves her angled corner cabinet).

• phillyfeet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just want to thank everyone for their input on Friday. I met with the KD at the cabinet maker's yesterday and feel really good about the changes we made.

I moved the pantry next to the fridge, slid the wall oven down so it is stacked under the microwave, increased the depth of the uppers on that wall to accommodate glasses and dishware and removed the angled cabinet by the peninsula. We are putting in an undercounter fridge on the microwave wall for snacks/overflow and drinks.I also put in a lot more drawers while leaving some base cabinets for my tall, odd shaped pieces. I think it is going to work well for my family.

You all helped me out a lot!